Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility  (Read 5253 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
I have only tried Photogenics 5 and it seems to work just fine. All effects are drawn pretty much without any lag when you draw around.

I think older programs which try to force on AGA screen won't work that well. I think Vista is one of them and it can be difficult to get it run. I remember that some people have got Lightwave to run, but did it need to be configured some external renderer/screen or something to avoid it opening render result to AGA screen or so... or maybe some screen promotion program is needed. I think it was same on real Amiga with gfx card too.

I'd guess Cinema4D would work pretty fine as it's a bit newer program and was working well on gfx card equipped classic Amigas too. I might dig it out some time and try...

Anyway, I wouldn't dare to promise that all programs work or don't need some tuning, but newer the program is, it's more likely to work without hiccups. Anyway, all programs run way faster than on any real Amiga.

Other similar programs which at least do work: FXPaint2, ArtEffect 4, ImageFX, Elastic/Fantastic Dreams, TVPaint, Real3D...

Accodring to that page http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/ Lightwave and Cinema4D do work too.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

Re: Questions about MorphOS and 68k compatibility
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:43 AM »
Quote from: amiman99;769878
Cool!

How does the 68k software install work? Do I decompress the archive and double click Install?

I actually haven't tried to use installers at all, but copying from your existing classic Amiga will work quite fine. I've just copied the wanted dirs from my Amiga backup to MorphOS (and looked if those programs have any assigns in user-startup etc).

Do I need 3.1 KS ROM or Workbench disks like AROS?

No. AROS runs 68k software under UAE, while MorphOS runs them transparently without any external emulator. MorphOS has Amiga compatible API, integrated 68k cpu emulation, and compatible system files etc. Even old Amiga libraries, devices, commands etc do work directly under MorphOS if you need them. Just copy them to SYS:Libs/ etc. Also 68k programs' AREXX ports do work under MorphOS opposite to AROS implementation where emulator cuts them out.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.