Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kickstart file for WinUAE 8.22R1  (Read 7746 times)

Description:

Offline Mickey

• Show only replies by Mickey
Re: Kickstart file for WinUAE 8.22R1
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 17, 2002, 11:11:00 PM »
KennyR is a real saint. Please quit your crap about pirating. I bet you got nothing pirated and no mp3s nor ANY illegal software and you never have had any. You are just a hypocrite and you have no idea who's doing what so don't judge. Any time someone asks for something you start your bashing. Of course you are a saint so I'll just disappear. DAMN :-x

Offline mdwh2

• Show only replies by mdwh2
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2002, 11:12:59 PM »

arcticandyb wrote:
BTW which Amiga company has ever declared it's okay to rip the rom from a real Amiga?

It's sort of like the urban myth that says copyright law allows for backups of CDs and CDRoms.

The right to make backups may not be explicitly mentioned in a law, but the question is whether this falls under "fair use".

This is a concept that exists in many countries as far as I am aware (eg, see http://www.eff.org/cafe/gross1.html for the US).

Despite the music industry's best efforts to erode our rights, I was not aware that making backups is no longer considered fair use, either in the US or anywhere else (at least, as long as it is not 'protected' in some way!)

With regards to ROMs, emulation has been shown to be legal in some cases (eg, Sony vs Connectix and Bleem in the US) but I guess it may have to wait for a court ruling (and not what an "Amiga company" says) to decide the legality of emulating Amiga ROMs.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2002, 11:20:29 PM »
Acctually, it's not illigal to make a backup of your CD/CD-ROM/Disks and ROMs... What is illigal is to distribute it in order to make a profit or making it availible for anyone to get it. As a matter a fact, it's not even illigal to make a copy of a CD (I only know this to be true on audio-CD's) and give it to a friend or two for free.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2002, 12:11:26 AM »
@sMe

I think you'll find it IS illegal to do what you're suggesting.  Ever seen a sentence similar to this...

"This work may not be copied or distributed without the copyright holders permission..."

or something similar?

Using two copies of the same thing at the same time whilst only paying for one (unless this is covered by a license agreement) is illegal, period.

People get this confused with the common message that the big companies are less worried about the 'casual' copying you describe, and more worried about people making money.   Basically - they know they can't stop casual copying as easily, so they concentrate on the bigger fish (i.e. commercial pirates, napster etc etc etc.).

Bottom line is... making and using a copy of a copyrighted work, at the same time as actively using the original is against the law.

So.... if you make a copy of your Kickstart ROM, and then JUST use the original, it is, in theory, legal.  However, if you do use your original machine at the same time, then it's not legal.  

The only way you could do this legally is if you buy a licensed copy of the ROIM image (a la Amiga Forever), or have a second old amiga kicking around in a cupboard not being used.

Man - this debate could go on forever.  

Luckily I'm too knackered to carry on :-)