Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PCs on the way....  (Read 34366 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Re: Amiga PCs on the way....
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2010, 02:34:40 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;577229
Hookers?  Damn, last time I was in that area all I got to do was stuff Dollar bills into the girls' garters at The Pink Pussycat.  :(

Ha! Actually, the defunct Pink Pussycat is a good 8 miles away or so. This neighborhood is not horrible in a relative sense, but a few miles away the chickenheads are quite common.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2010, 02:58:43 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;577221
It looks like Barry does not own Commodore USA, LLC headquarters.

RENEE J SCHEIBER is Renee S. Altman.

http://ccfcorp.dos.state.fl.us/pdf/90772079.pdf

http://www.psychsolutions4u.com/page/page/1572220.htm

Not exactly the most trustworthy person, apparently.

http://www.psychsearch.net/pdf/200102488.pdf

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2010, 03:48:30 AM »
Wow! This Funk need more Cowbell!

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2010, 05:30:10 AM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;577188

I haven't tried Morphos, know very little about it, have no animosity towards it, but it doesn't appeal to me either.

By all means try it before making any decisions. Even Youtube can help you understand MorphOS a bit better if you cant touch the real thing.

Commodore USA most probably lost a few customers by threatening OSNews.. well done there :/

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2010, 05:54:48 AM »
Quote from: Lando;577206
I can't understand people's negativity.  There was a day everyone would have been ecstatic over the prospect of new officially-branded Amiga computers, from a company called Commodore, running an Amiga-compatible OS.
Why would anyone get ecstatic over a peecee with Aros? Want one? Buy a peecee and install Aros, done.

Branding ordinary peecees as Amigas is a huge insult to the Amiga :( and I hope the new 'Commodore' goes to hell very quickly :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2010, 07:38:37 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;577204
Let's get this right. A "Trademark" is just that. A way of marking your goods for the purpose of trade. You cannot "Trademark" a word that exists in a real language as this is considered a generic mark. Otherwise I would Trademark the word "Cleaner" and sue the arse off of thousands of companies. What you can trademark is the graphical representation of that word, and, to a lesser extent, the fair use of that word. It could be argued that the word "Amiga" on a computer could be what is trademarked.

I think it has never been any disputes and questions whatsoever about Commodore's, Escom's, Gateway's and Amiga Inc's registered trademark "Amiga". It would be "funny" to try to make an "issue" of that now...? I mean, even Hyperion has acknowledged and helped established this through their deal with Amiga Inc.

However, under "Fair usage" Hyperion could arque that the fair usage of the AmigaOS trademark (please hold in mind the graphical representation of that mark) is infringed by the Amiga trademark (written in the same graphical style) on another computer (made by say, commodoreUS)

Hyperion does *not* have a license for the use of the mark "Amiga". Their license explicitly grants them the right to use the four marks "AmigaOS", "Amiga OS", "AmigaONE", "Amiga ONE". See the difference? The four latter marks are for exclusive use by Hyperion. Nothing more, nothing less. As long as Amiga Inc (or anyone else) stays clear from those, everything is perfectly fine. (And this goes the other way around as well, as Hyperion had better stay away from "Amiga").

I can't see no mention in the contract (but maybe I missed it? If so, please point me to the right spot!) of:
1) Hyperion would even have been granted a right to use any specific and particular graphical representation of any trademark (except for "the Boing Ball", which is explicitly not exclusive)
2) That this granted right (if it's even there, which I think not) should in any way be exclusive to Hyperion

In fact, it's even specifically pointed out, for the sake of clarity (just to avoid situations like the one you try to paint to us), in the Hyperion/Amiga Inc agreement, that the Amiga Parties (Amiga Inc, ltec, Amino collectively, as defined per the topmost paragraph of the deal) are indeed the ones with the right to the "Amiga Mark" (as defined in Definitions C: "any mark owned and/or registered or licensed by or to the Amiga Parties containing the word "Amiga" whether in stylized form (figurative mark) or otherwise"), and that the Amiga Parties have the right to continue to use "the mark 'AMIGA' alone or in conjunction with other words, so long as 'OS' or 'One' does not directly follow the word 'AMIGA'." (as defined in Grant 1c).

There is no ground for confusion, everything is perfectly clear; Amiga Inc has the rights to the Amiga trade mark, including any "stylized form" it may be pictured in. Hyperion has the rights to use the "AmigaOS", "Amiga OS", "AmigaONE", "Amiga ONE" marks, in no particular stylized form (as far as I can see), and as long as Amiga Inc, Commodore and anyone else stays clear of those four marks, Hyperion does not have any grounds whatsoever for "legal actions".

Having said that it's all pancakes to me, my interest is in Natami and SAM.

Well, Natami I can understand, but Sam? Does it even have a Amiga sticker? ;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2010, 07:41:15 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;577214
@ Redrumloa:

"Commodore USA, LLC world headquarters. "

Which is somebody's house in the middle of a sub-division.  Nice swimming pool.  :)

Which is hardly anything unique in the context. Amiga Inc, Acube, A-EON, possibly Hyperion, Genesi, etc, are all companies with no needs for big office buildings. They can all have their "world head quarter" in their laptop and cell phone, and do just fine...

« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2010, 07:42:29 AM »
Quote from: redrumloa;577216
And it is local to me, I know the area well. I am contemplating taking a picture of Commodore USA, LLC's world's headquarters so the world may know.

Now don't turn into a stalker, that's just ugly. If you are close to him, why don't you call him, arrange for a meeting at some local café, and do a little interview?

:)

Offline kolla

« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2010, 08:02:10 AM »
The ironic part is that PCs with Amiga stickers is most likely what old CBM would have done too :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »
I've heard of price sticker rage, now people are getting worked up about a brand name sticker. You should calm down.
I see this as a novelty item, if someone wants to sell AROS boxes why stop them? If they are not legit, why feed them?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;577188
I have the money now waiting for it, but this just brings uncertainty.

You've hit the nail on the head.  I have no idea what the other poster waas ranting about :s

Uncertainty in a market that currently requires confidence to succeed (the X1000) could be a disaster.  I really do hope this isn't the case and most people aren't disuaded from from their purcahses of X1000's, SAM's etc.

Steve
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #115 on: September 02, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;577267
Now don't turn into a stalker, that's just ugly. If you are close to him, why don't you call him, arrange for a meeting at some local café, and do a little interview?

:)

In other words please don't expose his newfound friend! ;)

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »
@mongo
You know.....dragging in family members is NOT cool.

It's just a funky retro computer!!!!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;577281
It's just a funky retro computer!

What is?

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;577281
@mongo
You know.....dragging in family members is NOT cool.

It's just a funky retro computer!!!!

Was waiting for you to pop-up.

Its not a funky retro computer.  Its modern hardware.  What is retro about that.

You might be able to argue that its retro "looking" but they even had more style in 80's and 90's with regards to cases.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #119 from previous page: September 02, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;577270
I've heard of price sticker rage, now people are getting worked up about a brand name sticker. You should calm down.
I see this as a novelty item, if someone wants to sell AROS boxes why stop them? If they are not legit, why feed them?

Sure, like we'll listen to you telling people the calm down after your behaviour on this thread.

Good one!