Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Please insert volume ENV in any drive" on boot  (Read 2850 times)

Description:

Offline madgrizzleTopic starter

• Show only replies by madgrizzle
"Please insert volume ENV in any drive" on boot
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:07 AM »
I'm not exactly sure when it started, but my Amiga now asks me to "Please insert volume ENV in any drive" during reboot.  If I hit retry, it boots up fine.

I thought it was something in the startup-sequence (someone somewhere mentioned assigning ENV: to RAM: before loadwb but my startup-sequence has it).  Also, I don't think its a startup-sequence issue as I put ECHO STARTING at the beginning of the file and the request pops up before STARTING appears. On reboot, the AmigaDOS screen appears followed immediately by the request for ENV.  After clicking retry, it continues on until I get to the workbench.

When I cold boot, It doesn't appear until after the reboot after the ROM updates.  So what is happening there?  I tried to find a description of the Amiga boot process but they all seem to start with startup-sequence.
Only Amiga *woo-woo* Makes It Possible
Only Amiga   ... Makes.. It .. Happen!
Amiga 2000, 2MB Chip RAM, OS3.9, GVP Combo 030/22 13 MB, Supra 4MB
Amiga 3000, 16 MB RAM, OS3.9, A3640 v3.2 with 060 Processor, Picasso II, A2065, PCD-50B
Dead VA2000/CX :(

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
Re: "Please insert volume ENV in any drive" on boot
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:55:12 AM »
After the SetPatch reboot and before the echo... I wonder if it's something in a console patch which is accessing ENV: when the window opens for the 'echo' output.

Offline madgrizzleTopic starter

• Show only replies by madgrizzle
Re: "Please insert volume ENV in any drive" on boot
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:06:06 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;828979
After the SetPatch reboot and before the echo... I wonder if it's something in a console patch which is accessing ENV: when the window opens for the 'echo' output.

Genius man!  I had taken out the QUIET after setpatch because I was troubleshooting binddrivers when I didn't have a 4.15 rom in the GVP.  I just put QUIET back in and took out the echo (it was there just to troubleshoot the ENV issue) and it's fixed.  Thanks!

John
Only Amiga *woo-woo* Makes It Possible
Only Amiga   ... Makes.. It .. Happen!
Amiga 2000, 2MB Chip RAM, OS3.9, GVP Combo 030/22 13 MB, Supra 4MB
Amiga 3000, 16 MB RAM, OS3.9, A3640 v3.2 with 060 Processor, Picasso II, A2065, PCD-50B
Dead VA2000/CX :(