Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Returning user observation  (Read 1811 times)

Description:

Offline Lando

• Show all replies
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: Returning user observation
« on: September 03, 2003, 09:56:50 PM »

alx wrote:
PPC (or x86) really is the only way ahead now - while AmigaOS might be great on a 68060, it simply doesn't have the number crunching capabilities needed for modern applications (particularly games).  I hope that a lot of software that could run on the 68k Amigas is still ported to them though.

Now I read the threads that after all the development on AOS 4, the best I can get is a PPC "feeling" like a fast '060. Well I have that, so what's the exercise for?

I think you're referring to the GUI responsiveness.  The reason that it wasn't far quicker than a 68060 at the OS4 on tour and Amiwest presentations is that intuition was running through an emulator (not even a JIT emulator) - I believe that intuition is now PPC native, so this problem will have gone :-D

At AmiWest it was approximately the speed of an 040@33Mhz (running on a CSPPC).

The latest Petunia JIT benchmarks put it at a little over the speed of a "normal" 060 @ 50Mhz on CSPPC.  Of course it will be much faster on the AmigaOne.

The Pegasos with MorphOS 1.4 and the "Trance" JIT emulation is incredibly fast (giving almost 3200 MIPS in sysspeed - 50 times faster than my old A4000/060, or 380 times faster than my current A4000/030).

We really need more modern apps.