Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Gorky 17" for MOS  (Read 4219 times)

Description:

Offline csirac_

• Show all replies
Re: "Gorky 17" for MOS
« on: December 29, 2003, 01:51:18 PM »

KennyR wrote:
Hyperion would rather slowly tear out their own fingernails than support a platform they've been flaming and that has been flaming them for almost four years.

That, I think, is the bottom line.

Riiight... and the fact that as exhaustivly discussed already, hope for breaking even in sales after the expense/logistical issues in porting/supporting/licensing/publishing for just ONE of the platforms is quite slim, has nothing to do with it?

I agree with you about the fingernails part - but I don't know why it's relevant. I don't know how this thread got to 30 comments, it's a complete non-issue! (probably people like me posting, eh?)

- Paul

Offline csirac_

• Show all replies
Re: "Gorky 17" for MOS
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 02:42:13 PM »

With MacOS, Linux and AmigaOS all covered by the same license, I doubt it.

But SURELY you must see that it is not as trivial as Hyperion saying " Linux, AmigaOS4, and Mac.... and MorphOS" in the licensing agreement?!

You seem to think tacking MorphOS on the end there would cost nothing; furthermore, that licensing would be the end of it.

Even if rights to the MorphOS platform were chucked in for free, there is still the effort required in porting to MorphOS. Coding, QA, testing - Does Hyperion even have a Pegasos? A MOS dev kit? What about access to MOS developers to do the port?

Mac and Linux developers are far easier to come by -and hey, they may even make money from these platforms. AmigaOS4? Who knows. But for MorphOS? What's in it for them?

I would think there are non-trivial negotations, logistics and expense involved in Hyperion porting to a competitor's OS, especially during a time when they are on the verge of releasing a new Operating System themselves. I'd say resources are already quite stretched as it is, and with POLITICS and LICENSING aside, it is not LOGICAL and perhaps not POSSIBLE for Hyperion to be responsible for a MOS port.

This argument sounds like a Linux user complaining that Microsoft has released Office for Win32 but not Linux...

- Paul