Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"  (Read 6925 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: "Men are from Mars, Women from Venus"
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:48:22 AM »

X-ray wrote:

You've been here for a grand total of 5 days and you've got 10 posts, yet you feel inclined to pull me up on that?
I suggest you lighten up a bit.

At the risk of taking sides, AFAIK there's nothing in the TOS  that says you have to have been here more than a certain number of days or have a qualifying number of posts to be offended by something.

@Mel

This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with that parking ticket, would it? :-P
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »

X-ray wrote:
@ Karlos

"...At the risk of taking sides, AFAIK there's nothing in the TOS that says you have to have been here more than a certain number of days or have a qualifying number of posts to be offended by something..."
----------------------------------------------------------

I never mentioned the TOS at all.
I know it is gallant to rush to the young lady's defense but it does make you look silly, considering all the banter we have enjoyed over the years.
Now did you take offence at my joke or didn't you?
If you did, why didn't you speak up earlier?
If you did not, what is your point, other than brown-nosing Mel?

For feck's sake :lol:

When you jump to the defensive, you really do it fully with both feet. First with her, then with me :-D

That was my first post in the thread, as that was the first time I had read the thread, so if you'd care to retract the assertions. My one comment was that perhaps you overreacted to someone new criticising you and you had no reason to take it so badly.

As for making myself look "silly", I fail to see how. If anything, your initial reaction to a noob member taking some offense to your jibe was far more amusing:

You will find that I have a very good attitude towards women generally and it is in your best interest to find out something about me before slagging me off.
If you want to get even then you can post a similar joke, I can take it.
You've been here for a grand total of 5 days and you've got 10 posts, yet you feel inclined to pull me up on that?
I suggest you lighten up a bit.

This wee diatribe seems far more histrionic and "silly" than anybody else's remarks here :-D

Whatever would F J Lewis say?

See a frustrated toddler unable to handle a negative reaction to his childish antics, ejecting a dummy in a long arc from his pouting mouth before exulting in a long, ear splitting wail should he recieve one?

;-)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »
Actually, I couldn't give a feck :lol:

I just found your reaction highly amusing. Whats worse, the more you explain it and get upset, the longer I continue to do so :-D

Seriously, you seem so narked about it it's killing me. And your'e still at it. Sorry man, it really does come across like a grown man having a kids tantrum :lol:

FWIW, I thought the joke was funny, which will no doubt earn me no brown-nose points tomorrow ;-)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 10:02:23 PM »
You're going to cry...

sorry, that I couldn't resist...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:24:29 AM »
:lol:
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
@X-Ray

Are you saying she didn't totally reel you in? Suuurree :-D
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 08:03:43 PM »
With respect to the subject title, let me tell you something about our celestial neighbours and see what you can infer.

Mars is smaller and farther from the sun than we are. Its geomagetic dynamo appears to have shut down which has allowed the solar wind to scour its atmosphere away over tens of millions of years. Coupled with the gradual shutdown of the geological activity that would replenish the atmosphere from planetary outgassing, the result is a cold, barren world.

However, the volcanos indicate that this was an active world, the magentisation of its rocks show that it did have a magnetosphere and evidence abounds that the planet had a substantially thicker, warmer and wetter atmosphere in the past. Its day is only slightly longer than ours and clearly it would have been the most Earth-like environment possibly even a place life may have took hold before premature old age robbed it of its vigour. It shows its aged surface for all to see, giving tantalising glimpses of a much friendlier past.

Venus, on the other hand, is considerably more massive than Mars, that extra mass allowing it to hold down a dense atmosphere. A dense, noxious atmosphere that at the mean surface level was more than enough to crush a submersible after an hour.

It's a crushing inferno of a planet, worse than Dante's furthest stretch of the imagination, with impenetrably dense clouds of vitriol shrouding it from closer examination. Its surface temperature is hot enough to melt lead as it lazily rotates (backwards!) in a day that's actually longer than its year.

Despite being closer to the sun than Earth, conditions at the surface are gloomy, so much of the light is absorbed or reflected long before it meets the hellish surface.

The surface itself is deceptively young looking. Every few hundred million years its speculated that it melts due to the lack of tectonic processes to liberate the interior heat, resurfacing vast swathes of the planet with boiling magma that tortures the already chthonic enviromnent even further. Venus really is as close to classical hell as any terrestrial planet can be.

So, men are from Mars and women from Venus. You've seen the environments of both. Make up your own minds ;-)
int p; // A