Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems  (Read 15773 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:51 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;527103
Cool!  You shouldn't need a very big sys: partition.  500MB would be plenty.

If it's say... 10GB, is that going to present a problem with bootup or speed like it might on an Amiga? This drive is 160GB... so figured 10GB could be the system partition. That's what I installed. Just need to figure out how to change screen modes now. Sys: prefs...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:20:44 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
Might have to reduce the boot partition size. It's taking forever to boot back up. Don't know if that's the problem or not. System seems to have 'crashed'. How long does it usually take to boot? And it says it has 105mb ram... is this normal? Supposed to have 128mb...

And shoot... we're stuck with Cybergrafx drivers? I've never liked them. Use P96 on my other Amiga's, even with Cybrgrafx cards.  lol
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:40:34 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 11:48:42 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;527112
It's Cybergrafx 5 and it's actually very good!
It shouldn't take ages to boot back up.  105mb is what mine always says.  Is it stuck on the boot logo?

Yes, but I just reduced the boot partition to 900mb and it doesn't look like it destroyed the data anywhere! I'm rebooting now and will see what happens. Black button turns on the system and red resets? Now that I have that figured out... lol

-edit-

She boots super quick now! Efika or MorphOS with Efika must not like super large boot partitions...I don't have a 2 button USB mouse.... but are there supposed to be drop down menus from the top of the screen like AmigaOS? Ambient is Workbench? This looks sweet!

Oh and you can just shut her down like an Amiga? Unlike PeeCee and Mac? I'm done with questions for now. :)   Guess it's time to check out the MorphOS sites!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:55:49 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 12:03:21 AM »
Thanks for all the answers Ruud, I appreciate it! I'm waiting for my GF to come home from work with a new CR2032 battery. System after a short while comes to a crawl. Hoping replacing that battery will allow the key recognition to take. Oh and I'll be sure to get a 2-button mouse before too long. Gotta maintain that Amiga like feel  :-)  Already have a sweet and compact Apple style black keyboard from an old Power Mac already. Perfect fit for this!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:06:16 AM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 04:34:13 AM »
Well, I took a break from this quirky little system for most of the night. Upon first install, I had all sorts of monitor issues. Couldn't get the system to play with my LCD. Finally reduced the boot partition down to 996mb and re-installed her. Now, MorphOS sees my Acer x22w monitor and has a bunch of screen modes to choose from - although I can't seem to change them, even after saving and rebooting. Still, I was pleasantly surprised at how "intelligent" the Cybergrafx driver must be. I'm sure I'll get this thing licked before too long - just wanted to give an update to how wrong that first install was. I don't know exactly what happened there, but it caused the system to act very strange. Must have been a combination of things - but I suspect that battery might be more important to this little guy that it is to some other computers.

Oh wait! I just noticed that I actually have MorphOS 2.3 installed! rotflmao   This has been a long night. But 2.3 sure seems to be doing more than my original 2.4 did!  lol
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:38:48 AM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
@Kronos, yes - I performed an update last night before bed of 2.4 over 2.3. All seeme well now. Placed the tag BM after the efikaintall.img command and that allowed me to choose a 1024x768 screen thta was semi-Acer x223x friendly. I say "semi" because the screen was all washed out and I could barely make out what was going on. Clearly, the refresh rate or something built into the Cybergrafx driver is a little off for this monitor.

@ Ruud: speaking of monitors, Yes, I go into System/Settings from the pull down menu and clicked on Monitors (or screens as you called it). Doubled clicked on the video card edit setting, which brings me to the Ambient setting. Save, reboot and it doesn't change the screen mode. BTW, this has always been my experience using Cybergrafx on a real Amiga. And in fact, even P96 with this monitor. On my Amiga, not only will it not save the change, but it will often crash the computer! Okay, back to this Efika deal... ONLY way I am able to change Ambient's screen mode is by going directly through Ambients MUI setting and changing/saving it there. Yay! That works  :-)   Just curious as hell why it doesn't work through the other way.

