Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Driver team" for os4?  (Read 2985 times)

Description:

Offline restore2003Topic starter

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
"Driver team" for os4?
« on: March 11, 2004, 06:03:05 PM »
Would it be a good idea to form a "driver team", that consist of skilled programmers to write/port drivers for a1/os4 compatible hardware? or is this something that exists already?

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: "Driver team" for os4?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 06:17:44 PM »
Good idea, but how do you pay them?

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 06:22:59 PM »
A bowl of rice a day should be enough :-D

No seriously, this is just a suggestion, there always an answer to every question(almost)

If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 06:26:45 PM »
They could get a % share of the hardware sold, which they created a driver for

Lets hear your guys opinions and ideas about this.

:-)

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 07:05:08 PM »
A bowl of rice a day should be enough

Remember, the peasants only eat millet. Only the samurai get from the rice.

(Kurosawa, 7 samurai)

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 07:24:06 PM »
>  They could get a % share of the hardware sold, which they created a driver for

Interesting idea, but ti don't work that way unfortunately. ATI doesn't want ANY expense involved with AmigaOS drivers for Radeons. Not a single penny. The market is way too small for them to care. They ain't going to be giving any money whatsoever to Forefront or anyone else writing alternative OS drivers. If AmigaOS coders want paid, they have to charge AmigaOS users... We're lucky some of these hardware companies would even consider sharing their documentation, even if it might be very old and buggy at times, rather than everyone doing like NVidia does, who did not even have the courtesy to write back and say "thank you for your interest but no".
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 07:59:05 PM »
Why?  THere's no useable OS4 and it isn't on the radar, so what's the point?  At the current speed it's being developed, coding a driver for new hardware cards now will just means the OS will, when* it's released, support outdated hardware.

*=If**
**=it won't be.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 09:15:31 PM »
I think I was looking at the AROS project. They offer bounties for creating device drivers, or anything else for that matter.

The bounties look rather small though. $100-$200.
It would have to be a labour of love but if the desire is big enough so is the pot.

Somebody said they were going to start such a bounty scheme.
I don't remember where.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 09:55:48 PM »

Why? THere's no useable OS4

Hmmm... thats funny, I could have sworn it was my main OS... I wonder what this operating system Hyperion have given me then? I could have sworn it was AmigaOS 4...

and it isn't on the radar,

The pre-release is coming soon. I know what you probably think of that statement, but this time I think you'll be surprised.

At the current speed it's being developed, coding a driver for new hardware cards now will just means the OS will, when* it's released, support outdated hardware.

I don't know, Davy Wenzler has written some drivers for some pretty damn high-spec sound cards at least.. once again I think you'll be quite surprised.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 09:59:42 PM »
If Amiga or Eyetech sold compatable devices such as Video cards and sound cards or whatever else, then wouldn't the device driver problem be solved?

Doesn't this kind of stuff come on the A1 motherboard anyway?

You know.... Maybe I'm just silly. Yeah, I am, but I guess I will end up being a different type of Amiga user to the rest of you.

Ok.... Maybe I'm going to get off topic with the next part.

Sure the hardware in the Amiga wouldn't be the latest if it came standard, however IMHO if you have an Amiga you will never have the latest as its impossible to keep up with MAC and PC hardware. The A1 will be out of date technically by the time its released. So for me its a matter of, why bother. I just want an alternative to bloated windows and the over complex Linux.

I am one of those people who just wants it all to run out of the box like the days of old. I guess we're all going to quibble about device drivers and the like until there is an official cased version of the A1 with components that might become standard.

I don't want my Amiga to be a mix and match PC. I have a PC for that kind of drama.

The A1 won't revolutionise gaming, and it doesn't currently have a killer app. In that case why do I need the fastest hardware in the world. All the games and all the apps will be me-too apps. You have a PC for apps and games and a console for games and the Amiga cannot beat either.

The Amiga, listening to Alan is touted as a leisure computer. To me it'll be my second computer that will be a joy to use. Its a computer for hobbiests which I am. I will always need a PC unfortunately as I need it for work(as a software engineer) and it is the dominant platform. What I want is the original concept, a computer that I turn on, and it works like a console. OS4 is on ROM isn't it? OH, please let it be on ROM like kickstart. I want it work like a device rather than a PC.

That's why I'll probably end up opting for a lite version.
I know that my A1 will always be slower than the PC that I will be constantly upgrading. Actually, I don't bother much with upgrading anymore. I just realised my last 2 PC purchases were for complete systems. I purchase a complete new system every 4 years, new box and new monitor, and notice a performance gain of 20 times, which is just enough for the WOW factor to kick in. It just costs less and is less hassle to do it this way and I always feel better about my purchase. I feel its always better to wait until you feel its slow.

My next Amiga should be an A2 with OS5 in 4 years!!!!!

