Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which Linux?!!!!!!  (Read 5498 times)

Description:

Re: Which Linux?!!!!!!
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 26, 2003, 11:34:51 PM »
morphix looks good im going to download it sometime .I like suse myself

I used to use SuSE myself years ago, I even bought versions 5.3 and 7.3 box sets.

I have used Gentoo for a few months now, and it is no doubt the best distro ever once you get it set up and configured to our liking.

But my Gentoo box died the other week, I've been using my Windows XP machine since and it's hell!!!

Morphix is very good though, it's based on Knoppix, which in turn is based on Debian, so you get the best of both worlds with it, but i reccommend Morphic over Knoppix as it's easier for a non techie user to install to HD (And you can download a ISO that doesn't have the dreaded KDE on it!)

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2003, 04:03:42 AM »

amigamad wrote:
@ mdma

morphix looks good im going to download it sometime .I like suse myself but it is not easy to download because they provide no iso images although they do an evaluation version which boots from cd which you can download as an iso. morphix looks like the best choice i had not heard of this distro before booting from cd without installing is briliant .

You can install the full-current Suse from the live-iso CD. (They'll probably change this once more people realise this :)
this space for rent

Offline N7VQM

• Show only replies by N7VQM
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2003, 07:18:53 AM »

Floid wrote:
The Peon's Guide to Gaining *NIX Proficiency
by Floid

Wow...makes me want to go rip my RH8 box apart and start all over again!  I wonder if I can telnet to the box from a floppy boot.....
\\"...an error of 1 is much less significant in counting the population of the Earth than in counting the occupants of a phone booth.\\" - Michael T. Heath, Scientific Computing...

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2003, 08:22:47 AM »

D@n wrote:
I am Sick of Windows in almost every way, the way it works, looks, and most of all the stabiblity,

Which version of MS Windows(in regards to stability)?

MS Windows 9x/ME cannot be equated with NT5.1/5.2 (a.k.a Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 respectively).

Except, of course if you are talking about Linux, but then Linux isn't exactly an OS that a 14 year old can just pick up and go, it required careful tweaking and understanding before it can be of any use, let alone drivers for the hardware you may have.
Linux looks great on some screenshots I have seen(Mandrake 9.0) so good that I tried it out and tried to do something useful with it, I then found that it couldn't use my modem therefore I was stuck without the internet, so I changed back to windows.
Now what I am asking is, is there any 'User frienly' Linux Distros that are easy to pick up, and offer good stuff that is easy to configure to the average end user, and also I am thinking about Wine, does this actually do what it says it does and how hard is it to use and set up?
Also are there any 'how to use linux from A-Z' websites on the internet that show you which Distro is best for you, how to install and setup, and what to do from there etc.
Thanks for all your help
Dan :-D

Refer to
"http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major" for other major Linux distros...

I do like Lycoris for 'relative' ease of use (used in Walmart PCs). It's a competitor to Lindows (yet another commercial Linux distro, also used in Walmart PCs (IF I recall correctly)).

http://www.lycoris.com
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2003, 09:08:53 PM »
I have downloaded and i am running morphix linux from the disc and i have to say this one of the best linux distros ive seen i got the kde version because i prefer it it works without fault even has nvidia drivers running for fast 3d and onboard sound is working without fault,one of the best distros i have tried. :-D  :-D  :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2003, 11:47:06 PM »
i have to say this one of the best linix distros ive seen

Install it to hd, then do this to see it really fly!

su

apt-get update
apt-get install prelink
prelink -afmR

This will prelink all your executables to their dependencies.  Loading times get reduced by at least 50%.

just do "prelink -afmR" everytime you install something new to get maximum effect.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2003, 03:00:48 AM »

jeffimix wrote:
Sounds good, if I'd read this earlier I'd have said Lindows. supposedly it runs 60% of windows programs. Although I'm sure it needs tweaking for about half of those. WinE is a beautiful thing.

Note that Wine/WineX runs half the speed of Windows2000...

Offline Hammer

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2003, 03:12:20 AM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
Use a G3 iMac running OS X (Unix based) and a piece of cake to us and set-up.

