Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2 days to save David Lowe's Amiga remixes album  (Read 1419 times)

Description:

Offline mahenTopic starter

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
2 days to save David Lowe's Amiga remixes album
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Time is running out !

David Lowe and his daughter are attempting to fund, for the third time, a very promising album with new versions of Amiga classic soundtracks ; including :

Frontier – Main Theme
Frontier – Second Theme
Starglider 1 – Sample version
Starglider 1 – Title Screen ‘Games’
Starglider 2 full length cassette theme
Carrier Command full length theme
ISS Amiga loading theme
After Burner – Amiga / ST version
Night Shift Title Theme
Microprose F1 Grand Prix Main theme
Double Dragon 2 ( all pieces c64 version only )
Midwinter 2
Beneath A Steel Sky – Loading screen on Amiga theme
Rasputin – Two titles from the game: title theme and ‘God Don’t Bleed

Frontier will be played by an actual orchestra !

Please help this Kickstarter reach the 33.000 pounds before it's too late, at this very address : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/124468523/uncle-art-a-temporal-shift

Offline paul1981

Re: 2 days to save David Lowe's Amiga remixes album
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 12:35:57 PM »
Quote from: mahen;792314
Time is running out !

David Lowe and his daughter are attempting to fund, for the third time, a very promising album with new versions of Amiga classic soundtracks ; including :

Frontier – Main Theme
Frontier – Second Theme
Starglider 1 – Sample version
Starglider 1 – Title Screen ‘Games’
Starglider 2 full length cassette theme
Carrier Command full length theme
ISS Amiga loading theme
After Burner – Amiga / ST version
Night Shift Title Theme
Microprose F1 Grand Prix Main theme
Double Dragon 2 ( all pieces c64 version only )
Midwinter 2
Beneath A Steel Sky – Loading screen on Amiga theme
Rasputin – Two titles from the game: title theme and ‘God Don’t Bleed

Frontier will be played by an actual orchestra !

Please help this Kickstarter reach the 33.000 pounds before it's too late, at this very address : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/124468523/uncle-art-a-temporal-shift

Plus the Frontier Elite theme will be entering the uk classical music chart!

COME ON CHAPS!! SUPPORT THIS!! :)

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
They missed out by mere seconds on the last Kickstarter target - we only need to spread the word.  Just under 60 hours left!

I've pledged again - join in!

Gryfon
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
Funded!

:)

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 04:26:48 PM »
Am I the only one who is a little fed up with commercial releases of barely remixed versions of really famous game music that has been remixed so many times for free already?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;792371
Am I the only one who is a little fed up with commercial releases of barely remixed versions of really famous game music that has been remixed so many times for free already?

No, you aren't.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:38:30 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;792371

Yes you are.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 04:19:19 AM »
Don't see the point in this kickstarter, so they're not alone. I'd fund new hardware or software though :-)
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 12:05:56 PM »
I don't mind the kickstarters for music. Considering the countless of hours Ive listened to both C64 and Amiga tunes for free I think the musician(s) shouldn't be ashamed to ask for a penny for the remixes.

I feel the 20-50 euros I might pledge to a project is a drop in the bucket and incredible value for money if you account for the hours of enjoyment.
Granted; some of the remixes ive heard over the years are a downgrade compared to the original tune, but sometimes there are some brilliant gems amongst them too.

So Im quite happy to have people repost Kickstarter links here so I can check it out.

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
I realize there are many who disagree with me and would buy a remix album (good for them), but for me the whole point of listening to old chip music is to hear it produced by the original audio chipset (i.e. SID or PAULA or POKEY).  Remixes on new, cutting edge synthesizers is nice, but I enjoy the original more.

That said, best of luck to this project.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline mahenTopic starter

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 10:59:05 PM »
This is a legitimate question... Some musicians manage to capture the spirit of the original music and bring it even further, or take it an unexpected way. Some kind of lose the original feeling. Some remixes albums are fantastic, some don't add much, and some are very disappointing because they turn unique chip music into a standard product.

I'm a big fan of the Immortal series for instance :)

In this specific case, I have no idea what the result will be. Frontier played by a real orchestra is supposed to sound the way the author initially wanted it to sound like.

I was initially rather interested in albums made by ex-Amiga musicians from the demoscene or gaming scene. There were many of them in the late 90s-early 2000s. Early Bjorn Lynne (Dr Awesome) studio albums are fantastic, and composed on the Amiga with Music-X and a MIDI gear. They are new compositions but manage to keep the feeling of the scene, with better equipment. Nowadays, this time is so far away, there are rather remixes than new Amiga-scene-inspired compositions. (I hope some of you will show me wrong !) Maybe that's related to the fact there are virtually no technical limits nowadays ? Or maybe other scenes took over. Or maybe there are so many sub-cultures now, none of them really shines. Opinions ? Thoughts ? Links ? :-)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:08:12 PM by mahen »