Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BT Openworld a word of warning -*Resolved*-  (Read 4470 times)

Description:

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
Re: BT Openworld a word of warning
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2003, 08:58:21 AM »
First write a letter.  
You want a responce within 7 days, remember to keep a copy.

If you have no joy.

Write a letter to BT MD, enclosing your original letter with there written responce.

Then go to Oftel.
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2003, 10:36:32 AM »
.... the information superhighway via the magic of BT's Openworld....

dialup?

my condolences
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2003, 11:37:56 AM »
Too true, I`m still waiting for them to come back and fix the noise on my phone line (again !!).

i had noise on my phone they never sorted it out properly .

when it`s sunny and dry ..the slightest hint of rain, and the phone sounds like a Ham radio

Thats the same as mine was. :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2003, 11:43:07 AM »
BT Broadband here ..

Only problem I have had is when my "Frog" USB modem went "out of sync" (Whatever that means).

Took about a week for an engineer to come out and replace it saying the classic  line  of....

"First time we've had one of these go down" !!

Otherwise .. I Recommend BT over every other Uk provider....However.. My brother,  who was a BT engineer for 23 years (just took voluntary redundancy) was himself "Kicked" from his ISDN Anytime account from BT ... Turns out "Anytime"  Isn't ANYTIME.

And DOES'NT recommend them at all ...

Bhoggets course of action is HIGHLY recommended by my bro as the "Way Forward".
The Reluctant Pom

Offline chris

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2003, 12:26:03 PM »
5 mins later the phone rings.. "Hello, it`s the engineer, just you the phones ok now!"

LOL!

To solve the original poster's problem, I would phone BT back, threaten to go to Oftel if they refuse to help (my cousin used to work for Mercury and the slightest mention of Oftel and they would do anything for you  ;-) )

If that doesn't work, put it in writing.

If it still doesn't get resolved to your satisfaction, go to Oftel.

Chris
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2003, 02:31:07 PM »
That is nasty indeed and sort of proves BT are capable of anything. Me personaly i cant complain to much, i have used there Broadband service  for quite a long time and never had that many problems plus i got a 25% discount just recently.

Thnx for the warning anyway and good luck.

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2003, 06:35:11 PM »
I pretty much agree with Calen, I'm on BTBB too. Isn't Openworld a limited to 150 hours a month or something?
I'd hate to have to put up with time limitations (again)!:roll:
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2003, 06:53:45 PM »
Thank you all!!! you have been a great comfort and help.

I will be following the official channels, and I hope for a resolution :-)

But This does mean that I will probably not be able to post here for a while... so bye all, and I hope to be back on line soon.... ish :-D

Offline Calen

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2003, 07:11:12 PM »
pretty much agree with Calen, I'm on BTBB too.

BTBB  and BTO are two seperate ISP's (i forget the finer details),  BTO came first and BTBB followed after the wires only installs became more popular. When i originaly signed up for BB around 18 months ago BTBB did not exist.
 I think BTBB are alittle cheaper to as they don't offer the same amount of webspace/emails address as there sidekick.
 it's also "rumoured" that BTBB have a limit on how much you can download per month but its prolly so high you  wont ever have that problem and even if you do, you may just get a slap on the wrist.  BTO do not have these restrictions .

Isn't Openworld a limited to 150

150 -  you mean hours per month acess?

If so..You are confusing there adsl with dialup, yes there dialup service has heavy restrictions like 90% of other UK dialup providers, but yeah.. BTO do offer the service of dialup and BB,  i'm really not sure if BTBB offer a dialup service, who would want it anyway :)

Having said all that, there ADSL service is pretty much identical but you can still tell them apart on say... IRC

*BTopenworld.com

*BTcentralplus.com :-)

In the end though.. the customer service with BTO  is terrible but i can't fault there BB line service that much though, i would have left a long time ago otherwise.

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2003, 11:15:44 PM »
I'm sure I've been misquoted... :-?  
Alright perhaps the "a" didn't have to be there, but I did mention it was per month.
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline Minion

• Show only replies by Minion
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2003, 11:58:07 PM »
Dont pay it and dont worry.  Even if you have breached your contract, they'll lost any case they may take out against you.  By law they simply cannot enforce any unreasnoble terms in the contract.  Cut off any method they have of getting money from you, and change service providers.  They are one of the worst in the country.  Ignore any correspondance and threats.  You will know if they actually do take any court action out against you, dut to the parerwork you will recieve.  It is imperative that you DO reply to this.

Take this advice from a man that has taken several companies to court, and been taken to court by companies.  I have never lost to the fvckers.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

Offline bloodlineTopic starter

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2003, 01:07:07 AM »

Minion wrote:
Dont pay it and dont worry.  Even if you have breached your contract, they'll lost any case they may take out against you.  By law they simply cannot enforce any unreasnoble terms in the contract.  Cut off any method they have of getting money from you, and change service providers.  They are one of the worst in the country.  Ignore any correspondance and threats.  You will know if they actually do take any court action out against you, dut to the parerwork you will recieve.  It is imperative that you DO reply to this.

Take this advice from a man that has taken several companies to court, and been taken to court by companies.  I have never lost to the fvckers.

Really?!?! I have been thinking about this and it apears that the reason I have had my account terminated does not appear in the contract! There is nothing about changing the name of the account holder of the phone line at all!!!

I hope that by following the complaints procedure, leading to Oftel, I can resolve this matter.

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2003, 01:50:36 AM »

bloodline wrote:

Really?!?! I have been thinking about this and it apears that the reason I have had my account terminated does not appear in the contract! There is nothing about changing the name of the account holder of the phone line at all!!!

They thought they could wrangle some extra cash out of an innocent customer, but you've got them by the balls now :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline tonyw

• Show only replies by tonyw
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2003, 02:26:35 AM »
Hey, BL: I agree with CamperMan, put it in writing. A phone call only lasts until the operator (who is probably in New Delhi) hangs up. A letter of complaint (cc Fair Trading Standards Board), quoting the contents of their letter and arguing each point succinctly and without bluster, will stay in their files and can not be "lost", especially if you photocopy it at the newsagent's before you post it. If you register it, even better.

But don't threaten or speak rudely to them, it only makes them feel guilty, and less likely to fix the problem.

tony

Offline Turambar

• Show only replies by Turambar
    • http://gentleman-bastards.com/
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2003, 11:42:19 PM »
i lost my broadband for well over a day so i contacted my isp (gio internet) who went through all the possible causes, after me telling him id checked everything he finally agreed that it was a loss of signal from the exchange and told me i should contact bt to have it resolved. I contacted BT and they told me that my line was fine several times even tho they couldnt check the line after much hullabaloo they still said my line was fine and that it was my modem that was to blame (quite how he knew this when he didnt even realise pci adsl modems existed i dont know). Miraculously my line got fixed shortly after. Point is, the bastards will never admit that its their fault and will always tell you its something that you have done.

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 01, 2003, 09:58:20 AM »
Again, more proof that BT is a bunch of wankers... Glad I don't have to deal with them on this side of the pond!
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -