Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)  (Read 13046 times)

Description:

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies

AOS on x86 would NOT attract applications, any more than BeOS did!

BeOS doesn't have a common virtual CPU platform between PPC edition and X86 edition.

PS; Bernie does have the official license for AmigaOS from Amiga Inc.  

Linux runs on PLENTY of x86 boxes - WHERE are ALL THOSE WONDERFUL Linux Games?

One has to consider the people’s mindset who supports Linux.  

Do you see a pattern here? Other OS' run on x86 - Developers code for Windows!

Name the processor that powers Nintendo Game Cube.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
What new hardware?

Items bought first hand.

You can play with the nice dongle, thats not industry standard

A dongle is a standard practice in high-end/priced applications in MS Windows world.

Before one can play modern commercial games (e.g. Splinter Cell, Unreal II, UT2003 and 'etc') one will be asked to insert the original CDs. This basically amounts to poor man’s dongle.

How blind are people not to see that A1 mobo is nothing special

Did this person said anything 'special' in his/her post?

Sometimes I wonder if some Amiga-people have even touched a computer above the 233mhz barrier, or seen the performance of even a MIDDLE-tech PC these days.

Is that relevant to the topic?  

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
Thats the best you came up with?

Is that relevant?  

I have boxed Wizard mouse which is 5-6 years old. When I go back home and open the box, is it new hardware?

What you are forgetting is the vendor and customer relationship. A product that is second-hand cannot be sold as “new”.

I didn't thougth so either.

You assume too much.

Judging by the spirit and message in posting, yes.

Quote it.

My personal thoughts in the end.

Sure.

You hate my avatar so much you're going to break my comments to 100 pieces (SNIP)

I have no feelings in regards to your avatar. You assume too much.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies

Dongle and copy protection are two different things. Those games have a copy protection (=assuming the player has original cd's in drive), it's not a "poor mans dongle".

You missed the main purpose of a dongle.

What is the main purpose of a dongle (e.g. Cubase SX)?
Answer:  Run a single authorised copy at a given session.

What is the purpose of a copy protected CDs (e.g. Suresafe embedded CDs)?
Answer:  Run a single authorised copy at a given session.

*Examples of games that use “full installation” but yet still require the original play disc are;
1. Splinter Cell,
2. Unreal 2
3. UT2003

It’s the right for any software company to protect their software investment. I don’t know why you are making a big fuss in regards to A1's dongle?

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
How'd you like if major motherboard manufacturers would include a dongle making it possible to use only Windows as operating system?

Wrong premise.  Your point of view is flawed since various flavours of Linux and the planned AmigaOS 4.0 will be available for the AmigaOne.  To claim that AmigaOne will only run AmigaOS4.0 is flawed.

Try again.

Btw, most of my clients asked for MS Windows thus your premise is again flawed. I don't why you are using MS Windows as a negative factor when it a strength for selling mainstream PCs.

Obscures companies such as www.locus.com.au is a multi-dollar company due to servicing X86 Windows(and to limited extent X86 Linux) markets.

I am well aware of why it was included,

How could you know "why it was included" since your premise is wrong?

but I am totally against it as the consumer pays the extra price for something as useless as a dongle in AmigaOne.

A dongle is useful for limiting their use within authorised scope. Not on some other hardware which doesn’t financially benefit its creator.  

There is practically NO PIRATES left in Amiga-scene..

Such claims doesn’t hold water when there are illegal copies of Pagestream 4 (cited as an example) going around the Internet. (Such topics are outside the scope of this forum and should be dealt within the proper channels.)  

Software companies has the right (balanced with consumer’s rights)  to take any necessary steps to protect it’s software investments.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies

Hooligan_DCS wrote:

For the price dongles they could have sent out those t-shirts.
I

T-shirts is Amiga Inc’s issue not Hyperion or Eyetech.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
Again, what I was trying to tell is that they are killing a fly with a shotgun, as in taking too big cautions for such little issue as pirated OS4 on something else than AmigaOne.

