Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: researching an SD card reader for A2000  (Read 2780 times)

Description:

Offline reverendseanTopic starter

• Show all replies
researching an SD card reader for A2000
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
I'm looking for an easy way to get files to my Commodore A2000.  I'm sort of just getting into the world of Amigas. (I refer only to "good 'ol days Amigas. I haven't gotten anywhere near the world of post-Commodore-bust Amigas yet.) I'm fairly familiar with PC and Macintosh hardware contemporary to the A2000, and for that matter, PC and Mac hardware up to the present, but my knowledge of Amiga hardware consists only of what I already know about computer hardware, as well as what I've observed from peeking into the A2000 case and having to figure out how to get the lid around all the wires and Video Toaster whatnots afterwards.  

Anyway, I'm wanting something cheap and simple to interface SD cards, unless circumstances prompt getting an interface for some other card medium, Compact Flash, etc. I see that they sell card readers to plug in as a floppy drive or as a harddrive. I'd go with the harddrive one, but I've got SCSI and not IDE. (I currently have one SCSI harddrive connected.) Could I possibly use an adaptor so that I could use an SD-to-IDE reader on my A2000, or should I go with another option? Or do I have the one Amiga model that doesn't get to interface with SD?

• Show all replies
Re: researching an SD card reader for A2000
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
the one with all those other slots, too? over $60? these two details are just fine, as long as this is really the most well-suited answers.* are they easy to install?  just plug it up and go, or are additional drivers needed?  sorry if i ask a dumb question; I'm trying to expect the unexpected, since amiga hardware seems to have some strange magic to it (always "advanced", i don't doubt for a moment).  

*my primary internet connection is currently the one on my cellphone, so let me know if i overlooked what you were referring to. don't worry, I'll have full internet by the time i make my decision and place an order. i used a footnote on a forum, woohoo.

also, if my asking doesnt stray too far from the original topic, what would i need to replace the floppy drive with, if it does turn out to be broken? some special floppy drive, or just a "regular" one? floppy drive specs have always confused me, other than "ya plug it in and turn it on."  if anyone can explain a brief bit on that (it's double density, yet so-and-so-hundred-K rather than more than that? are these those blue floppies i find everywhere?), two birds would get taken down by one stone, and i might bypass NEEDING the card interface... although it wouldn't bypass the WANTING of one (:

• Show all replies
Re: researching an SD card reader for A2000
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
Quote from: mechy;661995
(don't use the gin you are drinking)
hey, I know the difference, man. it's these d'rn computers I can't get figgurd out.

As you can see, them scuzzies are easy to get to in there.  

I think I might know where to get a long-lost CD-ROM drive this amiga once used, which would be nice, too.  

anyway, thanks