Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: natami  (Read 13850 times)

Description:

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
Re: natami
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 01:53:50 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;693457
...and feature creep claims yet another victim :(

I'm still hopeful that something will come of this, but I'm not going to be holding my breath...

Babbage Syndrome. Get almost done, then think of something even cooler.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 02:33:49 AM »
I always thought the the Natami scope was way too large, better to aim for something like the FPGA Arcade (and because it's FPGA based, expand it after it is released).

Talking of the FPGA Arcade....are we there yet????
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 02:52:30 AM »
I can't spend £400-450 on an FPGA Amiga.

The reason is classic 2D Amiga games all run the same whether you have an 060 or a 7mhz 68000.

I'm not even sure how much FPGA Arcade or Minimig costs but to be honest this whole FPGA thing is a dead end unless Jeri Ellsworth mass produces her system for the equivalent of £50 it's just not worth it.

Probably be a better idea to make this 68050 FPGA softcore into an accelerator and sell it for £150-200 for high sales volume.

(Sorry if this offends people, just my opinion given how good WinUAE is)

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:19 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;693460

I'm not even sure how much FPGA Arcade or Minimig costs but to be honest this whole FPGA thing is a dead end unless Jeri Ellsworth mass produces her system for the equivalent of £50 it's just not worth it.

Amiga is a bit more complex than a C64 in a joystick...  Im sure the higher costs involved reflect alot of R&D time,  etc...   I think FPGA Arcade is around the $500USD  markish  cant remember.. but at least its not a CUSA $2000 jobbie which is just a regular PCcceee!  

Just my thoughts..

Offline psxphill

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
Quote from: darkage;693461
Amiga is a bit more complex than a C64 in a joystick... Im sure the higher costs involved reflect alot of R&D time, etc...

Jeri had already done alot of the work for the C-One before the DTV. So most of the R&D time had already been paid for or written off. It probably wouldn't have happened if they'd had to pay her for all her time up front.

The C64 was a much better known computer than the Amiga, so the cost of hardening the design into an ASIC and mass production was worth it. I don't think we'll see the situation repeated.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Personally I don't need hardware based emulation, I'd rather put all my money in one powerful machine and run other systems virtually.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »
The interesting thing is that now, with smart phones and tablets and the WEB all over, I find myself using my "computers" less and less (not counting work of course).

I still watch videos and such, but my tablet does that.
I'm not a serious FPS gamer, so that doesn't bother me.
I don't do anything that requires a graphics/sound/video workstation.

So, I've found that with my tablet sitting by me, I use my older computers much more than I use to...

It's funny too, one of the things I use my tablet for most (or the laptop, I haven't even turned on the desktop in months and months) is Amiga forums.

Honestly, if there was a 68k Amiga fast enough to support a decent web browser, I'd do that much more.  I'd rather use my Amiga for browsing rather than the tablet.
In fact, I do going to Aminet and eabmobile.  The Amiga.org proxy is OK, but not quite good enough on my 1230/28.

So, a 68k Amiga running near 100Mhz, especially with Picasso emulation and more CHIP RAM, I could see being very useful..
The Natami extras sound really great, but I'm not sure they'd be worth much more to someone like me....

Ideally, a really fast FPGA Arcade that fit inside an Amiga case using an Amiga keyboard and floppy, but with some expanded graphics...  That would be very very very tempting...  ;-)

I can see Natami doing that perfectly also, but the cost might be too much for me..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
Natami is a monumental waste of time. Nerd trophy at best, monument to the square wheel at worst.

Offline arttu80

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;693503
Natami is a monumental waste of time. Nerd trophy at best, monument to the square wheel at worst.

A square wheel with wings so it might fly, so no use for that square wheel. It's quite clear, by the way, you don't need one, but some of us will love to use that "old" new piece of technology which resembles true Amiga. Not all of computing needs are based on MIPS and FPS stuff, I think.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »
it is a waste time as all the PPC based systems are. It is a fun thing and some would have liked to use it. Hobby, perhaps nostalgic to a certain degree. If we all would be "rational" we all would not be here :-).

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Quote from: arttu80;693505
A square wheel with wings so it might fly, so no use for that square wheel. It's quite clear, by the way, you don't need one, but some of us will love to use that "old" new piece of technology which resembles true Amiga. Not all of computing needs are based on MIPS and FPS stuff, I think.

...which is an odd thing to say, since the Amiga has had accelerator cards from day one, and since 1993 and the release of DOOM, Amigans have been saying "We can do that!  We can do that!" :)
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »
the thing is that it's all very vague over on the natami forums.Are the rest of the team still involved in the creation of the natami or is it just thomas the hardware guy working completely alone? can one man however skilled realistically develop such a system on his own?I ask cos I don't know.A little clarity would go a long way about such matters.Obviously the team don't have to divulge anything private just some clarification as to what is happening.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;693503
Yeah, so? Plenty of enjoyable things in life aren't useful in a strict efficiency sense, doesn't make them not worthwhile, unless you're a joyless loser who thinks of "fun" as a waste of time.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
Quote from: wrath of khan;693515
can one man however skilled realistically develop such a system on his own?I ask cos I don't know.

Minimig was done by one man working alone, I think that serves as some sort of proof that yes this is possible and past-tense. MikeJ Is doing yet another FPGA board all alone, and working on various cores to put into it. Natami is any different? Yet another another FPGA board with yet another Amiga core in it... Didn't Jens pretty much complete Clone-A, but wasn't satisfied that AI could legitimately license him to sell it as a full system? These guys are not Mick Tinker... :p
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 08:45:39 PM »
Honestly, if it's a faster Amiga blitter with more chip-RAM you're after, WinUAE is the way to go.  If it's all that plus you want "the feel of hardware on real 68k processors" FPGA-Arcade is the way to go.  If you've gotta have all of that and don't want to spend the bank, Mini-Mig.

I think Natami may wind up going the way of Mick Tinker's project(s), which while a shame is just kind of the way it goes.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #44 from previous page: May 18, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
After years and years of teases,updates, changes, still no release date. I don't think it will ever happen. I was interested in this, until I realized I could simply remove windows shell and boot straight to os3.x with winuae.

That 3ghz pc cost me 30$ on ebay. And its here right now.