Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FS: The AmigaMini A Dedicated UAE Box  (Read 3637 times)

Description:

Offline c64manTopic starter

• Show only replies by c64man
Re: FS: The AmigaMini A Dedicated UAE Box
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 17, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;773254
How is the performance when for example, playing demanding aga games like super stardust aga? In my own attempts, I think you really need 2.5 or 3.0 ghz to give good performance for these things...

Maybe you tweak them better than me, I'm not sure. If so, please share what your doing to increase performance and make these things run smoother?

XP Embedded is a very low footprint operating system,  by disabling alot of unneeded system services and replacing the windows shell with WinUAE you free up a ton of resources.  We played AGA games Including SuperStardust AGA at the Commodore show on them,  and they ran flawlessly.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 02:04:57 AM »
There is a guide for replacing windows shell with uae, I did that on a 2+ghz machine but some things still ran choppy (mostly the very demanding aga stuff)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 02:23:30 AM »
Maybe that guide left out the XP tweaks necessary to get the best performance? I'd really appreciate if you posted some info on that...
Also I suppose I was using regular xp not embedded...

Money is tight right now or I'd love to buy one of your machines. Its awesome being so tiny and all. Hope you have a few more in a couple of weeks. I'll be in INDIA or all places late in the month. When I get back I'll contact you.

Best regards...

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 04:37:57 AM »
Quote from: c64man;773196
About a month and a half ago I designed and built the AmigaMini a Dedicated UAE Box out of an HP t5735 Thin client.  They have been very successful,  and I am building more as we speak.   I have 2 ready to sh right now.  

Here is a youtube demo of the system
http://youtu.be/EorrcWZpnKY

Specs are as follows
 HP T5735 Thin Client
1GB RAM, 1GB ATA Flash Disk, Holds Windows Embedded
16GB flash disk,  Holds UAE and all other relevant files
8GB USB Flash Drive that mounts in workbench for easy file transfer.
Over 1000 WHDLoad Games come preinstalled on the 16GB flash drive, Along with 500 Demos.  WHDLoad License not included,  you must purchase your own.  

Comes with ClassicWB 3.1 UAE installed and the system boots into  Amiga Workbench 3.1,  The cool part is it has Picasso emulation,  so you  get 32bit color at 1280×1024,  Looks great.  Boots right into Workbench  3.1 as soon as the system powers up.   You can also configure UAE by  just hitting the F12 button.

Internet access also works by just plugging it in to your ethernet network

$100 shipped in the USA
$150 shipped Internationally.

I have one of these coming, I'll let you guys know how it works out. I like that it boots directly to AmigaOS and I've used Embedded XP and it has a low footprint compared to XP Pro. This might explain the performance improvements alone.

I know I could do this on my own but it's nice to see someone doing it for the community. I already own many, many, legal copies of the ROMs as do most long time Amigans. I really wouldn't give the guy a hard time for shipping them ready to use.

Most if not all of us who buy them would very likely purchase ROMs and OS to run on them legally anyway.

-Nyle
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
I also think these small clients are great. I am still debating with myself, if I should get one or not..

Offline c64manTopic starter

• Show only replies by c64man
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:47 AM »
Quote from: yssing;773281
I also think these small clients are great. I am still debating with myself, if I should get one or not..

This whole project started because my 9 year old wanted an Amiga to play on,  being in the USA finding an amiga is kind of hard,  especially one thats affordable.  So I had a thin client laying around and realized Hey lets see if XPe will run WinUAE,  it did and ran great,  So i spent a day or so configuring it all up to make it boot right and look nice,   There you have it,  The AmigaMini Was born

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:34 AM »
Sending PM.

Online amigakit

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
@C64man

Are these officially licenced items? Has the software that is bundled with the PC been provided with written permission from the respective copyright holders?

If the items are unlicenced and advertised here then users could unwittingly buy an item thinking it is legitimate product.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:49 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;773291
@C64man

Are these officially licenced items? Has the software that is bundled with the PC been provided with written permission from the respective copyright holders?

If the items are unlicenced and advertised here then users could unwittingly buy an item thinking it is legitimate product.

you do not need to get a "written permission" by copyright owners (how you call it) to install amigaforever (when you bought the licenses)

Online amigakit

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »
So I can start selling "AmigaMini" computers without a licence if I bundle Amiga Forever with it? No I cannot!

I can download all the old Amiga games and resell them without a licence for each copyright holder?  No I cannot!
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
Quote from: c64man;773196
About a month and a half ago I designed and built the AmigaMini a Dedicated UAE Box out of an HP t5735 Thin client.  They have been very successful,  and I am building more as we speak.   I have 2 ready to sh right now.  

Here is a youtube demo of the system
http://youtu.be/EorrcWZpnKY

Specs are as follows
 HP T5735 Thin Client
1GB RAM, 1GB ATA Flash Disk, Holds Windows Embedded
16GB flash disk,  Holds UAE and all other relevant files
8GB USB Flash Drive that mounts in workbench for easy file transfer.
Over 1000 WHDLoad Games come preinstalled on the 16GB flash drive, Along with 500 Demos.  WHDLoad License not included,  you must purchase your own.  

Comes with ClassicWB 3.1 UAE installed and the system boots into  Amiga Workbench 3.1,  The cool part is it has Picasso emulation,  so you  get 32bit color at 1280×1024,  Looks great.  Boots right into Workbench  3.1 as soon as the system powers up.   You can also configure UAE by  just hitting the F12 button.

Internet access also works by just plugging it in to your ethernet network

$100 shipped in the USA
$150 shipped Internationally.

Amigakit is right there... remove the WHDLoad software, rename the product and install Amigaforever (with license) on it

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54:07 AM »
C64Man please PM me with licensing arrangements.
Once this is done, the thread will be unlocked.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.