BTW: am using OWB right now to read and reply! Was also amazed to find that simply hooking up my ethernet... the comptuer and MorphOS knew it was there! Didn't have to fudge with a TCP program of any kind like you have to normally do on an Amiga. Just need a good mail/news program now, though I suspect YAM is still the best?

Gosh and I just thought of something else if someone doesn't mind confirming... on my boot partition, I noticed several AmigaOS like drawers. 'C' is one of them, but nothing is in there! There's a drawer labeled 'MorphOS', which has the same type of files of course, but it's 'C' directory is jam packed with goodness. Does the OS or EnvArc know to point to all these files within  the MorphOS folder or do I need to copy this stuff over? If they're supposed to be empty...what are they there for? Will programs or Amiga programs install and do there thing outside of the MorphOS folder?

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 04:30:37 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;527183
There are too different setting one called "screens" (top left) one called "monitors" (bottom right).  Not sure which one you tried :-?

Yes still YAM :-)  Morphos version is available.

The MorphOS drawer is used by the MOSSYS: assign.  The idea is you don't touch anything in there.  You just add extra libs, devices, commands etc. in the Amiga-like places which will be pretty much empty after a clean install.  This is really great as it separates third party and core system files and means when you update Morphos in the future you can keep all your settings, user startup etc. without them being overwritten.

Ahh.... found the 'Screens' icon... its' in the upper left. Monitors is in the bottom right. Sorry 'bout that. Still strange though that even within monitors and then editing the 'screen', it doesn't take. Oh well. Some of this MUI/Ambient/Workbench/Screenmode/Monitor business is VERY confusing to me sometimes.

And yes, sounds great the way system files are now handled. Totally makes sense (unlike the screens/monitor business - lol) and should help curb install disasters.

About the battery... I did experience some quirky stuff there too, although I did change it out with the power off. Seems to me that as long as the system gets rebooted AFTER your morphos.key is in Devs:, then you should be fine. And yeah... I need to get a router someday. As it sits now, I'm in the habit of resetting my cable modem each and every time I switch between the Mac & Amiga. Hmm... I have this wireles WiFi 54M USB adapter sitting here... I wonder if Efika/MorphOS will be able to make use of it yet?  That's a big negatory... Poseidon doesn't like it  :-(

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »
Thanks for the clearer explanation Kronos. So is it just a glitch then when you're in Monitors, but editing Ambients screen mode that it doesn't take? An omission maybe?

Well... I'm trying to get a long with this little system, but before too long, I experience freeze ups. It does get a little warm in there, even though the 9250 video card does have a heatsink. The CPU sits right underneath this HD, so the system seems a little too warm for my tastes. I just added a small fan inside the computer and it resides right between the power connector and on/off switches blowing air through the case and over the CPU. Hope this resolves the crashes! System would freeze randomly after some time, but usually when messing around with a window or if a window was supposed to pop up. In the case of a requester, you'd see the outline of its box and then the system would hang  :-(  One of the attractions to Efika was supposed to be its silent operation, but like I said, it really does get warm in there. This is quite the buggy system, isn't it? Anyone else experience these hang ups?  And sometimes, you have to let the damn thing sit for 15 or so minutes before she'll start back up again  :-(   This whole experience is leaving me wondering if the MacMini is the way to go  :-)   MorphOS seems really nice, but as of now and even considering the speed difference, I'm not about to trade in my 060 equipped A2500 for this experience  ;-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »
Weird. Well, ever since adding the fan, she's been more reliable. Just "installed" YAM. Same probs here as on an Amiga. Installer crashes, says it can't find a source file or something. And then copying files got me there for the most part. Still, program didn't know where the MUI files were or where .lib was - copied those to their respective drawers... fixed the .lib prob, but not the MUI stuff. Found you you have yank the MUI drawer out of the Install folder and place it in the root YAM drawer. LOL  Program doesn't care that there's a drawer in SYS: called MUI.  Thankfully, we Amiga users are used to not using Install scripts. Amazing and frustrating that all of these problems remain, follow amd haunt us! lol  Still, it's a lot of fun learning this system. Using a Microsoft 2-button mouse now and that really helps. Will be looking for a scroll wheel'd mouse here soon!

