Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS3.2 issues  (Read 1556 times)

Description:

Offline bradhansen1Topic starter

• Show only replies by bradhansen1
OS3.2 issues
« on: December 07, 2021, 11:51:47 PM »
I keep having similar and annoying issues on my A1200 with OS3.2. I am running a 16gig CF card with 4 partitions
my SYS: partition is 2 gigs. But it keeps losing it's way. I have installed the system 3 times now and every time I try
to add some 3rd party software my system gets lost. Just reinstalled the system, everything is good. Installed the PCMCIA_CF
software from Amiga Kit. It loaded no problem and loaded my CF card in the PCMCIA slot. But it can now not find the Window.Class
file and so nothing that needs the file will open like AmiDock and the Text program in OS3.2 ,says it can't locate the Window.class
file Version 4. I check the version of the file which is in the Classes folder and it is higher than 4. Sometimes it can't find
the Commodities.library and others which causes me to have to reinstall the whole system. I have Graphics software in my Work:
partition that can't find the Render.library or the Guigfx.library. Even though it is a standard install from the OS3.2 floppies. I use the step
Startup option and it loads everything correctly and then has the same issues. Anyone come across similar issues like that and has
some answers I would very much appreciate the help.
Thank you,
Brad Hansen

Offline Matt_H

Re: OS3.2 issues
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 04:31:28 AM »
It sounds very similar to a common problem on OS3.9. If you install ClassAct (which is what older versions of ReAction were called) almost everything that uses ReAction classes will break, and due to some weirdness with error reporting the actual affected file(s) is not mentioned. AWeb is a common cause of this problem (older versions come with ClassAct); maybe AmigaKit's software package is similar.

To determine whether that's what happened, check the contents of SYS:Classes and its subdirectories. If any files are dated earlier than the build date of 3.2 (April 2021), restore them from the original disks.

(If you don't have DOpus or a similar file manager installed, install it - it makes tracking down file problems soooooo much easier than via Workbench/Shell.)

Offline bradhansen1Topic starter

• Show only replies by bradhansen1
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 07:01:04 PM »
Matt, I think you nailed it, I always add "ClassAct" back to any install I do because I am
fond of seeing it in there. 
Thanks so much.
Brad Hansen

Offline Steady

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 12:57:10 AM »
Definitely never add ClassAct to a 3.5, 3.9 or 3.2 install. As mentioned above, Reaction completely replaces ClassAct functionality and installing it will place older versions on your system. Havoc will then ensue, as you found out.

The following users thanked this post: Minuous