Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The astonishing unpopularity of "dynamic-highres"  (Read 9023 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: The astonishing unpopularity of "dynamic-highres"
« on: July 29, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »
Quote from: bbond007;742951
I think the reason its not used more commonly is because the copper is leaving the CHIP RAM bandwidth starved...

On OCS/ECS the 4 bitplane hires will use all of the bandwidth in the displayable area & the copper will use all of the bandwidth in the non displayable area. The blitter and cpu will only be able to access chip ram during vblank. If you have no true fast ram to run code from then the cpu will barely be able to run at all.

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD_2.1/Hardware_Manual_guide/node012B.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:57:38 PM by psxphill »

Offline psxphill

Re: The astonishing unpopularity of "dynamic-highres"
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;743020
And I would imagine the the PAULA has to share that as well?

If you look on the diagram on the page I linked, you'll see that paula's slots are fixed and are always available.

Offline psxphill

Re: The astonishing unpopularity of \
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:07:52 PM »
HAM is supposed to be used on HSV values not RGB where the 'fringing' is less jarring due to the more subtle differences when HSV values are being manipulated on an image but Jay Miner decided it was better than nothing with RGB after seeing it in action on a Flight Simulator system.

The flight simulator is where he got the idea for HAM from, it wasn't an Amiga flight simulator. But when the Amiga output went from HSV to RGB as they pivoted from a games console to a desktop computer then they were going to take it out, but decided it would be extra work and they didn't have time to reuse the space for anything else anyway.

Photo realistic images was not even the goal, it was for fast horizontal line filling. Instead of setting each pixel to blue/red/green etc you could set the pixels where the color changes. I don't know if the HSV chipset worked better, but there doesn't seem to be a way of setting up memory with a NO-OP value. So it pretty much fails to be useful for the original intended use.