Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4  (Read 69249 times)

Description:

Offline Nickman

• Show only replies by Nickman
Re: Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4
« Reply #299 from previous page: August 22, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »
Quote from: BSzili;829836
Sure, but we were told continually that the Apollo Core and Vampire are "two separate products", and we shouldn't expect the features listed there to be available on the Vampire. We are also told to buy the Vampire "for the features in currently has", yet no one can really tell which ones it has and which ones hasn't. Know what I mean?

Only thing missing from the full Apollo core is the FPU that i know of.
And that is what most "trolls" like to point out.
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »
Quote from: Nickman;829899
Only thing missing from the full Apollo core is the FPU that i know of.
And that is what most "trolls" like to point out.

By trolls, I assume you mean those that have software that requires a real fpu to shine.
You forgot about the lack of a Motorola compatible MMU, which means no BSD.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Nickman

• Show only replies by Nickman
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;829901
By trolls, I assume you mean those that have software that requires a real fpu to shine.
You forgot about the lack of a Motorola compatible MMU, which means no BSD.

You talk about something completely different. (Most of this post is not directed at you personally Iggy and I sincerely apologize if you get offended)

What I answered and what "trolls" point out in this thread and other places comes from the fact that the FPU that Gunnar and Chris has is not included in the core made for Vampire V2, 500 and 600. So all features of Apollo is not in the Vampire cards. And that ALL information about apollo core on Apollo-core.com is not relevant to the vampire cards.

Because Gunnar said so..... Or did he.... Trolls scream YES. and the rest listen and use common sense.

Everything boils down to some people like to demand and force their beliefs on others.
Now that i think of it they remind me of religious fundamentalists in a lot of ways.

So. Asking and talking civilized about things you like to come in the future and listening to what the other side says and reflect on that answer vs screaming, spreading lies and trying to sabotage with false rumors is a lot better in my book.

The Apollo team have the code for a full FPU is a fact.
The Apollo team does not have that said code adapted for the Vampire cards.. also a fact.
The Apollo team has repeatedly said that they do not think a 68040/060 MMU clone is the way they will go.

Like always.
You want a full 68060 ? Then buy that.
You want/require an FPU. Buy a card with that.
You want/require an MMU. Buy a card with that.

If you on the other hand can live with the fact that today (2017-08-22) neither of these are in the core you get when you buy a Vampire card and you do not even know if it will ever come. Then buy a Vampire card.
It relay is that simple.
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.

Offline utri007

« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »

You want a full 68060 ? Then buy that.
You want/require an FPU. Buy a card with that.
You want/require an MMU. Buy a card with that.

That is what I did. Now I have two 68060 equipped Amigas. :)

Apollo team main priority should be 100% compatibility 68040/060 cpus. Any other way to do it is pointless. That is just my opinion.
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline Kremlar

• Show only replies by Kremlar
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
Apollo team main priority should be 100% compatibility 68040/060 cpus. Any other way to do it is pointless. That is just my opinion.

It's a valid opinion, but it's difficult to argue with the success they have had.  They sell them faster than they can make them and have developed a large loyal following.  When they're outselling PPC offerings many times over, in such a small market, how can you argue with their success?

A couple of people complaining about the lack of FPU/MMU isn't going to change their course.  A lack of sales might, but that's not going to happen when the vast majority of users care more about other features that have higher priority.

They will likely get to an FPU/MMU in time, but they will prioritize to their liking.

The amount of progress and success that they have had is really quite amazing.

Offline utri007

« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:25 PM »
It's a valid opinion, but it's difficult to argue with the success they have had. They sell them faster than they can make them and have developed a large loyal following. When they're outselling PPC offerings many times over, in such a small market, how can you argue with their success?

Thanks for accepting my point of view, but your point is nonsense. You are basicly saying that if something is popular / succesful it some kind of shield for cristisim.

I expressed interest when price was 150 euros. I would have paid that even if I wouldn't ever use card. Current price is just too much for "maybe I just put it in to drawer" situation. So when it was my turn, I didn't take it. I would have like to use it with my CDTV. They say it works with CDTV, wich is not excatly true. Using it with CDTV would require disabling CDTV's extend roms.
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »
Quote from: utri007;829907
Thanks for accepting my point of view, but your point is nonsense. You are basicly saying that if something is popular / succesful it some kind of shield for cristisim.

go on and criticize them all day long, if you ask me.

Offline Kremlar

« Reply #306 on: August 22, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »
Quote from: utri007;829907

Not what I'm saying at all.  I'm just saying they would likely not adjust their course to placate a small number of people when the vast majority are happy with their current feature roadmap.  Again, their success speaks for itself.

Offline utri007

« Reply #307 on: August 22, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;829909
Not what I'm saying at all.  I'm just saying they would likely not adjust their course to placate a small number of people when the vast majority are happy with their current feature roadmap.  Again, their success speaks for itself.

True. Usually I just ignore these kind of threads, as there is very little change to that anything said here could make them change their mind.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #308 on: August 23, 2017, 12:29:00 AM »
Quote from: Nickman;829902

Everything boils down to some people like to demand and force their beliefs on others.
Now that i think of it they remind me of religious fundamentalists in a lot of ways.

But you and everyone knows that this is the way the Amiga community is.  They will alway nitpick and think of any excuse to bring down whatever is being marketed.  People like that arent who products like these are geard towards selling.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Iggy

« Reply #309 on: August 23, 2017, 12:35:39 AM »
Quote from: Nickman;829902
You talk about something completely different. (Most of this post is not directed at you personally Iggy and I sincerely apologize if you get offended)

Don't sweat it, I'm not offended.
I know that there is a difference between the complete Apollo core and the core used in Vampire.
I've been quietly discussing the former as it looks like its got some real possibilities outside of Amiga applications.
And Vampire is Amiga focused.
Also, I don't understand the confusion over the specs, those published are fairly accurate.

Finally, I don't get the PPC vs Vampire argument, as neither is a replacement for the other.
I can buy both, after all.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:37:53 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline psxphill

« Reply #310 on: August 23, 2017, 11:46:57 PM »
Quote from: Kremlar;829909

Yes, like Microsoft Windows on x86 was more successful than Amiga on 68000.. Wait....

Offline Kremlar

« Reply #311 on: August 24, 2017, 01:03:26 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;829927
Yes, like Microsoft Windows on x86 was more successful than Amiga on 68000.. Wait....

Huh???

Offline Iggy

« Reply #312 on: August 24, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »
Quote from: Kremlar;829930
Huh???

I believe he's saying they should listen to the market.

Offline Kremlar

« Reply #313 on: August 24, 2017, 03:18:10 AM »
Not following the analogy.  I think Gunnar is listening to his market.

C= certainly didn't, and paid the ultimate price.

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #314 on: August 24, 2017, 03:52:05 AM »
Quote from: Kremlar;829933
Not following the analogy.  I think Gunnar is listening to his market.

C= certainly didn't, and paid the ultimate price.

I hope there is an internal audio header for Repulse. That way I can switch between Internal, CDRom and Paula.