Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS on PDAs ?  (Read 2144 times)

Description:

Offline ValanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Valan
    • http://www.creativepixels.com.hk
Amiga OS on PDAs ?
« on: September 05, 2003, 04:57:17 AM »
I post this coz my girlfriend just bought a Sony Clie sj33. The hardware is amazing and the price is ok too(HK$1500, about 120pounds).

For those who don't know it, on the hardware side it compares roughly with the original amiga. no H/disk 320x240, full colour, 16Mb ram, removable media(128mb max), IR, built for MP3 play.

I know that AmigaDE may run on it but this is superbly suited for Amiga stuff. I haven't taken much notice of PDAs but I do now and this is the lower end of the scale.

The best thing is the OS(PalmOS). You can run a program say a game but there is no 'quit' command. You simply choose another program or you 'tun off' the machine. Another thing is that 'turning off' is not really turning off. I mean turning off is setting the machine into hibernate mode so that it is in the same state you left it when it starts up again.

It feels like it is multitasking but it is not. I looked at WinCE quickly yesterday and it does not feel as smooth.

I am excited I guess because it is the first time in 8yrs that something feels like it goes down the same road as the Amiga.

It would be foolish to put the whole AmigaOs onto it but if it worked like an Amiga it would be even better than it is now.

What do other think?

Valan

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
Re: Amiga OS on PDAs ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 08:49:50 AM »
It won't run AmigaDE unless it is rewritten AFAIK. (I have a Clie myself, just exchanged my Palm a few weeks ago)

AmigaOS AFAIR requires 640x256 as the minimum resolution, so simply you have to wait just a little longer :-) (There are other issues however, memory handling of the palm, the screen, etc., the Palms/Clies are a slightly different in architecture than the original Amigas)

Offline MrZammler

• Show only replies by MrZammler
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 08:59:50 AM »
Actually, there is a port of UAE, but for the Zaurus which uses Linux instead of PalmOS, check google for it.

I'm guessing that's the closer you can get to running AOS on a Palm-like device.

Maybe someone could get going on a PalmOS port of UAE?
Anyway is the only way

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 02:50:57 PM »
Hi Warface,
The minimum screen is 320x240 in NTSC mode and 320x256 in PAL. Almost all games are in 320x256/240 mode.

PalmOS uses simplicity and direct access to allow people to use the machine. I think the media properties of AmigaOS, its small size and the multitasking would suit this type of machine ideally.

Maybe not a literal port but one with the same basis.

Valan

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 03:37:49 PM »
The minimum screen is 320x240 in NTSC mode and 320x256 in PAL. Almost all games are in 320x256/240 mode.

But we are speaking about the OS here. Don't mix it up please.

Offline Lozrus

• Show only replies by Lozrus
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 03:56:13 PM »
Well, a Palm port of AROS is actually underway (and, I think, partially working) so you might actually get your wish  :-)

There may even be a certain amount of binary compatibility as the palm processor is 68000 based.  :-o

Loz

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 05:55:17 PM »

Lozrus wrote:
Well, a Palm port of AROS is actually underway (and, I think, partially working) so you might actually get your wish  :-)

Yes, I recall seeing some screenshots (or photos) of AROS running on a Palm hardware. Very interesting indeed! But perhaps that certain AROS "distribution" has been put on ice now, because I have not heard anything about it for a long time ...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2003, 07:22:34 PM »

Valan wrote:

PalmOS uses simplicity and direct access to allow people to use the machine.

In what sense do you mean direct access?  Usage, programming or what?
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2003, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi N7VQM,
Sorry I mean usage since I am not a programmer. Also by direct access I simply mean that parts of the system are still 'directly accessable' no matter how the machine is used, or at least seems to be.

Warface,
I think the resolution is 320x240/256 but it scrolls to 640pixels wide. I just tried to check but my Amigas HD just died :-(

So now I need to ask where can I get it fixed, and get a new one?

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2003, 08:51:22 PM »
Lozrus and takemehomegrandma,
I do hope so it seems to be ideal. Ppaint, Finalcopy and Starglider on my girlfriends Sony Clie would be great.

Played Lemmings today and it seems even better with a pen to select the little fellas. I think games like Powermonger or The Settlers would look and play really well.

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2003, 10:59:59 PM »
There may even be a certain amount of binary compatibility as the palm processor is 68000 based.

Are you telling me my Palm Zire 71 with a Texas Instruments OMAP procesoor is 680x0 compatible? If ti is... well, that's an 140 MHz 68K chip there... =)
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2003, 12:36:47 AM »
Palm Clie's handsprings all stopped using the 68000 compatible chips last year. They were fully 68020 up to 66mhz. One of the early clie had this, +a 320x320 res colour screen. I'm sure a custom workbench (with small fonts etc) would look lovely on this. Games would look cool as well, most modern apps would be to cramped though, Still, A500 apps like DPaint and vista would be ok. The OS would need a LOT of hacking. Graphics handling would be simple -just write a driver for Picasso/cybergraphics telling Intuition that the Clie screen is a custom graphics card. Memory, CIA and other chip dependencies would be the real headache. Not having to write a CPU emu would help. You'd have to emulate Paula, or only hear sounds on AHI compatible drives(with a palm driver) I'd love to see this.

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2003, 03:18:46 AM »

Khephren wrote:
Palm Clie's handsprings all stopped using the 68000 compatible chips last year. They were fully 68020 up to 66mhz.

The MC68SZ328, the fastest 68k-based Dragonball, is based on a FLX68000 CPU which is identical to the MC68EC000.  It just happens to run at 66.32MHz.  MC68020 code would not run on these processors but 68000 code will.

See the Features section of this document:
MC68SZ328 Product Brief
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2003, 04:55:29 AM »
This is looking better and better. I just hope the AROS guys can get it done soon.

Dpaint or Ppaint would be great as an ideas sketch pad.
66mhz is plenty fast enough for averyday usage, I mean I won't be rendering or doing heavy video or sound work.
What's the current stus of DE or will we need to wait until AOS becomes hardware independent?

Valan