Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help me get into Amiga 68K asm please...  (Read 1067 times)

Description:

Offline blakespotTopic starter

• Visit ByteCellar.com
    • Show only replies by blakespot
    • ByteCellar - The Vintage Computing Blog
Help me get into Amiga 68K asm please...
« on: February 10, 2006, 11:41:05 PM »
I have long followed the demo scene on the Amiga.  I coded x86  asm in college a bit.  Back in the day I played w/ asm on the Amiga w/ the ABACUS assembler which sucked.  I have hw ref manuals, etc.  

Can someone point me to a decent Amiga (68000 is all I'd be working with) assembler and some start out gfx / coding guides?

Thanks.

blakespot
:: ByteCellar.com - The Vintage Computing Weblog
:: Amigas: 1000, 2000 '020, SAM440ep-Flex

Offline kingkleks

• Show only replies by kingkleks
Re: Help me get into Amiga 68K asm please...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 11:55:58 PM »
Oh boy! It's been so long... Ahhh... for starters try www.aminet.net and go to "Browse" and look in dev/asm. That should get your feet wet. If I remember correctly Barfly was a good assembler. There are others over there as well. Check the readmes. You will also find some coding samples there. You could also need the RKM's (ROM Kernel Manual) which explain everything (or almost) a coder needs for the Amiga environment (unless you bang the hardware:-). They are out of print but occasionally some people sell them. Good luck!!!
Windows does not cut the mustard.  But it does cut the cheese.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:56:52 PM »
You can get the BarFly Assembler from Aminet.  There are some commented sources at www.flashtro.com.  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 12:19:23 AM »
For the assembler it has to be ASMPro, and then get AGAguide.lha from Aminet too.

If you can find some old issues of LSD's Grapevine Disk mag then Rombust's coding tutorials were good there are also some good sources and tutorials at the AmyCoders home page.  There is also a coding forum at ADA which is very useful for beginners.

Assuming you're doing direct-to-hardware coding, you'll need some code to cleanly kill the system, store all important registers and then restore everything then your program/demo quits (these days people are really picky if they run your intro, and then their Workbench hangs when they quit).  Try this code from Share and Enjoy (part of the How to Code series from Jolyon Ralph).

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 02:48:42 AM »
680x0 assembler is the only assembler you can actually love IMHO :-)

There are many assemblers you can use, depending on your needs. ASMPro, ASMOne, PhxAss, A68K (is that still around?). Heck, devpac wasn't so bad either.
int p; // A