Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Installing games on my 1200 HD  (Read 4218 times)

Description:

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Re: Installing games on my 1200 HD
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 10, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
I agree ... C= really screwed up the novice mode on installing, very very badly thought out and implemented  :-(
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »
First off, load and run HDToolbox off a floppy disc. DO NOT remove until this procedure is finished.

The partition layout in the following screens are mine. Yours will differ greatly because of the size of the drive you are installing. All numbers the boxes labelled Start Cyl, End Cyl , Total Cyl & Buffers should not be manually adusted unless you know what you are doing!

Look at the picture below. The box on top shows what kind of drive(s) you have. If you have a 1200 or 4000, don't be alarmed if your IDE drive interface is listed as SCSI. This was done for compatibility with older software. There are three gadgets on the left side- LEAVE THEM ALONE!!! They are way beyond the scope of this article, and you should not touch them unless you know what you are doing. The "low level format" (which NOT the same as the regular format disk menu item in Workbench!) in particular can be bad for IDE drives, and can render some IDE drives useless. Most newer drives will simply ignore this, but don't take a chance.

The button we're most concerned with now is the partition drive button on the right side. Click on it. Now you should see the actual partitioning window (See Figure 2). The long horizontal bar is a visual representation of your hard drive. Depending on your configuration, you may have one or more sections in the bar. Each section is a partition. The information directly below shows the size of the partition. You can click on each partition to make it active (it turns black). Then you can use the slider (blue arrow) below to resize it. You can also use the gadgets below to Delete a partition, make a new partition, change back to the default setup, or get help.

Below that you can see more information. Notice the Advanced options box is checked. This is required if you are going to make additional boot partitions, but we'll leave most of the options at their default. The Partition Device Name box allows you to enter a name for your partition. Usually this will be something like HD0 (under OS 2.04 it might be DH0,) HD1, HD2, etc. The is another box labeled bootable. If you want to boot your Amiga from that partition, this needs to be selected. If it is selected, you can enter the boot priority in the gadget below it. This will normally be 1 for the main boot drive, the one you wish to use under normal circumstances. Other partitions should be set to 0. The Amiga will boot from the highest priority drive (1) unless you use the boot menu to select a different drive to boot from.

Click on the partition, and make sure the settings are O.K. You want the partition (colored black) to be bootable, with a boot priority of 1 so check all the boxes are correct before proceeding.

If you make a mistake or decide not to go through with it, click on cancel and exit. You should be safe, with no damage done. If you're happy with the changes, click on OK, and then Save Changes to Disk. A warning message will pop up (See Figure 3 below). Clicking on Cancel is your last chance to bail. Click on Continue, and the changes you made will be saved to the HD. Click on exit, and HDToolbox will inform you that you must reboot. Make your your Amiga Install disk is in your floppy drive and click on OK.

After rebooting (if all went well) you will need to reformat all the partitions. Click on the partition (which will most likely have a funny looking name) and select Format Disk under the Icons menu. Next you will need to reinstall or restore from backup the Amiga OS and all your programs and data.

Troubleshooting:
If something bad happens, you can use the Default Button in the HDToolbox partition window to get reasonable values for your hard drive partitions again. One last warning- some programs invite exploration and fiddling. HDToolbox is not one of those. Don't change anything unless you you know what you are doing. The actions I've detailed in this article should be safe and effective (I've done this procedure dozens of times without mishap), but if you are careless or too curious, you could end up with a useless hard drive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bazza1975Topic starter

• Show only replies by bazza1975
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
Hi folks,
Thanks for all the very useful help, tried it all, even copying the workbench disk.. It does boot from the floppy drive, but the floppies are both suddenly not bootable anymore... very strange. I can boot with adftransfer software pcmcia floppy, that way i can get into the workbench, then using the install floppy into hdtoolbox.

I have done it step for step, bootable, etc, but it has no effect.... :-?  :-?  :-?

cheers Baz

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
I'm afraid you bleeped up your disks. Are you sure you didn't overwrite part of them?

As a last resort you can try this:

1. Unwrite protect you disk.
2. In the shell write "install df0:".

You need to have booted from a disk that has the install command in the C drawer. This command will make a floppy bootable. Make sure you write protect the disk again!
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2008, 08:14:15 PM »
I think the only conclusion we can arrive at then, is that you have somehow overwritten some crucial files on your Workbench and HDToolbox discs.

When you turn on the A1200 and get the purple screen, there is a set of numbers on the left side ...

Mine says: 3.1 ROM   40,068

What does yours say?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »
Hi chaps,
Copied the wb floppy and it worked, copied all contents to HD, rebooted and bingo its now booting from HD.
Finally :-)

Offline ZeBeeDee

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2008, 09:17:17 PM »

And now WHDLoad  :-)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »
Exactomundo :pint:

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2008, 09:25:25 PM »
Hurray!
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...