Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Putting stuff on the pipe... and other stuff...  (Read 1013 times)

Description:

Offline Noster

• Show all replies
Re: Putting stuff on the pipe... and other stuff...
« on: September 01, 2004, 03:16:16 PM »
Hi

I don't understand why you want do do packet-handling by your own, you could use the functions of the dos.library for accessing the pipe instead (Read(), Write(), Open(), etc.)
To your questions:

1 - a very good source (the best ?) for informations about AmigaDOS and the related stuff like FileHandles, packets, handlerIO etc. is "The Amiga Guru Book" from Ralph Babel. But unfortunately it is sold out since years and very hard to find :-(

2 - ? The pipe seems to be a good idea, but since you are the only person that really knows what you're want to do with this program, I can't say if there is a better solution.

3 - I've never tested it, but it should be much faster than the ramdisk, because it must not matter about filestructures, directories and shared access (one process puts data into the pipe, anotherone reads it and no more)

4 - The ramdisk should be much slower and there should be no mayor difference in writting the code that opens a file in the ramdisk and writes the data into it resp. reading it from the file than to do this with a pipe.

Noster
DON\\\'T PANIC
    Douglas Adams - Hitch Hiker\\\'s Guide to the Galaxis