Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS noob. School me!  (Read 27047 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: MorphOS noob. School me!
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 26, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
Quote from: KimmoK;773935
I think previously PackChrysalis broke something on my MosBook setup as OWB started to fail with web sites secure login. Now after MOS update to 3.7 the system does not boot every time (sometimes ends up in grey screen). So, perhaps I should do clean start.

(just a little painfull to backup the data with USB1.0 speed of my old PowerBook HW. Especially when the USB is not rock solid either ((or perhaps my USB issues are only with Android devices where transfers hang with multiple files)))

You could backup to other partition (Work: for example) and manually format the System partition and then do new install with manual partitioning option, which shouldn't affect to that Work: etc because you already have correct partitions and no need to touch them. I'm pretty sure it did work that way, but I can test again before you start to blame me if I didn't remember it right ;)

Quote from: JJ;773944
What is not supported on powerbook.  I am running on powerbook and have not found anything that is not supported or does not work.  Sounds like you either have a bad install or faulty hardware ?

Some older Powerbooks are missing audio.. those titanium models which weren't earlier supported at all, but now they are enabled even though not all features do work. If you read careful the hardware compatibility page, Powerbooks' on-board audio isn't told to be supported at all, so basically it's just bonus that it works on aluminium ones ;) Anyway that's why you are forced to test the machine before you can register so that you know what you get. At least KimmoK knew that audio doesn't work on his Powerbook before paying the registration, but of course wouldn't hurt to have that kind of things more clearly said on hw page.

Quote from: Heiroglyph;773959
I wasn't a fan of that shortcut bar at the bottom, but would like something for easy access to commonly used apps. That one just didn't react in a way that I found comfortable, even after changing some settings.

Do you mean "shortcut bar" from Chrysalis? Anyway, you have Panels in Ambient settings and you can configure your own bars with those.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:32:57 PM by pVC »
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 05:36:53 PM »

Do you mean "shortcut bar" from Chrysalis? Anyway, you have Panels in Ambient settings and you can configure your own bars with those.

I'm not sure what to call it, but Chrysalis added a bar at the bottom with shortcuts on it.

I didn't like it visible full time, so I tried various settings for zipping out from the side.

It just never felt correct, like it waited too long or was too picky about where the mouse had to be in order to open it.

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
Doesn't matter if it's Chrysalis or Ambient panels: I prefer menus :) It's a habit from my MagicMenu using days.

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;773969
Doesn't matter if it's Chrysalis or Ambient panels: I prefer menus :) It's a habit from my MagicMenu using days.

I just need quick access without them covering up maximized windows. It doesn't matter where they come from.

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2014, 11:41:06 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;773959
Yeah, no pun intended, huh? :lol:

Is there any benefit to picking up something like CubicIDE or is that even the best option?

I'm planning to write things for both MorphOS and Amiga 68k if that matters and I prefer vbcc over gcc where possible.

I think Scribble from the SDK is at least on par with Cubic for writing C/C++. Cubic is very customizable though and has many nice features, too. But it also has some odd things (it's not MUI, uses a non ASL-File requester) and actually using all the configuration options is quite some work. Nevertheless I still like Cubic and use it pretty much. But I wouldn't miss it much if wiped out from my hdd since Scribble got released (bought Cubic ages ago when there was no MorphOS included editor), hence am using it more out of a habbit. Also I am not doing that much in C++ but more with Hollywood and for that Cubic has a brilliant plug in which Scribble hasn't.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:47:17 PM by zylesea »

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 06:41:18 AM »
Just a strange question but I always wondered by morphos, aros and os4 never looked into a tsr or driver for each classic amiga chip.

These drivers would or could emulate the classic sound and video chips and so on and redirect things to the main drivers. In this way software that bangs the classic hardware would work...

Always seem strange to me to need uae or whatever on these platforms. I can run that on windows...

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2014, 08:25:11 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;773992
I think Scribble from the SDK is at least on par with Cubic for writing C/C++. Cubic is very customizable though and has many nice features, too. But it also has some odd things (it's not MUI, uses a non ASL-File requester) and actually using all the configuration options is quite some work. Nevertheless I still like Cubic and use it pretty much. But I wouldn't miss it much if wiped out from my hdd since Scribble got released (bought Cubic ages ago when there was no MorphOS included editor), hence am using it more out of a habbit. Also I am not doing that much in C++ but more with Hollywood and for that Cubic has a brilliant plug in which Scribble hasn't.

