Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alan Redhouse revealed the impressive future of AmigaOne!!!!! (from AmiGBG 2003)  (Read 13065 times)

Description:

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
Challenges: FUD

I don't know what Alan's talking about  :-D

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies

odin wrote:

Helgis75 wrote:

Very good news, really! The wait is finally over!!! :-)

No it's not! The OS these boards were built for still isn't here :-p.

Don't spoil his day and good spirit now ... let's forget the whole OS4 .. seems like it's not THAT important anyway. As long as we have lots of A1's out there seems to satisfy a lot of people.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
I agree about getting the A1 first wont matter too much as well be spending many weeks to months playing with our new hardware

What new hardware? A1 mobo is made of pretty much industry standard components. You can play with the nice dongle, thats not industry standard :-)

How blind are people not to see that A1 mobo is nothing special and OS4 will be the driving force. I couldn't care less if it ran on intel and on parts purchable from store next door.
Sometimes I wonder if some Amiga-people have even touched a computer above the 233mhz barrier, or seen the performance of even a MIDDLE-tech PC these days.
But hey, if playing with Linux makes you happy, what the heck. Go for it.

It's like I'd be wooing and wheeing over Pegasos 1 mobo. I already know it's outdated, I already know it will be slow in certain areas. I know I could have a far more superior machine with the same price. What I want to try is MOS, and thats for hobby. #### the hardware.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
@SlimJim

I am letting them have fun. I am just wondering.. can I wonder. I like wondering. Please?  :-)

But as I said, I am not excited about Pegasos1 mobo (hopefully get it this week), I want to try out MOS. The same goes for A1. Maybe I have tried way too many computers in past 20 years and become sceptical.. I don't know. It's hard to explain I quess.. but I am amazed after all these years that we have waited for a 'completely' new OS for Amiga, people go nuts about one lousy (overpriced) motherboard.

As for my hobby, so far it's been about the OS, not about the hardware. I hate Paula, I hate AGA, I hate the slow chipmem etc. In fact there is not much good in Amiga hardware at all that I'd say I love, but damn, I love the AmigaOS.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies

mikeymike wrote:
@ Helgis75
I don't care about what you might say.

Well I guess that's that then.  Oh no, apparently not.

Jealousy?  What's there to be jealous of?  To me that's not an Amiga until it runs AmigaOS.  To me it may as well be an x86 box with a Celeron in running Linux, aka.  "throroughly unremarkable".  Until OS4 is released.  

As far as "we don't need your negative comments", is your hope that desperate that it can't take a little bit of balloon popping from the reality squad?

Be as hopeful as you like, I don't mind that in the slightest.  However, in a public forum, please try to be a bit more objective and realistic in your expression.  If I maintained anywhere near the amount of optimism and happy-happy-joy-joy over every little piece of news and non-news regarding Amiga as you do, and expressed that to my [non Amiga fan] friends, they would have probably killed me by now!  Even now I have to keep my trap shut because in reality, as far as solid new product offerings go, I have nothing to talk about!

We have pretty much the same thoughts. Are we long lost brothers?  ;-)
Thats what I have been trying to cry out loud for ages: A1 is nothing but overpriced  Linux box until OS4 is running on it. And thats a fact no-one can change, not even Mr.Helgis.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies

anarchic_teapot wrote:
"Overpriced" and "relatively expensive" (because it's still in low-volume production) are two totally different concepts.

You are apparently trying to get people to think that somebody is making an excessive profit out of the sale of A1 mobos.

This is totally untrue.

First of all I think it's OVERpriced, not relatively expensive. Second, you think  Eyetech's in this for Pro Bono? I don't think so.
But of course, they are entitled to get profit, how else could they survive? Still it's a very expensive piece of hardware. Very.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
Items bought first hand.

Thats the best you came up with? I have boxed Wizard mouse which is 5-6 years old. When I go back home and open the box, is it new hardware? I didn't thougth so either.

Dongle and copy protection are two different things. Those games have a copy protection (=assuming the player has original cd's in drive), it's not a "poor mans dongle".

Did this person said anything 'special' in his/her post?

Judging by the spirit and message in posting, yes.

Sometimes I wonder if some Amiga-people have even touched a computer above the 233mhz barrier, or seen the performance of even a MIDDLE-tech PC these days.

Is that relevant to the topic?  

My personal thoughts in the end. You hate my avatar so much you're going to break my comments to 100 pieces and comment them word by word?

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
What a fruitfull conversation. Better end it here.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
It’s the right for any software company to protect their software investment. I don’t know why you are making a big fuss in regards to A1's dongle?

I mentioned dongle on ONE line. Fuss?
I don't know many manufacturers whome have done the same as Eyetech. But, for the sake of continuum... let's look it at this way:
How'd you like if major motherboard manufacturers would include a dongle making it possible to use only Windows as operating system? I am well aware of why it was included, but I am totally against it as the consumer pays the extra price for something as useless as a dongle in AmigaOne.
There is practically NO PIRATES left in Amiga-scene.. only a handful whome like chatting on efnet instead of cracking software.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
All I was giving was an example. Maybe you did not understand that  inside your little head. OS4 for Pegasos, like who in earth was going to do it? Nearly impossible.

And what's this piracy you're talking about? Piracy is almost non-existent on Amiga platform. Do I have to bend it out of a wire? For the price dongles they could have sent out those t-shirts.
I am not against the dongles principle, what it should do. I am against the fact that I will be the one paying for it for no reason what so ever.

Also, how are Genesi any better? Where's the A1 version of MorphOS? Since the Pegasos doesn't have a dongle I should be able to freely download MOS for my AmigaOne, no?

You will be able to download a free MOS for PowerUp cards anyway. MOS for A1? Well why not.. maybe later.

Special thanks for being so polite.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
@Hammer

Again, what I was trying to tell is that they are killing a fly with a shotgun, as in taking too big cautions for such little issue as pirated OS4 on something else than AmigaOne.
Let's face it, if someone is David Copperfield-enough to make OS4 work on Pegasos, the same indivual is talented enough to bypass that dongle protection.
But (lets) forget the dongle already, the thread wasn't about it at all.

The excuse of pirates making it too hard to do business  is gone. The lack of userbase is the real reason. What we have mostly left in Amiga community are probably not the most eager ones to pirate everything they get hands on. Trust me, as an ex-pirate group member.

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show all replies
The good old saying "Time is money" is more to the point than never before.