Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS noob. School me!  (Read 27038 times)

Description:

Offline HeiroglyphTopic starter

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS noob. School me!
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 27, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;774002
Just a strange question but I always wondered by morphos, aros and os4 never looked into a tsr or driver for each classic amiga chip.

These drivers would or could emulate the classic sound and video chips and so on and redirect things to the main drivers. In this way software that bangs the classic hardware would work...

Always seem strange to me to need uae or whatever on these platforms. I can run that on windows...

I think that Puhderbaer is a small subset of this. It intercepts Paula accesses and redirects them to AHI.  It's CPU intensive for one thing and that's just audio.

I think the bigger reason they don't is that they are of the mindset that OS legal applications are fine because they are extending the OS as Commodore would have.

If you try to be almost an emulator, you have a lot of unhappy people when it doesn't work. It's safer to not be an emulator and be good at what you do focus on.

I don't think there is a technical reason you couldn't do it, but it could get messy and complicated real fast.

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
Quote from: Krashan;774082
One of powerful Scribble features is code indexing, available for C and C++. Scribble analyses the project code with the "ctags" tool, then provides calltips and autocompletion for functions and structures, not only for the system API, but for the project itself. While it is an obvious feature of professional IDEs, Cubic IDE lacks it, as far as I know.

So far I'm pretty impressed with scribble.

I'm not sure how well it will work for larger projects with multiple makefiles, but individually it's much better than expected.

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »
Ok, I give up, where is the 12 hour, AM/PM setting on the clock?

That's starting to bug me.

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 11:34:32 PM »
Quote from: Nicho;774140
If you mean the clock in the screenbar, you can change the format by right clicking on the screen depth gadget->settings->clock

Holy crap, who right clicks on a depth gadget?

Thanks!

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 04:01:19 AM »
Quote from: Nicho;774141
Thanks. The project functionality should work fine for more complex makefiles as well but it obviously depends on you having makefiles in the first place :-). For some users it would obviously be good to provide an alternative of fully integrated project management like in IDEs on other platforms but it's not something I have a lot of motivation to do (I wouldn't use it myself basically).

By the way, the big feature for the next version (besided loads of smaller things here and there) will be extensive support for Lua scripts and automatic script recording.

I guess I was writing my reply when you wrote this, I just noticed it.

The longer I use it, the more I appreciate all the little touches.  Great work.

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;774554
I hope the original poster does not mind if I ask a question.
I am thinking of getting a G4/G5 for MorphOS.
What are your recomendations?

I don't mind at all.

This is my first MorphOS machine, so I don't have a point of reference to help much though.

I got an air cooled G5 Power Mac, but I've heard that the cooling systems on the water cooled faster models either prematurely fails by leaking or the CPUs just plain burn out if it doesn't.

I can't say mine feels as fast as I'd like it to be though. Web browsing in OWB for example could use some more oomph. It's sluggish, but still far better than Linux on the same hardware. Same for playing videos.

I've done an install of Debian and it really puts a nail in the coffin of "PPC is faster at the same clock speed". Maybe on math, but not for average desktop use. Debian on my old Athlon XP 2400 (2.0GHz) single core is more responsive than this Mac dual 2.0GHz , even with a slightly slower ATI video card.