Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Microbotics Starboard 2 for A500 HELP  (Read 4917 times)

Description:

Offline TjLaZerTopic starter

Microbotics Starboard 2 for A500 HELP
« on: December 28, 2008, 12:02:57 AM »
OK guys, I am having trouble getting a A500 Starboard 2 working! I get a flashing red LED on powerup and usually get a GURU. If I turn off and reseat the card, and power up I get no GURU but there is no RAM or stardrive.device present. It is fully loaded with 2MB too. I suspect I need a AC adaptor as it has a port for it on the back... Trouble is I do not know what volt adaptor to try!
Going Bananas over AMIGAs since 1987...

Looking for Fusion Fourty PNG ROMs V3.4?

:flame: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Re: Microbotics Starboard 2 for A500 HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »
ok I will have to crack her open and take a peek...  It does have a fresh AAA installed, as the old one was starting to leak a little, hopefully it did no damage...

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 05:42:39 AM »
I have not had a chance to crack it open, but there is no markings on the rear as to what volt AC adaptor to use.  Bummer.  So what am I looking for inside?  I guess I will just take some pics and post 'em here.    

As a side note I am using a R&D 200 Watt PS with this A500. I wish the damn side car would just use the power off the bus.  I also have another 1200 that has a Apollo 1240 card, with 64MB and I use that with my internal 8GB HD off a stock A1200 PS and it works great!  

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:01:40 AM »
OK I opened it up and took some pics, see this post:

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:31:58 AM »
I did not use AC sorry, I used two DC5V power supplies and nothing happened.  I then tried a DC6V and it seemed to come alive!  A500 finally booted and the LED on the StarBoard2 stayed on but there is nothing there.  No mem or stardrive.device is present.  Hmmm  (NOTE: LED on StarBoard2 flashes when no PS is attached, and A500 will either lock up or Guru on powerup)   I have a DC7.5 PS I am temped to try but I do not want to fry this thing!   :madashell:

Unfortunately I do not want to dismantle this thing as I might break it.  I am not anxious to get it running so I might wait until I can possibly find out more info on what kind of PS it needs.  Is there a way to determine this with a volt meter?

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:42:43 AM »
A little necrobump!

Got around to messing with this again.  Tried it on my A1000 and it would not show the Kickstart screen with it hooked up.  Screen would stay dark gray then turn different colors and just sit there.  Tried it with a 5V DC 2amp Zip drive power pack and it would just show a black screen.  With nothing else to lose (does not work!) tried a 12V DC powerpack.  Smelled something burning!  DOH (yeah yeah).  Decide at this point I need to just dismantle the damned thing.  Took it apart, and hooked up the main board to my A1000, and it works!  So the Zorry but adaptor part seems to be toast.  And there are 3 crisp looking caps.  Previous owner probably did what I did and fried it  :P