Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 0S4 development on track  (Read 12354 times)

Description:

Offline Wilse

Re: 0S4 development on track
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2003, 12:54:51 PM »
@lempkee:

before there is supposed to be more of this spam/fud #### i think that all here should sit back and relax , or is this a JOB for you?

While it may be easy for you to sit back and relax, some of us are, well, *were*, expecting a release in March. Yes I know, "launch" apparently does not mean "release" but in light of the *complete* lack of clarification regarding what "launch" actually means, I (perhaps stupidly, granted) assumed the implication was OS4 would be released *before* March. The wording of the announcement seemed to imply this to me.
Now, reading between the lines of the threads here, it seems it's the other way round. That has disappointed me. I appreciate the reasons for not giving a release date but impatience is creeping in. I for one, do not want a useless (for me) linux machine sitting there for eleven months. If it isn't going to be here for March/April, I'd probably be better spending the cash that I have *now* on a mac.

Basically I want a new computer. Ideally, I want an Amiga. So I ordered one in November. The money is still sitting in my bank account. I expect the machine to arrive next month. The OS, I was expecting by the month after that. Now I'm not so sure.

Al, if you're reading this, I may be joining you.

Offline Herewegoagain

• Show only replies by Herewegoagain
    • Http://www.ncscaug.us
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2003, 12:57:45 PM »
nice one did not want to run linux on a1 till end of year ,its good to see your going to release it when it is bugfree this will be worth the wait.

Well, I think there is no such thing as bugfree.  Maybe "no more known bugs", or "no major bugs".  But there seems to always be a bug of sorts in any code no matter how good the coders who do the work.  I am glad to see someone comment officially on the situation though.  Thanks Ben H.
North and South Carolina Users interested in a \\\'local\\\' user group should visit NCSC Amiga Users Group page and sign up for membership. It\\\'s free!

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2003, 01:11:05 PM »

DaveP wrote:

Yes my t-i-c attempt to lighten the atmos probably would light
it in that way ;-)

The people on amiga.org, ANN.lu et c. are deep-sea diving at the moment. We're breathing N2O. Don't light that match! :)

Note I never said who the trollfest would
come from :-D

Yeah, I was just overly sensitive. :)

I am resigned to it will be done when it's done, the detailed
questions I don't think will get useful answers and nor do I
see them as being make or break issues.

Same here really. But I think that what after all has been said really needs some clarifications, as right now some of it doesn't really make much sense. "When it's ready" is good enough for me, but now there's been some confusion about a... ummm... confusing announcement mentioning "March 2003" in a pretty ambiguous way (and just now "when it's ready" was apparently specified to "2003").
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2003, 01:21:38 PM »

Wilse wrote:

Yes I know, "launch" apparently does not mean "release" but in light of the *complete* lack of clarification regarding what "launch" actually means, I (perhaps stupidly, granted) assumed the implication was OS4 would be released *before* March. The wording of the announcement seemed to imply this to me.

Yeah, at the time (Nov. 2002) I interpreted this as "calm down people, it will be finished/released earlier, it's just the "LAUNCH" that will be AS LATE AS in March next year", and with Ben Hermans' name on it (and not just McEwen's) I took this announcement more seriously than the usual stuff posted on amiga.com.

Oh well.

If a release actually was intended in March, I guess this hullabaloo would be a way to announce a delay more gently:
- "It won't be ready in March."
- "No, don't listen to rumours, it will definitely be ready before 2004!" ;)
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2003, 01:26:29 PM »
@seehund

I believe that March 2003 was the target for everything
to be packaged and available.

Here we use traffic lights for identifying component status
and I would guess that something has slipped into "red" after
being in "amber".

I would also guess that it is going to be further petunia
delays ( at least petunia running on exec ) which to me
was always the weak point of the plan. I don't know how many
contingencies were built into the original plan ( say for
a different 68k instruction processor ) but I would guess
not many given the shoestring budget that all Amiga projects
are funded on.

It seems to me that every time Hyperion give a detailed
answer to a question it just causes a further explosion in the
"community" and if they don't then at least it applies the
brakes after initial criticism.

We probably need to make the Amiga the platform choice for
drug barons, that would give us a gauranteed flow of income
in sizeable chunks.... ;-)

Who is prepared to go into business with me and buy a whole
load of second hand powerbooks and get license agreement
for AOS4 on it? :-D
Hate figure. :lol:

Offline Wilse

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2003, 01:54:04 PM »
Hi Seehund:

Yeah, at the time (Nov. 2002) I interpreted this as "calm down people, it will be finished/released earlier, it's just the "LAUNCH" that will be AS LATE AS in March next year", and with Ben Hermans' name on it (and not just McEwen's) I took this announcement more seriously than the usual stuff posted on amiga.com.

This is exactly what I meant. I'm a bit grumpy today, so I'm being perhaps a little more critical and cynical than usual. I just really don't want to wait much longer than March.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2003, 02:03:24 PM »

HyperionMP wrote:
This is not really newsworthy but I can assure all of you that OS 4 development is proceeding nicely.

Nearly all of the functionality described in the feature-list has now been implemented.

