Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winuae and real harddisks under XP  (Read 782 times)

Description:

Offline cathalferrTopic starter

• Show only replies by cathalferr
Winuae and real harddisks under XP
« on: April 14, 2006, 02:21:38 AM »
I will be installing OS3.9 onto my A1200 in the next week or so, when my accelerator card arrives. I have a 6gb ide drive, and a 30gb ide drive.

In the meantime I want to prep the harddrive that will be going into the real amiga by attaching it to my pc, and hopefully partitioning it to suit, as well as copying over the relevant files from the OS3.9 cd and all the whdload games I have.

The trouble is, even with a blank unpartitioned harddrive - the 6gb, winuae under XP refuses to see a blank harddrive when I try to  'add harddrive', I get a 'no blank harddrives or RDB partitioned'

If I partition the 30gb (under the 4gb limit) with my real amiga and wb3.1, winuae refuses to see that drive or partitions either.

Any advice?

Would I be better off resurrecting an old win98 computer and running winuae on that to allow direct hardware access?

Thanks,
Cathal
--
A500 1mb
A1200 KS 3.1, 30gb hdd, 32mb, AmigaOS 3.9, blizzard 1230 & lots of whdload games.

Offline rustednail

• Show only replies by rustednail
Re: Winuae and real harddisks under XP
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:42:18 AM »
I had the same problem with my HDs.  It seemed to resolve after I partitioned it in OS3.0 (and later)  I installed OS3.5 through WinUAE and that is how I worked around that little glitch.

Hope this helps, Good luck

Bri

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: Winuae and real harddisks under XP
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 03:12:40 AM »
For a blank drive you need to use the -disableharddrivesafetycheck command line option.  This will allow drives without a valid RDB to be detected and used with WinUAE.

WARNING:  This allows all your drives to be selected for use.  Take care not to re-format your Windows drive.

Regarding your Windows 98 question, no.  Simply installing a drive in Windows 98 writes a signature (without asking) which will mess up any Amiga partitions.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(