Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Driver team" for os4?  (Read 3031 times)

Description:

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show all replies
Re: "Driver team" for os4?
« on: March 11, 2004, 09:15:31 PM »
I think I was looking at the AROS project. They offer bounties for creating device drivers, or anything else for that matter.

The bounties look rather small though. $100-$200.
It would have to be a labour of love but if the desire is big enough so is the pot.

Somebody said they were going to start such a bounty scheme.
I don't remember where.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show all replies
Re: "Driver team" for os4?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 09:59:42 PM »
If Amiga or Eyetech sold compatable devices such as Video cards and sound cards or whatever else, then wouldn't the device driver problem be solved?

Doesn't this kind of stuff come on the A1 motherboard anyway?

You know.... Maybe I'm just silly. Yeah, I am, but I guess I will end up being a different type of Amiga user to the rest of you.

Ok.... Maybe I'm going to get off topic with the next part.

Sure the hardware in the Amiga wouldn't be the latest if it came standard, however IMHO if you have an Amiga you will never have the latest as its impossible to keep up with MAC and PC hardware. The A1 will be out of date technically by the time its released. So for me its a matter of, why bother. I just want an alternative to bloated windows and the over complex Linux.

I am one of those people who just wants it all to run out of the box like the days of old. I guess we're all going to quibble about device drivers and the like until there is an official cased version of the A1 with components that might become standard.

I don't want my Amiga to be a mix and match PC. I have a PC for that kind of drama.

The A1 won't revolutionise gaming, and it doesn't currently have a killer app. In that case why do I need the fastest hardware in the world. All the games and all the apps will be me-too apps. You have a PC for apps and games and a console for games and the Amiga cannot beat either.

The Amiga, listening to Alan is touted as a leisure computer. To me it'll be my second computer that will be a joy to use. Its a computer for hobbiests which I am. I will always need a PC unfortunately as I need it for work(as a software engineer) and it is the dominant platform. What I want is the original concept, a computer that I turn on, and it works like a console. OS4 is on ROM isn't it? OH, please let it be on ROM like kickstart. I want it work like a device rather than a PC.

That's why I'll probably end up opting for a lite version.
I know that my A1 will always be slower than the PC that I will be constantly upgrading. Actually, I don't bother much with upgrading anymore. I just realised my last 2 PC purchases were for complete systems. I purchase a complete new system every 4 years, new box and new monitor, and notice a performance gain of 20 times, which is just enough for the WOW factor to kick in. It just costs less and is less hassle to do it this way and I always feel better about my purchase. I feel its always better to wait until you feel its slow.

My next Amiga should be an A2 with OS5 in 4 years!!!!!

Hmmmm. But you never know, once I see one....
I could just be talking out of my a$$.

Yeah, this is the stupidest lamest response I've ever seen let alone written and I thought about not sending it but now that I've written it, it is like how I feel.