Thanks for the input on Cubic IDE.

One of my ideas originally was to make a scintilla based code editor, then I found Scribble.

It's not bad a all.  The style looks a bit like a toy, but functionally it's not bad at all.

I've never had a good experience installing Cubic either. It always has a problem on UAE for me and today I tried the demo on MorphOS and it still had problems with the SDK. (can't remember what, I just decided it wasn't worth fixing)

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;774002
Just a strange question but I always wondered by morphos, aros and os4 never looked into a tsr or driver for each classic amiga chip.

These drivers would or could emulate the classic sound and video chips and so on and redirect things to the main drivers. In this way software that bangs the classic hardware would work...

Always seem strange to me to need uae or whatever on these platforms. I can run that on windows...

I think that Puhderbaer is a small subset of this. It intercepts Paula accesses and redirects them to AHI.  It's CPU intensive for one thing and that's just audio.

I think the bigger reason they don't is that they are of the mindset that OS legal applications are fine because they are extending the OS as Commodore would have.

If you try to be almost an emulator, you have a lot of unhappy people when it doesn't work. It's safer to not be an emulator and be good at what you do focus on.

I don't think there is a technical reason you couldn't do it, but it could get messy and complicated real fast.

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »
One of powerful Scribble features is code indexing, available for C and C++. Scribble analyses the project code with the "ctags" tool, then provides calltips and autocompletion for functions and structures, not only for the system API, but for the project itself. While it is an obvious feature of professional IDEs, Cubic IDE lacks it, as far as I know.

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
Quote from: Krashan;774082
One of powerful Scribble features is code indexing, available for C and C++. Scribble analyses the project code with the "ctags" tool, then provides calltips and autocompletion for functions and structures, not only for the system API, but for the project itself. While it is an obvious feature of professional IDEs, Cubic IDE lacks it, as far as I know.

So far I'm pretty impressed with scribble.

I'm not sure how well it will work for larger projects with multiple makefiles, but individually it's much better than expected.

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »
Ok, I give up, where is the 12 hour, AM/PM setting on the clock?

That's starting to bug me.

Offline Nicho

• Show only replies by Nicho
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774132
Ok, I give up, where is the 12 hour, AM/PM setting on the clock?

If you mean the clock in the screenbar, you can change the format by right clicking on the screen depth gadget->settings->clock

Offline Nicho

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2014, 11:33:47 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774120
So far I'm pretty impressed with scribble.

I'm not sure how well it will work for larger projects with multiple makefiles, but individually it's much better than expected.

Thanks. The project functionality should work fine for more complex makefiles as well but it obviously depends on you having makefiles in the first place :-). For some users it would obviously be good to provide an alternative of fully integrated project management like in IDEs on other platforms but it's not something I have a lot of motivation to do (I wouldn't use it myself basically).

By the way, the big feature for the next version (besided loads of smaller things here and there) will be extensive support for Lua scripts and automatic script recording.

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 11:34:32 PM »
Quote from: Nicho;774140
If you mean the clock in the screenbar, you can change the format by right clicking on the screen depth gadget->settings->clock

Holy crap, who right clicks on a depth gadget?

Thanks!

Offline Nicho

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
Quote from: Heiroglyph;774142
Holy crap, who right clicks on a depth gadget?

Thanks!

Maybe not so intuitive indeed but on MorpOS, it's used in several contexts. Try to do that on on the of the depth gadgets of a window. Those thumbnails are quite useful!

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2014, 04:01:19 AM »
Quote from: Nicho;774141
Thanks. The project functionality should work fine for more complex makefiles as well but it obviously depends on you having makefiles in the first place :-). For some users it would obviously be good to provide an alternative of fully integrated project management like in IDEs on other platforms but it's not something I have a lot of motivation to do (I wouldn't use it myself basically).

By the way, the big feature for the next version (besided loads of smaller things here and there) will be extensive support for Lua scripts and automatic script recording.

I guess I was writing my reply when you wrote this, I just noticed it.

The longer I use it, the more I appreciate all the little touches.  Great work.