Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which Linux?!!!!!!  (Read 5607 times)

Description:

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
Re: Which Linux?!!!!!!
« on: April 27, 2003, 08:22:47 AM »

D@n wrote:
I am Sick of Windows in almost every way, the way it works, looks, and most of all the stabiblity,

Which version of MS Windows(in regards to stability)?

MS Windows 9x/ME cannot be equated with NT5.1/5.2 (a.k.a Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 respectively).

Except, of course if you are talking about Linux, but then Linux isn't exactly an OS that a 14 year old can just pick up and go, it required careful tweaking and understanding before it can be of any use, let alone drivers for the hardware you may have.
Linux looks great on some screenshots I have seen(Mandrake 9.0) so good that I tried it out and tried to do something useful with it, I then found that it couldn't use my modem therefore I was stuck without the internet, so I changed back to windows.
Now what I am asking is, is there any 'User frienly' Linux Distros that are easy to pick up, and offer good stuff that is easy to configure to the average end user, and also I am thinking about Wine, does this actually do what it says it does and how hard is it to use and set up?
Also are there any 'how to use linux from A-Z' websites on the internet that show you which Distro is best for you, how to install and setup, and what to do from there etc.
Thanks for all your help
Dan :-D

Refer to
"http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major" for other major Linux distros...

I do like Lycoris for 'relative' ease of use (used in Walmart PCs). It's a competitor to Lindows (yet another commercial Linux distro, also used in Walmart PCs (IF I recall correctly)).

http://www.lycoris.com
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 03:00:48 AM »

jeffimix wrote:
Sounds good, if I'd read this earlier I'd have said Lindows. supposedly it runs 60% of windows programs. Although I'm sure it needs tweaking for about half of those. WinE is a beautiful thing.

Note that Wine/WineX runs half the speed of Windows2000...

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 03:12:20 AM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
Use a G3 iMac running OS X (Unix based) and a piece of cake to us and set-up.

By extension, the Windows NT kernel is based on DEC’s VMS (yet another *nix like).  Apple is not the first company that bolted in a brain dead user interface and a *nix like kernel. MS Windows’s TCP/IP stack is based/ripped/copied/assimilated  from BSD sources.  MS's Internet Explorer is based/ripped/copied/assimilated on NCSA Mosaic.

MS just re-packaged and marketed all these sources and called it Windows NT/2K/XP/2003 and 'etc'.