Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hardfiles Don't Work With UAE and KS1.3?  (Read 1563 times)

Description:

Offline Super TWiTTopic starter

• Show only replies by Super TWiT
Hardfiles Don't Work With UAE and KS1.3?
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
HI everyone, I cannot seem to get hardfiles (both ones created by me, and ones using the "mount floppy as hard drive" option) to work with WB1.3 and KS1.3.  I think it has something to do with the fact that it is not seeing my FastFileSystem file.  It doesn't matter if I format the disk with KS3.1 and WB1.3, it still doesn't work.  On e-uae the hardfiles work.  However, I like UAE better because of its Save State function, so I'd prefer to keep using it.

Come on, someone out there's gotta use linux!:)

Here's the relevant contents of my config file:
x11.rom_path=/home/user/Amiga-Stuff/ROMs
x11.floppy_path=./
x11.hardfile_path=./
use_gui=yes
use_debugger=false
kickstart_rom_file=$(FILE_PATH)/amiga-os-310.rom
kickstart_rom_crc=0x43b6dd22
kickstart_ext_rom_file=
kickstart_key_file=$(FILE_PATH)/rom.key
kickshifter=false
hardfile2=rw,:/home/user/Amiga-Stuff/Hard-Drive/WB_1.3,32,1,2,512,0,,uae
hardfile=rw,32,1,2,512,/home/user/Amiga-Stuff/Hard-Drive/WB_1.3

The hardfile in question is 1023 MBs.  And the file "FastFileSystem" (correct case) exists in /home/user/Amiga-Stuff/ROMs.
Now, I never used HDtoolbox on this hardfile because I could never get it to allow me to partition it, I changed the interface to uaehf.device, and the image shows up as SSCI in HDToolbox, but it never allows me to partition it...  Could the reason the hardfile doesn't show up is because there is no RDB information?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:48:14 PM by Super TWiT »
Once there was a man and a boy in the woods.

Boy: I\'m scared...

Man: Hah! What have you got to be afraid of? I\'m the one that\'s going to be coming back alone!

Offline Thomas

Re: Hardfiles Don't Work With UAE and KS1.3?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
In order to use HDToolbox on a hardfile, you need to set Surfaces, Sectors and Reserved to 0, i.e. 0,0,0,512 instead of 32,1,2,512. The "RDB info" is created by HDToolbox when you use "change drive type".

In order to use FFS with a hardfile, you need to specify the path to the FastFileSystem file, i.e.

hardfile2=rw,:/home/user/Amiga-Stuff/Hard-Drive/WB_1.3,32,1,2,512,0,/home/user/Amiga-Stuff/ROMs/FastFileSystem,uae

To format this HDF you should use the format command in a CLI shell and specify the FFS and QUICK command line options. After format you might need to reboot in order for the file system to be recognised (at least this happened to me in WinUAE).