Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Gorky 17" for MOS  (Read 4185 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: "Gorky 17" for MOS
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 29, 2003, 01:17:27 PM »
1. It seems you are flaming hyperion and claiming that it might be a free liscense.
No.
2. You keep ignoring the fact that EPIC allready liscensed the mac version and hyperion liscensed the linux + os4
Read my last post. ;-)
3. somewhat i dont think you fully understand what happened when there was a new api introduced.
It depends on the API. The specifics of the implementations might be different, however both OS's are very similar.
It could be argued(heck, I'd try it for a bit of extra cash! ;) that they are as simillar as BSD and Linux. If a developer has the licence to port their software to Linux, couldn't it be argued that they could port it to x86 BSD under the same licence? It's just a thought. :)
1. i dont know what the liscense cost ,but i am in the software dev biz and i know they dont come free + i know aos and morphos is 2 api's (dont know if porting 1 version to WOS only would make it as on liscense) as morphos is wos compatible) but its rather unlikely that we will see more WOS stuff comming for os4..,
I think it will be interesting to see the differences in software options on both platforms in the future. But only time will tell. :)
2. have you talked to epic about this grudge?, maybe they have a plan to liscense a morphos version? or maybe not as they are busy with games as "divine divinity and northland" atm..
If I didn't have other projects that I'm working on (and that I should be getting on with right now, if you know what I mean ;) I'd consider taking it up myself.
3. as i said about making extra money with releasing it for morphos aswell, did it ever occur to you that if they had to release 2x liscenses then they would have to sell twice as many or something simmilar to make money at all?
Yes! Two machines, roughly twice the sales! (okay,  that's just a theory)
4. we are going in loops here, if you had read the damn posts from hyperion about this earlier on then we wouldnt have been stagnated just over this single question AGAIN!..
Last hope for gorky17 is that epic release an morphos version..
I posted here due to the fact that peoples posts were being removed under the news item. That included my post, which, IMHO was on topic.

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2003, 01:23:40 PM »
Oh BTW, I'm not overly passionate about this issue, and certainly don't intend to flame anybody over this game.
It is their decision, I couldn't imagine Genesi porting one of their special programs to AmigaOS4 anytime soon! ;-)

I think I'll respect their choice.

(I was only asking 'why', not asking for a fight)

:-)

Offline csirac_

• Show only replies by csirac_
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2003, 01:51:18 PM »

KennyR wrote:
Hyperion would rather slowly tear out their own fingernails than support a platform they've been flaming and that has been flaming them for almost four years.

That, I think, is the bottom line.

Riiight... and the fact that as exhaustivly discussed already, hope for breaking even in sales after the expense/logistical issues in porting/supporting/licensing/publishing for just ONE of the platforms is quite slim, has nothing to do with it?

I agree with you about the fingernails part - but I don't know why it's relevant. I don't know how this thread got to 30 comments, it's a complete non-issue! (probably people like me posting, eh?)

- Paul

Offline Ross_Geller

• Show only replies by Ross_Geller
    • http://lee.rowson.co.nz/
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2003, 02:08:49 PM »
@JoannaK

Yea, you're right, it is all meaningless :-)  good practice for me though, I've never really been in a position where I could have a discussion/argument ("argument" in a good natured sense that is)... I guess it's pretty obvious I'm not too good at it hehe

And some people have moved it to ann.lu?  That's a shame, it destroys any hope of a linear discussion.  And no, it's definitely not me on ann.lu! :-D I'll stand by my views, no matter how flawed they might turn out to be (in which case I'll try to be a good man and admit I was wrong :-) )

I think I'll go see if I can find that thread over at ann.lu, just to see what's been said.  I'm certainly not going to wade into any discussion over there, I found this stressful enough.
\\"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us\\"

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2003, 02:20:26 PM »
Riiight... and the fact that as exhaustivly discussed already, hope for breaking even in sales after the expense/logistical issues in porting/supporting/licensing/publishing for just ONE of the platforms is quite slim, has nothing to do with it?

With MacOS, Linux and AmigaOS all covered by the same license, I doubt it.

Offline csirac_

• Show only replies by csirac_
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2003, 02:42:13 PM »

With MacOS, Linux and AmigaOS all covered by the same license, I doubt it.

But SURELY you must see that it is not as trivial as Hyperion saying " Linux, AmigaOS4, and Mac.... and MorphOS" in the licensing agreement?!

You seem to think tacking MorphOS on the end there would cost nothing; furthermore, that licensing would be the end of it.

Even if rights to the MorphOS platform were chucked in for free, there is still the effort required in porting to MorphOS. Coding, QA, testing - Does Hyperion even have a Pegasos? A MOS dev kit? What about access to MOS developers to do the port?

Mac and Linux developers are far easier to come by -and hey, they may even make money from these platforms. AmigaOS4? Who knows. But for MorphOS? What's in it for them?

I would think there are non-trivial negotations, logistics and expense involved in Hyperion porting to a competitor's OS, especially during a time when they are on the verge of releasing a new Operating System themselves. I'd say resources are already quite stretched as it is, and with POLITICS and LICENSING aside, it is not LOGICAL and perhaps not POSSIBLE for Hyperion to be responsible for a MOS port.

This argument sounds like a Linux user complaining that Microsoft has released Office for Win32 but not Linux...

- Paul

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2003, 06:29:43 PM »
iamaboringperson: thank you for your understanding, and i hope my long post finally got read and understood but as i said earlier and i will always say it, software wars is not what AMIGA needs now, and this is not the first and not the last (for sure) ...

things are bound to go this way but i hope that eventually the os's will merge their software support but then again ...people will then choose whats cheapest and not nessesarly the real option they wanted.....BUT HEY!.... atleast we will get choices...

many sides of such...sorry for the rambling...

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline reflect

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2003, 09:30:08 PM »
This is taken from the FAQ at Hyperion's homepage.

Will Hyperion support alternative operating systems like MorphOS and AROS which target the Amiga user-base?

The answer is simple: no. Leaving aside considerations such as IP and copyright infringement and further market fragmentation which would lead to sharply reduced sales in the Amiga market and the fact that we would need to rebuild our code-base, we want to make it clear our licenses are tied to a specific operating system, not to a specific hardware platform. If it were otherwise, we would just obtain a license for PPC and we could port for any OS running on PPC including MacOS, AmigaOS, Linux PPC, Beos etc. In reality our license agreements limit the scope of our rights to AmigaOS meaning ports for AROS and MorphOS are LEGALLY IMPOSSIBLE and would require prior re-negotiation of our license agreements. We would think it highly doubtful that large entertainment software companies would even consider this without very substantial upfront royalty payments which would be impossible to recuperate due to low sales.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2003, 11:40:10 PM »
i wonder if you guys have played Gorky 17 or just doing the usual port begging for no reason at all, Gorky 17 is imo a rubbish game and the only people i see buying it are the Amigans what will give money to that charity Hyperion.

If you really must buy this game then get the PC version for £2.50 instead of paying stupid amounts of money for a port.

Offline reflect

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2003, 12:27:55 AM »
@Paul_Gadd :
I'm going by the looks of it and also a few reviews which gave it fairly good score.  If you want to see titles for the Amiga, you buy the game which you like, even if it is a port and you're paying for the Amiga port. If everyone reasoned like you, there would come zero new games, since everyone would just give up and buy a PC for just about everything..  (hey, why pay for anything when you can use software on another platform?)..

From your reasoning, it almost sounds like "hey, I didn't like the game, and asking for a port or buying the game means you're cheerleaders.".

I find your post very condescending and it offends me.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.