By extension, the Windows NT kernel is based on DEC’s VMS (yet another *nix like).  Apple is not the first company that bolted in a brain dead user interface and a *nix like kernel. MS Windows’s TCP/IP stack is based/ripped/copied/assimilated  from BSD sources.  MS's Internet Explorer is based/ripped/copied/assimilated on NCSA Mosaic.

MS just re-packaged and marketed all these sources and called it Windows NT/2K/XP/2003 and 'etc'.

Offline scorchio

• Show only replies by scorchio
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2003, 05:42:11 AM »
I work for Sun, and use Linux/Unix every day....

It's a nightmare... .don't use it! Trust me Windows is a joy to use compared to Linux....

Sorry to be negative n all.....

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2003, 05:44:43 AM »

scorchio wrote:
I work for Sun, and use Linux/Unix every day....

It's a nightmare... .don't use it! Trust me Windows is a joy to use compared to Linux....

Sorry to be negative n all.....

windows is crap, i only use it for games

different OS's for different purposes...

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2003, 01:33:53 PM »
windows is crap, i only use it for games

I have to use it for my dev tools for work, and my 4 year old son plays his games on it, and I use it for music software.  Thats it.

Linux  for everything else.   Oh hang on,  I use WinUAE over Linux-UAE as it is better IMHO.

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2003, 04:40:23 PM »
Looks like some good advice in this thread  but
it seems to me that personal preference has a
lot to do with your choice .  Maybe Wayne could
use this as a topic for one of the polls on this site .

Stupid question number 19 :-)

Once you have sorted out all your problems of
installation , hardware compatibility etc.,
what range of software can you run on Linux ?
Are there programs that run only on certain
varieties of Linux , or do they all run
equally well on all of them ?

(Reason for question -
I am a reluctant winDoze user at work , run an
Amiga 1200 at home  & have no experience at all
of Linux . I'm wondering if it's worth buying an
AmigaOne before AOS4 comes out & experimenting
with it )

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2003, 04:55:20 PM »
Are there programs that run only on certain
varieties of Linux , or do they all run
equally well on all of them ?

Any program compiled for linux will run on any other linux (On same CPU family).

If you buy an A1, get Debian for it (I think it's available, it s for Pegasos), then you'll never have software installation problems.  It'll be VERY confusing at first, but just ask   on forums when you get stuck and you'll get good help.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2003, 04:58:13 PM »
what range of software can you run on Linux ?
open office is supposed to be excellent. i have it but don't use it much as i'm mostly an artist, and without a printer (at the moment), i have no real reason for a word processor. but i'm sure i will use it someday.

there is an WinAmp type program which plays mp3's and audio files. xmm something. there is a cd player. forget the name. it just comes with the distro.

there are also programs which let you burn cd's.

if you have an external modem you can log on immediately and there are several browsers to pick from. and Opera comes in a linux version.

and, of course, there is GIMP. an excellent image processor. better in certain ways than Photoshop (unless you have to do alot of complex color printing). for animations i would still use IFX or AfterEffects. but GIMP is wonderful.

and there are games galore for those of you who play games. i don't much, but they are there.

and there are cool programs like kstars. it's an astronomy program like distant suns. fun stuff.

there are really alot of programs for linux. alot come with whatever you get, and then there are alot available from the web.

it's not like amiga which is the most user friendly OS out there - i'm still mucking about with fonts on my linux - but it is stable and fun.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2003, 06:23:01 PM »
here is a link for a picture of morphix running on a friends pc under virtual pc morphix picture

since i downloaded it about four or five other people i know are now trying it cant believe i had never heard of this distro. some very good software on the disc not  bloated with stuff you dont need .im going to put a 20 gig hd in my other pc to play with it and ill download the game iso. it detected my friends network card when booted from disc and he could go online without configuring anything i might use my 2nd pc for runnig linux .
 :-D
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2003, 06:33:18 PM »
t detected my friends network card when booted from disc and he could go online without configuring anything i might use my 2nd pc for runnig linux .

Why don't you use your second pc for running Winblows and your first for running Morphix? ;-)