Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is this thread for real? (AInc has <$100)  (Read 11509 times)

Description:

Offline LoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Lo
Is this thread for real? (AInc has <$100)
« on: September 09, 2003, 02:26:36 AM »
hmm, this ann.lu link appeared on one of the Amithlon mailing lists.  Bill fled court, is not healthy,  etc.
Tig and gary_c are posting to it, and I have always respected their opinions.

AInc. not well :-?
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
Re: Is this thread for real? (AInc has <$100)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 02:32:23 AM »
Well. That document R.Woods has published (check link from moobunny)
seems to fit with most of the things I have been hearing during last
year or so. Can't be 100% sure of it's authenticity but I can't
remeber Amigainc been declaring this (or older copies of counrt
records he's been putting to his website) being fake.

Edit..
http://www.flyingmice.com/cgi-bin/squidcgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/90774.shtml

(sorry.. those javasript thingys on this site don't work on Voyager so
no directly clickable link..)

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 03:05:41 AM »
Download the court documents and see for yourself.  They make an interesting read.

Bill admits Amiga is insolvent. They have $100 in their bank account but debts of $2.2 million. They haven't paid their staff for over a year and haven't filed taxes since 2000.  They have no revenue but are delaying declaring bankruptcy in the hope that they will find new investors.

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 03:05:41 AM »
WOW..the first I've seen of this... heard of it yes... looks real to me.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 03:23:04 AM »
This is some of the most depressing reading I've stumbled across yet.  Maybe one last hope for AInc. to make a few bucks is selling the movie rights to their downfall, ala Deathbed Vigil.  Would be nice to step in the future a few years and see what really was the truth behind all this foolishness.

Mike
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 03:25:38 AM »
JoannaK : That document R.Woods has published (check link from moobunny) seems to fit with most of the things I have been hearing during last year or so. Can't be 100% sure of it's authenticity but I can't remeber Amigainc been declaring this (or older copies of counrt records he's been putting to his website) being fake

JoanneK, it's a lot easier to contest any doofus's claims those are not authentic legal documents and transcripts than it is to prove over the internet that the Garry "Gary WHO? - oh, you mean THAT Garry" Hare business card was NOT a photoshop chop. It'd take someone pretty dumb indeed to go out on such a limb over these papers (not that it didn't require a certain foolishness to say the Garry Hare card scan was a fake).

...One would note that Garry Hare was mentioned in this last pdf within the pages that are already of public record.
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Desmon

• Show only replies by Desmon
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 03:37:55 AM »
The real question should be......

Does anyone really care anymore?
Cache Ya,
Craig.

Busy playing with my Trainz and loving it!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 05:06:07 AM »
@Lo

It's real.

Good or bad, it's real.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline tony23

• Show only replies by tony23
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 05:19:05 AM »
This really is sad news in a long list of sad news but it's nothing we weren't aware of being a possibility for a while now. I just hope it can have a happy ending somehow.  Lets hope for happy days for all Amigans. :-)

Who knows maybe there could be some mysterious backer to bail em out and all will turn out for the better in the end.

Cheer up !  it ain't the end of the world .
 Yet ...
 :-)
Talk minus Action = Zero

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 06:32:32 AM »
I will say one thing, I was in the Seattle area in July this year.. Maybe I was there on the wrong day, or they were in Europe somewhere hanging out with Medhi Ali or something ;-)

However my impression after trying to contact the snoqualmi office (I wanted a tour and would have paid for it . Hey! that would bring in some money at least!) was "the lights were on but no one was home".

An old Atari/Amiga guy (who was there for the same games dev conference I was) told me they bought the whole thing for 10 cents on the dollar and they were attempting to try to find a BUYER for the Amiga Tech reminants who would keep it alive.  

Who knows how true this is, but it's wid speculation to me, but he does live in Bill Gates back yard and he's definitely aware of any regional wheelings and dealings that might be going on.

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 06:40:58 AM »
I will say one thing, I was in the Seattle area in July this year.. Maybe I was there on the wrong day, or they were in Europe somewhere hanging out with Medhi Ali or something  

ROTFL!! :-D  :-D  :-D

Is that where Medhi Ali is these days?  Any idea what company he's running into the ground now, or does he still pal around with the rest of the good 'ole boys, flying around on the Commodore jet?

edit:  Did you say July of this year?  So two months ago?  I'd thought their offices long cleared out by then...
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 07:07:11 AM »
Yep, it was LAST July ("between may and july" -Bill McEwen) that employees stopped getting paid, and it was last year they were forced from their offices...

Now that we know when the employees wern't getting paid, we know that the CAM crap happened during a time when they had no money. They had already stopped paing employees.

It's very clear now that they were quite literally "Gambling" with money customers sent them. They only intended to fullfill their commitments *IF* they gambled and won. At least with an illegal financial pyramid scheme you know you're at risk... Amiga never disclosed the fact they would be spending the customers money on other things while waiting to get "lucky" to fullfill those obligations.

That's really slimey. I sympathise with their position before the CAM issue, but they really pulled a fast one on everyone who trusted them.

I wonder if I put an ad on the net claiming I'll sell a generic coupon for $50, and the cost is $50 up front, and then went to Las Vegas instead of sending the coupons, hoping to come out ahead, if I'd be criminally charged if I lost the money? "But your honor, I fully intended to honor the coupons if I won!"

Disgracefull. :-(

this space for rent

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 07:26:08 AM »
I'm with Desmon.  I check out Amiga spinoffs (like MorphOS) now and then out of curiosity, but there's no way in hell I'd buy anything from Amiga Inc.  I lost all faith in them when I bought the SDK, and found it was filled with little more than Intent and java applets.

Besides, I'll never buy anything that doesn't work on PC components.  It's the OS, not the hardware, that gets on my nerves.  Next to my P4 2.6c, Amiga One looks like a real dog, and at more than three times the cost.  Who DIDN'T see this coming?

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2003, 07:50:42 AM »

Lo wrote:
hmm, this ann.lu link appeared on one of the Amithlon mailing lists.  Bill fled court, is not healthy,  etc.
Tig and gary_c are posting to it, and I have always respected their opinions.

Lo,

Its completely true, lots of interesting information in the court case,  proof for all the naysayers that the things that Bolten, myself and others have been saying about them not paying anyone for over a year, hugely in debt,  no offices etc.   Court case goes to the judge on September 19th according to my read of the documents, though Rich thinks Oct 3rd (which was the original date) .  I was thoroughly disgusted to find out that apparently Bill, Barry (Fleecy) and Randy had sweethearted themselves 500k+ salaries, I think that may well explain why the company had money trouble, and I think their VC guys are really going to be interested in those numbers when this all shakes out.   I mean according to McEwens deposition, over a year of back salaries for over a dozen people plus other debts they currently have is less then the year or so of back salary they owe Fleecy, the equally large number they owe Randy and only about 1/2 as much as they owe Bill in back salary.   Now my guess is that Bills number is wrong and they owe more then 2.2 million.  Since if we deduct known debts (Bolten, Matt, etc) from the 400K or so Bill says they have as debt to the non big 3, and then divide that by who Bill says are still working for them, we get less then 30K each for over 1 year of work.   That sounds unlikely given we have yet to see the salary of  an Amiga Inc employee that makes less then 30K annually.  
         -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 07:53:02 AM »
:-(  That's all I have to say for the moment, " :-( ".
Regards,
Targhan