A team of 60+ people has been beta-testing and localising since quite some time and the number of outstanding bugs in Bugzilla has been going down steadily.

It's however very hard to estimate exactly when OS 4 will hit end-users because we are committed to delivering a bug-free product but the idea that it won't be ready before the end of the year is completely off the mark.

The worst (in development terms) is now behind us.

Thx for the infos.:-)
Anyway i hope that OS4 will be relased soon because i can't wait anymore :-(  

Offline L8-X

• Show only replies by L8-X
    • Http://www.amigaworld.net
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2003, 02:06:54 PM »
I`m sooo fed up waiting too! :-D
\\"It\\\'s no exaggeration to say that the undecideds could go one way or another.\\"

-George Bush, US President

:-D

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2003, 02:46:21 PM »

lempkee wrote:
Same comments as i expected to see, and by that i mean that the recently seen ben Yoris post is FUD

The nice thing, there is no contradiction. No one said (till now) that Ben Yoris' post was FUD. The only important thing is that OS4 is in development, and not what elements are still in the TODO list, and what estimates one makes from insider knowledge.

Isn't enough for you that they do everyting in their power to finish it? Yoris never said OS4 development cancelled, whatever, just that a few important elements are still missing, and estimated a later release date than the one of the "fans" and AInc. And made his post to avoid disillusion... A rather positive move in my eyes.

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2003, 02:56:54 PM »
This announcement by Hyperion means exactly nothing.  

All the sheep out there who take a pat on the head and a scooby snack in place of real news should be ashamed of themselves.

It is FLAT wrong to say that Hyperion cannot release real news, or that real news about Windows beta's are not released.

I am repeatedly amazed at how people invent excuses on the behalf of Hyperion and on the other side, Genesi......its truly astonishing.    

The JIT emulation is a key point, if its hyperion's opinion that all the key features are implemented, but JIT emulation is not....wellllll I think every reasonable person in the world would say the most important feature is NOT emulated and it could take six months to complete that.

He can say if its completed, if its completed....certainly if its not completed, he will have to be silent, because it WILL be interpreted as a major problem...and rightly so...that is a major problem.

Offline Wilse

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2003, 03:05:05 PM »
@Warface:

The nice thing, there is no contradiction.

It could be seen as nice, or not nice, depending on one's priorities.

The only important thing is that OS4 is in development,

Granted, that is a good thing. However, I would like at least an estimated release date. If it is going to be several more months away, I'd rather know now, so I could spend my cash on something else. I'll almost certainly buy it when it's released anyway.

What I don't want is to have spent all my currently available funds on something I'm not going to be able to use for the best part of a year. If I get an A1, OS4 is delayed for many months *and* Genesi won't release Morphos for the A1, then I will be in precisely that position.

Events leading up to this lead me to believe that I'd be able to run MorphOS on my A1 if OS4 was late. That would have suited me fine. Now that is not going to happen but I thought that OS4 would be here for March anyway, so what's another month or so when I've waited this long? Now, I don't know.

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2003, 03:05:28 PM »

MarkTime wrote:
He can say if its completed, if its completed....certainly if its not completed, he will have to be silent, because it WILL be interpreted as a major problem...and rightly so...that is a major problem.

I disagree with that. It can be integrated in 1 to 6 months. They may right be on schedule, the question is how mature the parts and modules waiting for integration are. I see nothing new. Some may estimate they may be ready for march, some not. Nothing changed...

Offline MarkTime

• Show only replies by MarkTime
    • http://www.tanooshka.com
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2003, 03:20:33 PM »
Yes, we do disagree.  Writing a new HDToolBox is cool, some new graphics libraries, cool....it is true OS 3.9 is very aged and 4.0 needs new modules and libraries.

But anyone could have done that...that is just no so hard.  As proof, I offer the fact that littered across aminet are all kinds of improved tools....they just aren't the 'official' direction, but writing an improved tool is something many a hobbyist has done over the years.

And pulling the 68k emulator out of UAE and renaming it 'petunia' wasn't all the hard either.

The most difficult thing, and the challenge that will earn Hyperion great respect, is if they can implement a seemless 68k emulator into the OS.

Its been done before, Apple did it many years ago, and MorphOS has done it.

But its still THE most major thing....all the other things are simple in comparison, and if they haven't done it, then its a really really big deal, and it appears they haven't done it.  

I agree with you, nothing has really changed.  The true believers still believe, the rest of us wait and wait, as it is delayed and delayed.

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2003, 03:33:09 PM »
@Marktime

I`m as a betatester,cannot reveal nothing,but i know
that you haven`t a clue about what you are talking about
Maybe the Big problem that you are telling about petunia
isn`t such a problem,and another issues that you never imagines
can be more difficult than this,so please,Stop spreading FUD and feeding
a little bit this thread,that can be done until infinite if you want,
but stop talking about things that you not knows.
AmigaOne X1000

Offline Nick

• Show only replies by Nick
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2003, 03:36:22 PM »
HEHE Some people just don`t have a clue do they!

:lol:

Offline Ami603

• Show only replies by Ami603
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 28, 2003, 03:38:49 PM »
Yes,I know,my english isn`t too good.
Sorry.
AmigaOne X1000