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:27 PM »
Well, that's using an Amiga too. I'd say I have more trouble than not using installer scripts. Kind of like Cybergrafx drivers. lol  But they seem fine with this Efika system now.

So... no dock? I remember reading somewhere somebody didn't get the license to use that? Apple has dibs on the concept I guess? Maybe I can install the Dock from OS3.9 disk  :-)   Just found this 'Panel' thing though... seems like that'll be good enough - LOL!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:30:38 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
Hi Dave, you're absolutely right I haven't taken the time to read up much on this system. The Efika came with no docs at all, but I've read how to install (and it's pretty basic actually) it from a USB card, mount the .iso et al. For about a year, I've kind of passively been keeping a pulse on MorphOS/Efika & Sam/OS4.1 for that matter - so this wasn't a total 'blind' or impulsive purchase per se. Sure does "feel" a little different than I was expecting though. Problem was, you had to dig deep to find that there's a boot menu switch that I needed for installation with my Acer X223w monitor. Up until then and being a hardware guy, I was suspecting something was wrong that way. The other install problem (and I was doing everything everyone suggested, including the install directions in Docs) I could not overcome was the fact that a clean install of 2.4 would absolutely not recognize my Acer monitor. Even with the BM switch. Only way MorphOS would see that monitor and include all of its settings was to first install 2.3 and then upgrade to 2.4. I'm sure maybe all I had to do was find a config file somewhere and drop it over, but seems to me something is goofy with the srtaight 2.4 install and my situation. Either that or my 2.4 .iso got corrupt somehow.  

Still... got it worked out now and am now starting to enjoy the system finally. Been running for hours with the fan. Will have to try it without the fan and see if things become less stable. The best docs and adviice sure seem to be from users with experience though - so thanks all for the help. Gonna see if I can get M.A.M.E. running on this puppy now  :-)

-update-

So maybe it wasn't a heat issue why I'd get the random crash. Might just have been the flaky USB hub that came with the machine! I noticed most of the ports are super loose. Contact not the greatest, so considering the quirkiness of Efiak's USB bus, perhaps that was the problem? Not one crash now going on a couple of hours without the fan. Next up, I want to learn how to get the flash plugin or even the Arexx .swf file grabber for OWB to work :-)   Not having luck with *anything* that relies on an install script yet. MorphOS obvious has an installer, but put Amiga Installer 43.3 in the 'C' drawer for "good luck". Guess I'm going to have to get down and do some serious reading :-(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:29:12 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45:04 AM »
Quote from: Acill;527069
Better yet, sell the Efika and pick up a mac mini!!!

I'm actually considering doing just that if the .key would be good for the Mac Mini version?

• Show all replies
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;527357
The key is tied to your individual machine.  The MorphOS team will only transfer it in the case of hardware failure.

Gotcha, thanks. So far, I'm having a blast with this little machine. Learning what AmigaOS files I can copy into the empty Sys: drawers right now without screwing things up. lol  Still, mostly using MorphOS native programs at the moment because I haven't quite got the hang of using Amiga stuff just yet, although I suspect I might have to modify some assigns. Still kind of confusing; this seemingly transparent and integrated MorphOS over AmigaOS thing.

• Show all replies
« Reply #27 from previous page: November 08, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;528787
Anyway, glad it sounds like you are finally up and running!

-nate

No biggy Nate! Got a lot of help here in the meantime and just now made space for the little system. Desk that used to have my A2500 on looks a lot neater and tidier :-) (A2500 in game room now)

@zylesea: I do not hear the garbage out of the audio like you do, but there is a "funkiness" going on with the audio section for sure. Sounds really distorted or noisy with certain sounds. No wonder they included a optical out  ;-)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:14:59 AM by save2600 »