Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10th Anniversary Project Petunia Demo PPC JIT  (Read 3504 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
10th Anniversary Project Petunia Demo PPC JIT
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
News from meet.mrnrg via amigaworld.net

JIT enabled E-UAE for AmigaOS4.1

1,401.00+ EUR has been collected so far and climbing...

http://amigabounty.net/index.php?function=viewproject&projectid=35

http://euaejit.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Growing  flowers Today is the 10th Anniversary of the first public demo of  Project Petunia. The very first demonstration happened on Fyanica #6  party 14th July 2001. You can find some pictures and the videos about  the demonstration here. (Page is Hungarian, so be prepared… ;)

http://fyanica.netexpert.hu/index.php?page=party&pid=8
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Tension

Re: 10th Anniversary Project Petunia Demo PPC JIT
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:09 AM »
Ain't happening.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:57 AM »
What isnt happening? The bounty itself? The fact it's already assigned may suggest otherwise. There's even a blog where a person can follow the progress.

Sidenote, but "The Big EUAE JIT Blog" isnt the greatest name being that euae has had jit cpu emulation since it was started 8 or so years ago, albiet only for x86 targets.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:37:12 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:33:08 AM »
And I for one intend to make more donations. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »
Petunia makes about as much sense as translating Latin into Sanscript. I'm sorry to read the poor fellow working on it has wasted ten years of his life on this project. Since all anybody does with OS4 is run Linux ports and real Amiga (68K) software under emulation, why not just get a PC that can run Linux proper and use UAE? Or better yet, just go to your local thrift and buy a REAL ACTUAL Amiga for $20?

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
Won't this conflict with Petunia as the bounty specifies the code should become open source ?
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
Hmmm... never will understand these "Bounty" things... :confused:

If you're gonna write a program then just sit down and do it, it doesn't cost anything after all, so why do people start up these "Bounty" things, I just don't get it... :confused:

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »
Quote from: Franko;650886
If you're gonna write a program then just sit down and do it, it doesn't cost anything after all, so why do people start up these "Bounty" things, I just don't get it... :confused:

Bribery is a great way to get people to do what you want.

It works in politics, why not software?

Seriously though, I get it.  It's hard work, a lot of time and some of the bounties don't seem like a fun project that you would jump into for the hell of it.

Offline Franko

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;650887
Bribery is a great way to get people to do what you want.

It works in politics, why not software?

Seriously though, I get it.  It's hard work, a lot of time and some of the bounties don't seem like a fun project that you would jump into for the hell of it.

It can be hard work and sometimes it isn't exactly the most exiting or interesting thing to do but I wouldn't ask or expect to be paid in any way for anything I have written for the Amiga or will write in the future... :)

The Amiga as it's not really any longer a viable system whereby you can earn a living from or write software that's going to bring in much in the way of an income, is really these days just about folk writing stuff for themselves (like I do) or for sharing it with the community... :)

I'm afraid when it comes to these "Bountys" I really don't see the point in them... :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:34:44 AM »
They encourage people that are capable to do work they otherwise may not have had an interest in. There's been plenty of long winded, tedious work that simply wouldnt have been done if it wasnt for the small monetary compensation. Trident is now open source under APL due to bounties, AROS now runs on 68k amigas with the assistance of bounties along with replacement kickstart along with a shedload of other things.

Personally speaking I like to be able to say thanks with a few dollars when I can afford it too.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Franko

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;650976
They encourage people that are capable to do work they otherwise may not have had an interest in. There's been plenty of long winded, tedious work that simply wouldnt have been done if it wasnt for the small monetary compensation. Trident is now open source under APL due to bounties, AROS now runs on 68k amigas with the assistance of bounties along with replacement kickstart along with a shedload of other things.

Personally speaking I like to be able to say thanks with a few dollars when I can afford it too.

I get what your saying, but still have to say "Bountys" just seem like a very poor idea to encourage programming to me... :)

It would be much better I think to write the stuff, then either try and sell it yourself, or via the shareware method. No-one these days is going to earn a living or get rich from writing Amiga stuff... :)

To me if you really want to write something there is nothing to stop someone from doing so and if you don't want to give away your work you can always try the suggestions above... :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 02:56:57 AM »
Personally, I think this is a great idea and I'm encouraged to see so much donated to this development.
Both AOS4.1 and MorphOS need JIT added to UAE to speed up operation.

I hope this finally gets implemented.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:41:36 AM »
I agree there is no interesting software for os4, mostly just linux ports that run much slower on the 10+ year old spec os4 hardware than they would on a 50$ computer running linux, so why bother? My phone is more powerful than any os4 machine.

os4 is simply a dead end unless they go arm or intel.
This project is a waste of time and money and resources.
They should start bounties to port to x86 or arm.

Steven

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »
Quote from: Jose;650846
Won't this conflict with Petunia as the bounty specifies the code should become open source ?

The author has stated that UAE JIT wont be based on Petunia but new work. JIT compilers shipped with the OS are optimized for OS friendly applications and are more or less tied to an underlying OS.

Personally I fail to see point for JIT in UAE. It wont help with old games and demos.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:40:14 AM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »
Quote from: itix;651031
Personally I fail to see point for JIT in UAE. It wont help with old games and demos.

But it will help a lot with non-RTG 060 AGA demos.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)