Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Viva Amiga Release Date  (Read 621 times)

Description:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
Re: Viva Amiga Release Date
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 13, 2016, 01:36:10 AM »
"pre orders" as if lol

I was routing for this project. being a professional producer im not quite sure where all the money went? Ill have to see it before casting judgement on that.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 04:43:22 PM »
Quote from: DutchinUSA;817534
Just finished watching it .. not overly impressed by it, others might think differently. Always great to see Dave and R.J.

I have to agree.  It's worth watching once, but IMO it doesn't live up to all the hype and it certainly was not worth the long wait.

Offline UberFreak

• Show only replies by UberFreak
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »
I'm annoyed its not on sharing sites yet, since I can't watch it online.
Maybe its not interesting enough for pirates :)

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »
My Bedrooms to Billions: The Amiga Years Special Edition Blu-Ray arrived today + Floppy Disk Beer Mat!!!! Awesome!!! Will settle down to watch it on my laptop now. Thank God for laptops with optical Blu-Ray drives as the Mrs is hogging the TV!!!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2016, 12:43:11 AM »
I've seen about a third and Bedrooms to Billions is bloody brilliant! Seriously pick up a copy. It nearly redresses the pro-Apple / pro-IBM rewrite of history that has happened. They say the victor takes all but the Amiga has had opportunity to put a different angle of history forward and that can only be a good thing. This has high production values, audio and editing. Nice!
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline ToddH

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »
Quote from: BozzerBigD;817741
I've seen about a third and Bedrooms to Billions is bloody brilliant! Seriously pick up a copy. It nearly redresses the pro-Apple / pro-IBM rewrite of history that has happened. They say the victor takes all but the Amiga has had opportunity to put a different angle of history forward and that can only be a good thing. This has high production values, audio and editing. Nice!

Just watched Viva Amiga and Bedroom to Billions is superior in every way. After all of the wait Viva was disappointing.

Offline slimf

• Show only replies by slimf
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Just watched it on Hulu tonight (must have released it early?).. it was ok, but was hoping for more real detail rather than what seemed like a lets all feel warm and fuzzy mini advert.

Offline Pentad

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
Yes, this was bad. I was excited to see the film but after I saw the 20 minute teaser on YouTube  he gave at some Amiga show I became concerned. It was a chaotic mess and I hoped he would work it out in Post but atlas he did not.

After seeing the entire film on Hulu these are my thoughts:

There was no structure to the film and he set no rhythm to the narrative. The pace was just chaotic.

The few Commodore people he had in the film gave little to no information that would have offered some depth to the film.

For films like this, the fans do not offer much in terms of substance to the heart of your narrative. People like Jeff Porter could have really anchored the film with insight into Commodore, the Amiga, and the rise and fall of the company. Sadly, there was very little of this here.  

I do not know if the the filmmaker left that information on the cutting room floor or did not know how to ask the questions to get that information out of Jeff.  It appeared that Jeff was outgoing and knowledge so I would have thought interviewing him would have elicited a wealth of material for a film like this.

We saw very little of Bryce Nesbitt which was also a shame, though, he seemed introverted so his interview would have had to be approached differently than Porter.

Dave Haynie was larger than life but he has been interviewed so much that you either have to find new material to ask him about or sprinkle his comments throughout the film (which they sort of did).

Tim Jenison was also in the film but haphazardly which is kind of a shame. When I saw him in another documentary (Billboards I think) he had a wealth of content to share which was great. I felt he probably had a lot more to offer which I hoped this film would tap into but again it seemed like a missed opportunity.

Finally, the "Computer Historian" was just terrible. He was really just a fan with a made up title. He got a few facts wrong and just gave poor credibility to the film.

If you look at successful documentaries you have people who play certain parts to a film like this: fans, subjects, eye witnesses, and experts. These mix together to create a symmetry to the narrative of the film. You go to your experts to give credibility to the fans or the eye witnesses. These experts are usually somebody with a title at a university or an established place of knowledge.

Without getting to deep, Ken Burns does a great job of this in his many documentaries.

In the end, it was an ok film made by fans for fans.  I think many of us would like to see a more detailed documentary on Commodore and the Amiga. I realize that we should be grateful anybody is doing something like this and it is a labor of love.

-P

PS - One of my degrees is in film and I won the Sundance film festival with my first film so that is how I know so much about film...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:40:46 PM by Pentad »
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Pentad;817760
PS - One of my degrees is in film and I won the Sundance film festival with my first film so that is how I know so much about film...

very cool. what was the film? perhaps i've seen it?

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."