Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1000 mentioned in April 2006 issue of Game Developer magazine.  (Read 4361 times)

Description:

Offline Louis DiasTopic starter

In an Article titled "Pixel Pusher: the quickening vs. The Deadening" by Tom Carrol that begins on page 46 of the magazine, an Amiga 1000 is pictured on page 48.  Here is the exerpt from the article when the Amiga is talked about:

He also remembers using an early Apple computer and Superpaint at a friend's house. "It was disgusting.  My first employer in the arcade game industry provided us with Amiga 1000s.  They didn't have hard drives, but they did have Delux Paint, which was a vast improvement.  Then the first PCs were dropped on our desks because programmers wanted us to use them.  And the wonders of DOS opened up like a keyless strong box with cement inside.  They had a stripped down version of Deluxe Paint - no animation at first - but once the graphics were imported into undocumented development tools, it got even more restrictive and outright arcane.  It sends shivers down my cerebral cortex just thinking about it.  The quickeneing wasn't near quick enough then."

The image is captioned with the text
Artists who were lucky circa 1985 got to develop on the graphically complex Amiga 1000.  Others had to do it the hard way.

So while today's 18-24 year old "hardcore gamer" may not know the Amiga, it's nice to know that developers still do.

Offline Panthro

• Show only replies by Panthro
    • http://www.hell-fish.tk
Re: Amiga 1000 mentioned in April 2006 issue of Game Develop
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 04:38:19 AM »
hey I'm a hard core gamer and I know what an Amiga is......

somthing with real playability!! :lol:
-Panthro

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 06:05:48 AM »
God I miss DPaint. I wish there was something as easy and straight forward on the Mac or PC. (Don't even start with that GiMP nonsense.  :-D )

I've met a few programmers and Software Testers who work in games that remember the Amiga. A few have asked for help with A500s they picked up at garage sales because they wanted to check out what they were missing back in the old days. A lot of them are still very surprised what can be done on so little -  and how far ahead my A500 was when they were running PCs of the time.

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 10:08:08 AM »
...but getting DPiv to run on OS4 is a real pig !!
of course, I havent tried it in E-UAE since the update...

...but I'd KILL for a native port !
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 11:18:20 AM »
The first time I tried GIMP, it opened all new canvases off-screen, so I couldn't do a damn thing with the program.  Brilliant.  :roll:

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
I find it a bit strange that so many seems to prefer DPaint over Brilliance, since the latter just has a so much better GUI and yet I haven't found anything that seems to be missing from DPaint... rather, DPaint V seems to lacking much that Brillande II has to offer.

Was Brilliance II released too late? So that people didn't really get into it, thus not being as nostalgic about it, before the fall of the Amiga?
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 07:23:30 PM »
I played with Brilliance a little at the Amiga selling computer shop in my area where I worked when I was in high school. Didn't have the money then to buy it (I was then saving for my A4000) and just stuck to DPaint 4 AGA. I didn't have anything against Brilliance, just other priorities. I don't think I touched DPaint V more than once or twice. By the time it came out the Amiga buying customers had dwindled to nearly zero and the store changed to straight PC hardware and software soon after.

Offline Mr_Capehill

• Show only replies by Mr_Capehill
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 09:45:02 AM »
Deluxe Paint was used to create Quake 2 textures. The story doesn't tell if it was a PC or Amiga version.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 12:37:05 PM »
Was Brilliance II released too late? So that people didn't really get into it, thus not being as nostalgic about it, before the fall of the Amiga?

I think you got it.  Brilliance 2 was damn near perfection on a 15khz screen.  But I think that it was introduced around the time of the C= bankruptcy or maybe even after it.  The Amiga was already well into its slide out of the mainstream.

The only edge I can give to DPaint is that IIRC, Dpaint V handled RTG and mode promoted screens a bit better.  I remember having some quirks trying to use a 640x400 DblNTSC screen in Brill 2.  (And I didn't buy that Sony 15/30 MultiSync monitor just so I could have blinding flickering in my paint program!  ;-)  )

Offline beller

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 02:57:08 PM »
I think the fact that Brilliance was released at the time of the bankrupcy did play a big factor in its not becoming wildly popular. DPaint was around at the beginning, did a fantastic job, and is obviously still popular.

The other thing, Brilliance was released at the same time Digital Creations was becoming Play.  I wrote large portions of the Brilliance manual (part of the contract was a new 4000 and monitor..heck, they didn't know we'd have done the job for just those!)  Apparently Jim Meyer, my writing partner, and I nearly missed Kiki and the other folks from NewTek who were here to discuss the merger.  Because of the merger I don't think Brilliance got the PR needed to make an impact in the market.

Still have Brilliance running on this A1200.  Wonder where the programming team went?

Bob Eller

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 11:40:56 AM »
The only edge I can give to DPaint is that IIRC, Dpaint V handled RTG and mode promoted screens a bit better. I remember having some quirks trying to use a 640x400 DblNTSC screen in Brill 2.

Interesting. I haven't played around that much with RTG modes in either program, but with DPaint V I've had, amongst other things, major problems with the screenmode requester that pops up when starting the app. At times I get a recoverable alert as long as there are RTG modes for the requester to show, but mostly common was that, whatever RTG-mode I picked, DPaint V became so unstable that it was practically unusable, crashing every now and then. So I've stayed away from running the app in any RTG-mode.

I've never troubleshooted the problem. Maybe there are a really simple solution to this.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 12:48:27 PM »
Personal Paint (PPaint) 7.1 is tha best!

It is far better than deluxe paint.

DPaint is buggy and userUNfriendly
compared to PPaint
Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 01:26:19 PM »
@Im>bE

PPaint is 8 bit only.
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 05:20:19 PM »
Nice,

My bro did alot of games, art, and music on the Amiga using Deluxe Paint, Octamed V4, and AMOS Professional.  I am thinking about getting the harddrives and getting all of his work form them and making a website with all his stuff.

Amiga just was too awsome.  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Animagic

• Show only replies by Animagic
    • http://www.pointer-digital.com
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 06:26:23 PM »
I've been working with Dpaint (v2 -> v5) from 1990 to 2004. Still use it someteimes. When it comes to Genlock video Dpaint Rulez (in fact Stencil Function rulez  :-D  )
I love that prog and a clean port on OS4 would be more than "nostalgic".
Brilliance was great too. I used to "mess up" graphics with the spray w/blend function. Really loved it for Backgrounds!!!
It was just too late... :-(
Greek Amiga User Group Amiga Hellas
You can find me on #amigahellas IRC channel on GRnet.