Such statement is subject to subjective point of view.  

Let's face it, if someone is David Copperfield-enough to make OS4 work on Pegasos, the same indivual is talented enough to bypass that dongle protection.

Let's face it, 'cracking' doesn’t stop software companies to include such protection. IF you don’t like the final cost then don’t buy the product.

The excuse of pirates making it too hard to do business is gone. The lack of userbase is the real reason.

That’s one leap of logic in regards to "lack of userbase" and issue of software protection.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
when AMD stock is at a low point and Apple's coffers are pretty well filled? IMO

The number of shares will be another factor btw...

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies

Dan wrote:
The DONGLE as you like to call it:
The bad thing is that this only benefits Eyetech not the users or Hyperion.

Did Hyperion said anything negative regarding the use of 'dongle'?

That said other motherboard manufacturers should have a way of including the dongle thing( i´m thinking elbox shark), competiton is good. I don´t want eyetech to become the next Micro$oft.

Eyetech is hardly Microsoft i.e. I recall Eyetech doesn't create the OS.  

I don´t want AmigaOS locked in with Eyetech/Teron, i want to be able to run it on anything thats possible PPC, x86,  StrongArm, anything.

Only IF more vendors will come and obtain the license to get the AmigaOS 4.0 for their motherboards then there would be other alternatives.

The licensing model that AmigaOS group seems to be employing is the PalmOS model. Note that Microsoft has entirely different model compared to PalmOS or AmigaOS 4.x.

Sadly I still belive more in AROS than in AmigaOS,

AROS is nice, but it doesn't run any legacy AmigaOS applications (without the use of UAE).

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
More like Apple and the evil Steve Jobs then,
killing the clones ( MacOS licensing companys like Daystar, Motorola, Power Computing) and pushing all innovative ideas into the ground.

Did Amiga Inc issue an edict to limit hardware vendors to One like Steve Job's edict?  

Oh yes it does, on 68k machines.

AROS/m68k-pp

Flavour: Native
Status: Partly working (in an emulator), incomplete driver support
Maintained: Yes

AROS/m68k-pp is the native port of AROS to the Palm line of handheld computers and compatibles ("pp" stands for "palm pilot", which was the name of the first handhelds of this line). This means that you might be able to take AROS with you in your pocket when travelling in the future...

This port is currently very raw. It does mostly work (running in an emulator, since nobody wants to risk trashing their expensive hardware just yet) but there is still a lot of work left. There is a graphics driver, but not any input ones. This port is not available for download at this time.

How does one claim AROS works with legacy AmigaOS applications when this port is not available for public download?

Secondly, my post is in the context of the main X86 AROS edition. 68k AROS port  is pretty pointless when there is a 68K/AmigaClassic version of AmigaOS.

Thirdly, AROS's goals/focus is somewhat different to AmigaOS 4.0  i.e. running AmigaOS legacy applications on non-68k based hardware while moving forward to native applications.

AmigaOS 4.0 don´t run 68k code on a PPC without the 68k JIT that is technical impossible.

I don't recall the planned release version of A1/AmigaOS 4.0 is separated from its 68k component.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies

No, but at the moment it limits the number of users/OSlicenses

IF we flip the scenario around in the POV of the OS’s creators; the protection itself is not the problem i.e. it’s the lack of vendors who are interested with AmigaOS 4.0.   Without a demonstrable OS product, this situation wouldn’t get better.

Offline Hammer

• Show all replies
I think most people are more or less tired with the Windows-systems anyway

Have you done a valid statistical test on that?

How could you say "I think most people are more or less tired with the Windows-systems anyway" when people buys X86/Windows to run their software investments (while having the security of future product path)?

Secondly, since there is plenty of X86/Windows base IT companies I don’t think they wouldn’t abandon their “bread and butter” cash cow.

Just think about it in regards to the economic terms.