Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 0S4 development on track  (Read 12551 times)

Description:

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
Re: 0S4 development on track
« on: January 28, 2003, 11:23:05 AM »

HyperionMP wrote:
This is not really newsworthy but I can assure all of you that OS 4 development is proceeding nicely.

That's good to hear, thanks!
(If you had phrased it "on schedule and rocking" we would have cocked our guns. ;) )

But I guess you posted this in response to the much discussed post by Ben Yoris on amigaimpact.com, which never questioned that development was proceeding.

Nearly all of the functionality described in the feature-list has now been implemented.

A team of 60+ people has been beta-testing [...]

Could you clarify a bit on this please? If all functionality hasn't been implemented, the OS can't be in beta-testing by definition. Are you talking about beta-testing of separate parts and modules?

It's however very hard to estimate exactly when OS 4 will hit end-users because we are committed to delivering a bug-free product but the idea that it won't be ready before the end of the year is completely off the mark.

So "when it's ready" has been narrowed down to "in 2003" then.

Since it looks like Yoris' post was originally in response to someone mentioning "March 2003", could you please clarify what this announcement was supposed to mean exactly. I'm referring to this part:

The first of these shows will be the official launch of the AmigaOne and AmigaOS4.0, to occur at the CeBit show in Germany in March (and before anyone asks, this does not mean this is the release date for AmigaOS4.0, it means that CeBit will be the public launch of it).

I wonder what the difference between "release" and "launch" is supposed to be. It's easy to see why this has caused confusion. If "launch" is not the same as "release", then what does it mean? "Announcing to the rest of the world that the AmigaOS4 project is in development", or what?
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 11:55:39 AM »
DaveP,

Hey! I think both I and JoannaK asked quite relevant, honest and obvious questions about things that are unclear in HyperionMP's post and that "CeBIT in March" announcement.

There's no trolling or flamebaiting going on, and I think you see that there's no bad intentions or anything like that in my post. Maybe I'm oversensitive and you were referring to the zealot brigade (of whatever conviction) that always will frown at any questions at all and interpret everything as what they like to call "FUD", but those are better left ignored.

Actually, the first possible flamebait I've seen in this thread is your post. ;) (Although I can see and appreciate your tongue in cheek, you're playing with matches next to short fuses in this forum, I'm afraid.)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 12:05:21 PM »

z5 wrote:
I still wonder why Ben Yoris made that comment though. As i seem to recall from AmigaImpact, Ben always was positive in regards to AOne and OS4.

I don't see how Ben Y's post could be interpreted as negative criticism towards AmigaOS. All he said was that someone had misinterpreted "March 2003" as the release date for AmigaOS 4.0, and that he thought it would be next year instead, to which Ben Hermans replies that he definitely thinks it's in 2003.

I honestly don't understand the people shouting "FUD" or "lies" at absolutely anything.

Oh, another question to Hyperion, were you talking about the AmigaOS-release for CSPPCs or "AmigaOnes"?

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 01:11:05 PM »

DaveP wrote:

Yes my t-i-c attempt to lighten the atmos probably would light
it in that way ;-)

The people on amiga.org, ANN.lu et c. are deep-sea diving at the moment. We're breathing N2O. Don't light that match! :)

Note I never said who the trollfest would
come from :-D

Yeah, I was just overly sensitive. :)

I am resigned to it will be done when it's done, the detailed
questions I don't think will get useful answers and nor do I
see them as being make or break issues.

Same here really. But I think that what after all has been said really needs some clarifications, as right now some of it doesn't really make much sense. "When it's ready" is good enough for me, but now there's been some confusion about a... ummm... confusing announcement mentioning "March 2003" in a pretty ambiguous way (and just now "when it's ready" was apparently specified to "2003").

Offline Seehund

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 01:21:38 PM »

Wilse wrote:

Yes I know, "launch" apparently does not mean "release" but in light of the *complete* lack of clarification regarding what "launch" actually means, I (perhaps stupidly, granted) assumed the implication was OS4 would be released *before* March. The wording of the announcement seemed to imply this to me.

Yeah, at the time (Nov. 2002) I interpreted this as "calm down people, it will be finished/released earlier, it's just the "LAUNCH" that will be AS LATE AS in March next year", and with Ben Hermans' name on it (and not just McEwen's) I took this announcement more seriously than the usual stuff posted on amiga.com.

Oh well.

If a release actually was intended in March, I guess this hullabaloo would be a way to announce a delay more gently:
- "It won't be ready in March."
- "No, don't listen to rumours, it will definitely be ready before 2004!" ;)