Hmmmm. But you never know, once I see one....
I could just be talking out of my a$$.

Yeah, this is the stupidest lamest response I've ever seen let alone written and I thought about not sending it but now that I've written it, it is like how I feel.

Offline Joshua

• Show only replies by Joshua
    • http://www.forefronttechnologiesinc.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 10:00:20 PM »

restore2003 wrote:
They could get a % share of the hardware sold, which they created a driver for

It's a nice idea, in theory.  But how would you actually "skim" the % for the developers?  I could run out and buy a Radeon anywhere I like, for example, how does the developer get his share?  The hardware manufacturers would never do anything like this, a few thousand extra boards sold to them is so minor it's not even worth the effort.  As Bill & I have said before, ATI was very reluctant to even allow us to write a driver for the Amiga.  Bill, thankfully, convinced them, but ATI wanted to contribute absolutely no expense or time.  In fact, after a few emails to their engineers from us, they started complaining.  And they /never/ wanted a phone call or email to their support people about using a Radeon on an Amiga.  So, they were willing to contribute absolutely nothing, zero dollars and zero time.  Note that I'm not bashing ATI for this, this is a sound business decision on their part -- the fact that they even gave us the documentation was wonderful.

Also, I think you under-estimate the time & effort involved in writting hardware drivers, making the little % they'd receive not worth all the time and expense for the developer.  Forefront, for example, would be very happy if we break even on the Radeon driver development costs, but that's not likely to happen.

Unfortunately, as Bill said, the only way to to get paid for driver development is to charge the people who actually want the thing.
---
- Joshua B. Helm
Forefront Technologies, Inc.

Offline Joshua

• Show only replies by Joshua
    • http://www.forefronttechnologiesinc.com
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 10:07:05 PM »

BigBenAussie wrote:
If Amiga or Eyetech sold compatable devices such as Video cards and sound cards or whatever else, then wouldn't the device driver problem be solved?

No, someone still has to write the drivers for this hardware.  The Radeon included on the MicroA1 wouldn't be of much use without our Radeon driver (or the SNAP driver in the future).  It would just sit there with no way for the OS to actually do anything with it.

Doesn't this kind of stuff come on the A1 motherboard anyway?

Some stuff does, but not other things.  What about things like SCSI or Firewire cards, hardware RAID would be nice,  TV tuners & capture cards, higher-end sound cards, etc...  All these things need the "glue" of a driver to allow the OS to actually use them.
---
- Joshua B. Helm
Forefront Technologies, Inc.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 02:07:28 PM »

xeron wrote:

Why? THere's no useable OS4

Hmmm... thats funny, I could have sworn it was my main OS... I wonder what this operating system Hyperion have given me then? I could have sworn it was AmigaOS 4...

I hate to sound trollish, and I'm not trying to be one, but y'know, if a tiny handful of "developers" having something counts as "released", then items like the Tucker automobile, the Moller air-car, Taligent:Pink and other ideas and or inventions have been "released" and are "useable".  But it doesn't.

and it isn't on the radar,

The pre-release is coming soon. I know what you probably think of that statement, but this time I think you'll be surprised.

What do I think of it?  I wish it were true.  But it sounds like "TWO...WEEKS!" and "B I G!", etc.

Believe me, I'd more than like to see it released.

But I just don't see that happening.

(Incidentally, no, I'm not a Morph-OS fan by any stretch of the imagination...)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 02:40:43 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:

I hate to sound trollish, and I'm not trying to be one, but y'know, if a tiny handful of "developers" having something counts as "released",

But you said usable, not released.

What do I think of it?  I wish it were true.  But it sounds like "TWO...WEEKS!" and "B I G!", etc.

I knew thats exactly what you'd think of it, but on my desk at home there is a CD labeled "OS4 beta installer", which is the first revision of the ISO installer for OS4 on the A1. All the major problems of that version are pretty much fixed. I really can't see it taking all that much longer for  the pre-release CD to get finalised.

(Incidentally, no, I'm not a Morph-OS fan by any stretch of the imagination...)

I never said, or thought, you were. I didn't assume you belonged to any "camp".
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 02:41:56 PM »
B00tDisk wrote:
Believe me, I'd more than like to see it released.

But I just don't see that happening.

Your argument reminds me of a famous Dutch professor of law in the 1950's who claimed that space travel (be it manned or unmanned) was impossible. He was able to support his theories with some solid physical reasoning, so managed to hold his ground. Of course, when the Russians and Americans began the space race in 1961, his argument was blown to smithereens. His response: 'Well, having a man-made object in Earth orbit is not what I meant with space travel: it is going to other planets, or even stars!' He got away with shifting goal posts until the Russians took pictures of the other side of the Moon. From thereon, noone took him seriously ever again.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.