Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The astonishing unpopularity of "dynamic-highres"  (Read 9021 times)

Description:

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
Re: The astonishing unpopularity of "dynamic-highres"
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
If you are able to get NewTek Demo #3 to run you'll notice that the resolution of the music playing in the background drops way down when displaying the dynamic-highres image...

I think the reason its not used more commonly is because the copper is leaving the CHIP RAM bandwidth starved...

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:10 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;742952
That is either because you were using UAE or maybe they switched to lower res music because there wasn't enuff chipram laying around in the 512k chipram days.

Yes, real Amiga. quite certain the sample it plays during Bert's face is lower quality than the rest of the sample.

Hard to tell because it avoids playing any instruments other than drums if I recall...

NewTek demo reel #1 is the reason I bought my first A500, so those demos are very clear in my head :)

Quote from: psxphill;743004
On OCS/ECS the 4 bitplane hires will use all of the bandwidth in the displayable area & the copper will use all of the bandwidth in the non displayable area. The blitter and cpu will only be able to access chip ram during vblank. If you have no true fast ram to run code from then the cpu will barely be able to run at all.

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD_2.1/Hardware_Manual_guide/node012B.html

And I would imagine the the PAULA has to share that as well?

Offline bbond007

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;743021
If you look on the diagram on the page I linked, you'll see that paula's slots are fixed and are always available.

I guess its just a crappy sample :)

Sure sounds like it gets really muddy right then.