Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 freezes when using PCMCIA Network card  (Read 4943 times)

Description:

Offline paul1981

Re: A1200 freezes when using PCMCIA Network card
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
Quote from: bhindi_bhaji;703725
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

I've decided to try to get my A1200 online.

I found a bunch of Netgear FA410TX PCMCIA network adapters at work so I thought why not have a go.

I downloaded the CNET drivers, checked the compatibility and sure enough this adapter is listed...bonus!!

However...

As soon as I insert it the pointer freezes. If I remove it everything comes back to life.

If I try to boot with it inserted it just sits there until I remove it.

I know people suggest not hot swapping on the Amiga, but I've never had a problem doing it with the PCMCIA CF adapter I have which works a treat.

I have a 4GB CF card with Classic WB installed on the IDE interface and an ACA 1231/42 in the trapdoor, I'm thinking there might be a conflict somewhere.

If I remove either of these devices the thing becomes useless to me so I don't want to do that!!

I've also downloaded CardReset & CardPatch and updated the startup sequence.

Please help!!

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to plug in or remove the pcmcia network adapter whilst the power is on. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

You might want to do a search to see if the Netgear FA410TX card has actually been used and tested by an Amiga user before, and not just listed as compatible.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:53:02 AM by paul1981 »

Offline paul1981

Re: A1200 freezes when using PCMCIA Network card
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
Quote from: bhindi_bhaji;703731
You're probably right, but it won't boot if I have it inserted at power on.

This is what it says in the compatibility list:

NetGear FA410TX (10/100baseT)

I (rolf.anders@physik.uni-augsburg.de) have successfully used these
cards with cnet16.device:

There is one thing though. In the LHA archive the *.device files were listed under devs/network. Should I remove them from the network drawer and put them straight into Devs? I have a feeling it won't matter anyway as it seems like a hardware issue rather than software.

I may just order the Easynet kit from Amigakit and try that, it's not expensive!

Thanks.

Hmm...even so, with the card inserted at power on it shouldn't freeze. Is it freezing during the startup-sequence or is it not even getting that far? Try holding down both mouse buttons upon power on and do a boot without startup-sequence. If you get the AmigaDOS prompt then it's something in your startup-sequence that is making your computer freeze.
If you can't even get to the Amiga Early Startup Control then something else is obviously wrong, like you say something isn't happy hardware wise.