Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS  (Read 7611 times)

Description:

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Realtime FW DVcam grab and display on MacMiniG4/MorphOS
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 05, 2010, 07:37:32 PM »
Most of the HW MorphOS supports does have a FireWire connector. No-one is forced to use FW and people can keep using USB2 if they like. At least I welcome an easy way to quickly connect a Mac to a MorphOS box and have access to the HDD (Target Mode). USB2 can't do that, unless if I open the Mac, remove the HDD and place it to a USB enclosure.

Sure you could use smbfs but samba is slower than firewire, and there are quite a bit of setting up to do, unlike with this firewire target mode.

I bought a device that can be used to connect 2.5" and 3.5" SATA HDDs in various ways. Connectivity includes USB2, FW400, FW800 and eSATA. Out of these USB2 is clearly the slowest. Now I have an option to use firewire as well.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;583057
Same goes for MOS as a whole.  I think it's a great OS.  But until it has native apps for productiviy, I.E. a real office suite, native audio/video editing, and easy-to-use DVD/CD authoring software, it will continue to languish.

Someone still uses those old school laser discs? :-P

What about somebody porting OpenOffice to MOS, or at least AbiWord and GnuCalc?  

OO probably could be nice to have but I dont think any of apps mentioned above make difference. MorphOS is small and you can not make it better by just porting random number fo *nix applications from yesterday (especially as the operating system needs more work). I can agree FireWire is on the same boat with PPC but it is still better have FiWi stack than no FiWi stack at all.

MOS will continue to be just a toy until that happens.

What is wrong with toys, you dont like toys? :-)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:01:49 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
This is great!
In some other thread I've read something about MOS running on PowerBook (excuse me if I`m wrong, I never was into MOS)?!
In such a case I'd considered buying a used PowerBook and MOS! ;-)
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
Firewire is also used on almost all high-end external drives, like the two Lacie drives I have sitting here on my desk which replaced the USB 2.0 drive I had previously.  It's two to three times faster, with a fraction of the CPU usage.

Being able to connect these drives to my MorphOS machines too will be fantastic.

Given that firewire ports have been on every piece of MorphOS hardware (apart from Efika) since the Pegasos 1, it's been kind of ludicrous that there has been no firewire stack before.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 09:59:34 PM »
Ferrls

You clearly are an amiga os4 fanboy. Yomgui is not an official morphos dev. If you havent noticed most independent devs with a brain usually code for Morphos over os4 that should tell you something.

FW drivers in any incarnation is a major feat for an Amiga like platform.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline kolla

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;583109
FW drivers in any incarnation is a major feat for an Amiga like platform.

Yes, it's right up there, along with floppy driver support :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
You know its funny that its usually people who have contributed nothing, or not much that have the most critiscism for those that do contribute, those that are working on something to benefit all users of the system.

I agree with Piru, if you prefer USB2, use it, but it certainly can't hurt that I can use my prosumer camcorder with firewire on morphos. It is still quite a standard for many dv cameras, regardless of what you think.

Besides this many guys that do video projects (like me) use many cameras, some older too, some of them have usb2, and some of them have firewire, some have both. having firewire supported can't hurt, and I applaud the efforts of those who are making that happen.

Steven

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
@ Ferrells

It's quite easy. I have an external hdd with Firewire and I can connect it now to my Mac mini and Pegasos and access it with MorphOS. That is an increasement of usabilty. I have that stuff and I can use it now (well, actually I wasn't able to test it myself yet, since I am not at my main home currently). It is a very easy situation and a very nice advancement. Big thanks to Yomgui, his stack increases usability of the system.

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »
@Magenetic

OS4 fanboy?  Not hardly!  I actually prefer MOS over OS4.  It's faster and has a much slicker interface than OS4.  I actually have OS4 and MOS dual-booting on my PegII but I rarely use either one these days.  I just have no reason to use them anymore.  They're both hobbled by a number of issues and it's just easier for me to use Linux or Windows to get things done.

And I never implied nor stated that Yomgui was a member of the official MOS dev team.  Where did you get that from?  I said he was a MOS developer as is anyone who writes code for MOS.  Why do so many people on this board read between the lines and see things that simply aren't there?

As for FW drivers being a major feat for MOS, I have to refer to kolla's last post......

Quote from: kolla;583110
Yes, it's right up there, along with floppy driver support :)

I DO see the advantage of being able to tie a MOS box and a Mac together to transfer files.  But that's about it.  You could just as easily have copied your data to a USB stick and transferred files, but that's too easy for a lot of folks on this forum!  :-)

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 01:44:27 AM »
Welcome to Amiga.org Yomgui, please enjoy and stay a while.

:)
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 02:09:56 AM »
@ferrellsl

We have to use Firewire to transfer from our 10,000 Petabyte drive, that much data will not fit on our largest USB Flash drive.

:)

Offline Yomgui

• Show only replies by Yomgui
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »
@All:

Even if it's not SBP2 related thread... don't forget to report me your SBP2 tests and speed. And if possible indicate the hardware and chipsets used.
Don't hesitate to compare with USB2 with various copy way: Ambient, by shell with "copy buf=128" and increase the buf value until 2048 (more is limited by my code... 2048*512 = 1MB buffering).

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
Quote from: Yomgui;583004
Hello everyone. It's my first post on a.org! cool  :drink:

Apple has not removed any software or hardware supports.
Even thirdparties applications also (all video sw support Apple FW).
See the latest MacMini : it's supposed to be the low-end of Apple's computer and have everything

http://images.apple.com/macmini/images/features_portdiagram_20100615.jpg

Only constructors of "media for the mass" want to bury it, due to the simple reason of the extra cost of a 1394 bridge in the HW design.
Furthermore, supporting 2 kinds of external ports is really a mess for some devices... and specially when purpose is the same (I don't care about efficiency here). See the removal of FW port inside the iPod serie for ex.

Then second reason: USB is an Intel idea, the one that drives modern computer designs. It's normal that they don't want seeing FW dominate the market.

:laughing: I've also a good sens of humour.. I'm going to demonstrate it:

Good! Just need to wait 20 years and maybe have an OS4.56 support :mickeymouse:
... or not

What're missing camera capabilities?
For sure FW cameras are not designed to be a phone!

Final notes:
I'm really proud to have make this stack. Now MorphOS has it. Used or not... It has it, it works. What else?

Now I think I'll work on a simple video editor (something less complex than Blender).

Note: Blender 2.52 on Mos works now to edit and save videos. I've just to sync the code because my current svn sync uses an old FFMPEG api.

Welcome to Amiga.org Yomgui!  It used to be a very friendly and positive place to hang out, but there are a few members that now feel that they need to crap in almost every thread with their negative opinions and random facts thrown in to make them feel smart, or important.

Congratulations on your latest work on the FW stack.  It is a valuable software work that will be used by many users, like myself.

I look forward to your next project.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »
Yes, that is true!  ;-)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
Firewire may be of questionable value now but was, and likely still is, a much better connectivity system than USB. It has far lower overhead than USB, especially at high transfer rates. Bit of a shame it didn't win the race.

USB may be ubiquitous and devices cheap, but technically, it is a bag of arse for high throughput data transfer.
int p; // A