Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Utopia - the best strategy game on the Amiga  (Read 2557 times)

Description:

Offline KayTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
Utopia - the best strategy game on the Amiga
« on: December 12, 2002, 05:39:13 PM »
I'd just like to say to any developers out there: Utopia was the best strategy game ever on the Amiga. And what's better: It hasn't been succesfully cloned, meaning that there are no superior/newer games quite like it (as far as I'm aware of). If you want to make a killer strategy game for the AmigaOne, base it around Utopia. Utopia is a real-time strategy game, but it is different from other games in the genre. For example, instead of just building a base (power plant, light factory, etc.), you're building a full space-age colony. I've been carrying an image of a Utopia style strategy game in my head for some time now, but lack the time and skills to make it reality anytime soon. So I'll pass the idea along.

Please, someone, make the next Utopia, and give the AmigaOne a unique advantage over other platforms!

Kay

Offline Ransom

• Show only replies by Ransom
Re: Utopia - the best strategy game on the Amiga
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 06:14:04 PM »
Cool, another Utopia lover. This game has alot of great things going for it, I have spent many a happy hour trying to reach utopia :)

Anyway, if you really have a good game-design in you head, I might be able to help you out with the code part of project :)

Offline KayTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 07:26:14 PM »
> Cool, another Utopia lover. This game has alot of great things going for it, I have spent many a happy hour trying to reach utopia :)

I've played through every single scenario but the last one (very difficult, that one), and actually broke the happiness measurement (it went straight from 100% to 4% and never moved again :-D). Anyway, glad to see another strategy enthusiast who knows a good design when he sees it. :-)

> Anyway, if you really have a good game-design in you head, I might be able to help you out with the code part of project :)

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I've been thinking about this for some time now, and it isn't the first time the thought crossed my mind either. I might start working on a more concrete design after Christmas (currently I mostly have a bunch of ideas). My next semester at the uni contains only computer-related subjects, so I should have some more time (compared to the hellish mix of project management and economy, formal logic, and heavy maths I've been through this semester).

Kay

Offline KingTutt

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 07:42:44 AM »
Good ideas Kay, I hear ya pal. There are alot of games that were formerly on Amiga Classic, that unfortunately haven't been carried forward in todays games, as far as sound gameplay concepts are concerned. These days we see very rigid game genres, like your PC RPGs or FPS. Where's the variety. I completely agree with your stance. AmigaOne would do good in employing ideas such as this as the driving force for its Gaming line.

Of course buddy if you have any more pearls of wisdom, feel free to post more here  :-D
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline KayTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 09:23:13 AM »
> These days we see very rigid game genres, like your PC RPGs or FPS. Where's the variety.

Exactly what I've been asking myself! It's all "by the formula" these days. Back in the old days, I could insert a disk into my A500, and something completely fresh and original might appear on the screen. Don't see that happening these days...almost every strategy game is "Command and Conquer with better graphics and more units" (C&C itself being basically Dune2 with better controls). Almost every action game is "Wolf3D with better graphics". This is where the Amiga can be better, and we should take this opportunity.

Not to diss porting though. There are some very good "unoriginal" games there, and we need these to keep up. But in order to stand out we need something unique.

Anyway, the more I think of it, the better my Utopia-clone looks. I will start working on a game design either during my Christmas holiday or shortly after.

Thanks for the encouragement! :-)

Kay

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 02:20:29 PM »
I agree completely with what you're all saying. I look att the flood of new games to the PC, but nowhere do I find even the slightest _originality_. There are som exceptions though. The brilliant strategy game Europa Universalis and its successor show that slightly original (well, I said slightly) games can be successful. But sadly few original concepts make it to the shelf nowadays.

My favorite strategy games are Alpha Centauri (of turn-based games) and Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (RTS). Brian Reynolds, who designed Civ II and SMAC, left Firaxis (Sid Meiers company) a while ago (apparently in part due to the fact that the games were called 'Sid Meier's' although Reynolds designed them) and his new company are relasing their first game (Rise of Nations) early next year. It's going to be a mix of RTS and TBS with a realtime-environment like the Age-series but with concepts like borders and cities from TBS-based games. Hopefully this will be a nice game.

Whatever is released though, I can't help but feel the golden years of computer games have passed. As you say, the feeling of just popping a single diskette in the computer and get a whole new and original game running is unmatched by today's games. When I look for a game I do not look for nice graphics but for a great game idea and presentation. Sadly, many game developers are probably under pressure to release beautiful games and are not encouraged to invent new stuff that may or may not sell enough... Today's games often feel bloated with   cut-scenes no-one wants and containing a burdening amount of extra graphics features. But I guess this is evolution...

Offline KayTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 03:10:22 PM »
> My favorite strategy games are Alpha Centauri (of turn-based games)

Hear, hear! SMAC (and the brilliant Alien Crossfire) is defineately the best of it's kind. One of the things I'm looking forward to about the Christmas holiday is the opportunity to spend long nights playing network SMAC against my step-brother. :-D

Kay

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 04:20:26 PM »
"Hear, hear! SMAC (and the brilliant Alien Crossfire) is defineately the best of it's kind."

Hehe, I think your avatar very much indicates that.  :-D It sure is a brilliant game. I really love the background music and the whole layout of the game. The 3D-terrain is cool too. And the atmospere is nothing short of awesome. :-)

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 11:10:51 PM »
You guys never tried K-240? Utopias sequel.
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline KayTopic starter

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2002, 12:41:03 PM »
> You guys never tried K-240? Utopias sequel.

I have a boxed copy of it, and have played it quite a bit. It's a good game, but somehow, I liked Utopia better. I think it might be down to the asteroid setting being a bit too restrictive.

Kay