Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: best c++ compiler?!?!?!?!?! : (  (Read 1162 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: best c++ compiler?!?!?!?!?! : (
« on: February 17, 2004, 12:48:03 AM »

kvasarnomad wrote:
which is the best c++ compiler that will run on OS 3.1
and it must be small because i must transfer it via floppy
IDE is not nessesary.

[edit] i have no fast mem just a original A1200 with hd

[edit] i have only got one reply, have i said something wrong now again :-( :boohoo:

Compiling programs in C/C++ is a non trivial process for any reasonably sized project, fairly large amounts of memory can be used to build tables, optimise code etc. One project I worked on peaked at about 20Mb of memory useage (all optimisations enabled) to compile a program under 200K in size.

As for transferring stuff via floppy, don't worry too much. You can use ZIP on a PC to create a multivolume archive. Copy each chunk to your amiga hard disk, renaming them in numerical order as you go (winzip just calls them all filename.zip, so manually rename these filename.0, filename.1 ... etc.) You then use the amigados join command to concatenate them thus:

join filename.0 filename.1 ... as filename.zip

You can then use a good amigados 'unzip' utility. Most complain about proper multipart archives being unsupported but they usually compensate for it. Despite the warnings, this method has never failed me.

Anyway, back to your specific problem. I'm not sure there are any C++ compilers available for amigaos that will work comfortably in such a low memory configuration. Your best bet would be something like running storm c from a shell (ie skipping the IDE).

Even if you can get it configured to work in the bare 2MB, I fear you may commit suicide waiting for any reasonably sized source to compile :-(

If you want to use such applications, I strongly urge an accelerator with a fat chunk of ram as your next upgrade.

-edit-

Even if you don't want to use C++ anymore after this, still get an accelerator and ram anyway. The difference it makes to a bare A1200 is quite astonishing ;-)
int p; // A