Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems  (Read 15770 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show all replies
MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »
Having a bit of trouble getting this to install on my new HD which did not have a previous install. Not even sure if it is formatted to be honest and maybe that's where the problem lies?

System hangs and drops its video signal after quark is displayed. I've looked at the MorphOS site and it mentions something about trying to boot the .iso manualy. Did that too and about a half an hour later(sigh), the system just freezes. Is this because the Efika only has 128mb of ram? Nothing built into the firmware that switches to video ram when necessary?

I've got both the morphOS.key and .iso image in the root directory of my USB drive. Same with the install image of course. Anyone know what's going on here? I don't have any tools or a PeeCee to format this 2.5" drive, so I hope that's not the problem...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:46:56 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS2.4 Efika install problems
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »
Quote from: pan1k;527057
boot scsi:0 morphos-2.4-efikainstall.img with the flashdrive connected directly to the usb ports on the Efika. Make sure the flashdrive is formatted FAT32. If that doesnt work, try just plain ol' FAT.

I've installed MorphOS countless times and this always works for me.

Done that, still no go. Is there a switch after this command line that I'm supposed to do with a new HD? As it sits now, system hangs after Quark/OpenFirmware is displayed and if I try to boot, says no file system recognized.

BTW: There's two buttons on this damn thing a black and red one. I discovered pressing both together, the system resets. Plug in the power supply and the system is automatically on. Tried pressing both in separately, hoping for a shutdown, but nope. Do they have any other function besides reset?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:12:01 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
No, I do not have a PATA adapter to monkey around with. I did just order a SATA to USB Adapter though for use with the SATA drive I accidentally bought. lol

Guess it figures the drive was not setup or formatted huh? Just my luck. That SATA adapter I bought was only $10 shipped. I hope it works. Guess I should buy a PATA to USB adapter for this drive next. No PeeCee's here. Just Mac and Amiga.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;527067
Don't try using the PATA to USB adapter on the EFIKA, connect it to your Mac to check the drive's format and do any partitioning you want.

Right - I got that  :-)  I'm pretty confused right about now. The Adapters I'm seeing say SATA/PATA in the title, but when you click on them, they mention nothing about PATA. Just SATA and IDE. Are PATA and IDE the same?

I wonder if the one I just bought (and have yet to receive) will work? Will SATA to USB adapters work with that PATA drive? I'm not buying another computer without the frickin' OS installed already. I've read about installation nightmares with MorphOS and that's exactly what I'm experiencing right now  :-(  Guess I shouldn't be surprised! lol

BTW: do you think I am confusing the installation process by having other files on the USB drive? Such as other morphOS related installs or images? You'd think not, but... and I wonder if I should try installing a different version of MorphOS? I have the ISO image for 2.3, but on the .img file. Can't find them anywhere on the net and they're certainly not on their website  :-(

And I don't suppose putting an Amiga HD utility program on that flash drive would get me anywhere either, huh?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:30:42 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:32:03 PM »
Quote from: Acill;527069
Better yet, sell the Efika and pick up a mac mini!!!

But I just bought the damn thing because it came with the license!  :-)

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »
Quote from: Acill;527075
Did you get it from Dave? I am sure he will help out, and I was joking, but I would much rather get a license for my mini over the Efika!

No, bought it from Nate (I think he only checks his e-mails once a day when he gets home or something, so thought this would be quicker) - Dave posted his for sale right afterwards, but he's been helping. Thanks Dave!

Okay... just tried a different card. Same exact problem! UGH!!

After the Quark text comes up, what's this thing supposed to do? Do you HAVE to have the Ethernet hooked to it? Or should the computer boot into some kind of Disk Utility screen? That seems like the logical answer to me, but I'm running blind here...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:59:55 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 10:23:24 PM »

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 10:24:46 PM »
Quote from: pyrre;527084
I had some problems myself installing morph OS...

I used the built in format tools.
Before you start the install tool but when in desktop...
Explore the menus, it is there somewhere...
Prep the HDD first. it should do the trick...

