Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Harald Frank / AROS  (Read 7517 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Harald Frank / AROS
« on: May 08, 2003, 12:31:44 PM »
Sveral things:

1. This post is late, I've been off line for a while.

2. Harald Frank or anybody wishing to contribute to AROS is a good thing.

3. Any violation of our licence will result in the harshest of penalties, if any AROS dev violates any other licence the offending code is removed from our CVS. We take the concept of the "Licence" very seriously.

4. With Mr Frank contrubiting to the AROS project, AROS now has considerable "Industry"/"Comunity" support. Lets give the Amiga comunity a free OS, then software houses can sell some kiss-ass software to run on it!!!!

5. Wasn't Amithlon a "competitor" to AROS?  :-D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 04:59:56 PM »
I don't think we will need to keep any special checks on Harald, people don't seem to realise that he has been involved with AROS since 1997, that's even before me  (1998-1999) :-) .

I seem to recall that Harald suggested AROS as the base OS for Amithlon (instead of Linux). But Bernie wasn't happy with that.

I have no insider knowledge on the subject, but I suspect Harald might be thinking of using AROS for future Amithlon projects. I think this would be great, as AROS would get drivers and Harald can continue his/the Emulator.

Please, I don't want to get into political arguments about Amithlon, because I simply don't care. The whole incident was ugly and I may not like the way certain people behaved, but that has nothing to do with AROS.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 11:15:17 AM »
The integrity of AROS as a project depends on the integrity of those who contribute to it. Allow that to be tainted and everyone involved will get painted with the same brush.

And until I have any evidence to suggest that any AROS dev has acted in an underhand way with respect to AROS, I have no reason to think that anyone will behave in such a way.
As I said, Amithlon was nasty, messy and something which we should all put in the past, and while it was a nice idea I never saw it as a viable solution to running an AmigaOS type OS on x86 hardware, it was weak from the start, it just got killed a little early. If I want to run 68k AmigaOS programs I'll just use UAE.

Anyway, I have no insider knowledge as to what Harald want's to do in the future, but I imagine he would like to make a new emulator system...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 04:09:11 PM »
Well it was weak but feels way faster then AROS, isn't that weird... but hey, because you don't feel it like a viable solution (despite selling very well) doesn't mean it don't deserve to 'live'...

Weak, not in a speed sense, but from a conceptial sense. I loved the idea of Amithlon (I would have approached it in a different and less comercial/user friedly way) but it was nothing more than a toy, in the same was as my poor beloved A1200 is now just a toy (despite being the greatest machine ever made).

No, Amithlon did not deserve to die, I think it was a fun idea. But as far as I'm concerned the dispute is between Harald and Bernie. I may or may not agree with the behaviour of the parties involved, but I try to stay out of other peoples fights. I would like to note that I do not belive Bernie was treated fairly, I think he has behaved exceptionaly throughout this ordeal, unlike others involved in this case.
Moral of this story? trust no one?

I imagine AROS doesn't feel that fast when compared to Amithlon... Concider the flollowing:

1. Amithlon runs programs designed for the old 68K running at 7Mhz (or 50Mhz for some of us) on a CPU running at 1Ghz+. Thid fact alone makes it seem fast.
2. Amithlon had hardware specific drivers, AROS currently uses very clever generic ones.
3. How any CPU intensive tasks have you run on AROS? How many of those tasks have you run on Amithlon?
4. Amithlon is nothing more than an emulator (which isn't that hard to do), AROS is a full OS and is not finished yet.