I can't get the Efika to boot into anything. Hangs after a while.

I just measured the voltage of its BIOS or backup battery... it was dead. Could this be my problem?

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »
@Doctorq, thanks! I'll get the known tested one then  :-)

It's a Samsung PATA drive that Nate (previous owner) recommended I get and yes, she's hooked straight into the internal 44 pin header. I did not screw that drive in though. In fact, I just put a couple of anti-skid rubber bumpers over the last two (away from the header) mounting holes, thinking it'll go nowhere and aid in anti-vibration. This does mean however that it's not 'grounded' to the mainboard. Would this make a difference? And yes, the drive spins up.

After I get the Quark text, the video dies on my screen as says: "input not supported", so I really don't know what is going on - if there's a butterfly or not.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:44:45 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »
Quote from: pyrre;527092
I am not sure of that. my battery is low on poser as well...
It resets the network mac address every time it is powered off...
But the computer powers on without any problems...

Try to find out if there is any way of prepping the HDD form open firmware...
It may need disk space for buffers....

That would be great. Without creating a new account somewhere (such as the MorphOS dedicated site) and searching all day long... anyone know what that firmware command would be to prep the drive? Drive is 160gb in size...

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 10:52:31 PM »
Yeah... for the $9, sounds like a great investment. Can't wait to see all the snafu's though hooking that to my Deneb card. I'm just experienced enough to know better than thinking it'll just work and inexperienced enough to not be able to fix all that invariably goes wrong hooking new things up to Deneb. lol

BTW: I didn't do anything but reset the Efika and now I can't get to the firmware screen at all  :-(

SO... irregardless of the HD not being prepped, shouldn't I at least be getting past that damn Quark thing?? When I first got the machine, I thought I could play around with some of the OS or settings and tried it out before having a HD hooked up to it. That wouldn't have blown anything on the mobo, would it?

• Show all replies
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 10:54:43 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;527096
Strange, it suggests it opens a screen in an unsupported resolution.
Have you got your monitor connected directly to the Efika's graphics card or through a KVM or other switcher?

Yeah, that's what I was hoping, but no... it's going straight into a modern/brand new Acer LCD. I've also tried hooking it to an older CRT, but same thing. Okay, after I let the Efika sit for a while, she now boots up again. I've got her plugged into the CRT and will try this one more time. Damn is USB 1.1 slow  :-(

• Show all replies
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »
Quote from: Golem!dk;527098
You could try adding the BM boot parameter, this should let you choose an alternative screenmode to boot up in.

So after typing in the boot.img, type BM after that? Is that the switch I need? What exactly is the protocall for that? MorphOS website says BM=BootMenu/s or something like this, but I do not know how that translates to the command line.

-edit-

We're getting somewhere now that I re-hooked the CRT back up! yes, indeed it calls for a screen mode that's not compatible with my LCD. It showed the butterfly for a sec and now I get a grey screen with blue window asking about keymaps. I think I've got it now guys, thanks! It sees my HD now and I'm about to partition. What size do you recommend for boot partition? Keep it low, just as in Amiga?

Yay! She works!  :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:05:38 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:14:14 PM »
Quote from: pan1k;527102
BOOYAKA! Sounds like you are on the right path now.

Yeah, this is GREAT! System is super intuitive. Installing files now. Everything is going just fine (through the CRT), even with the buggy USB ports. I hope this thing will connect to my LCD just fine though. I have enough CRT's and LCD's and that's putting it mildly ;-)  

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Definitely on my way here. Well, maybe we learned something "new" somewhere throughout this thread? Like knowing when to use a frickin' CRT for cryin' out loud! lol

• Show all replies
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:51 PM »
Quote from: Ruud;527103
Cool!  You shouldn't need a very big sys: partition.  500MB would be plenty.

If it's say... 10GB, is that going to present a problem with bootup or speed like it might on an Amiga? This drive is 160GB... so figured 10GB could be the system partition. That's what I installed. Just need to figure out how to change screen modes now. Sys: prefs...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:20:44 PM by save2600 »