Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Public release of MorphOS 3.2  (Read 28826 times)

Description:

Offline nicholas

Re: Public release of MorphOS 3.2
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;736107
MorphOS 3.2 is out. And the update is simply massive!
Support for G5s, more Powerbooks, g4 ibooks and R300 3D-support are highlights at the hardware side, a new netstack (much faster!) and many, many more improvements, additions are part of this free update.

Read the release notes: http://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.2

Woohoo!  Downloaderising now.

Thank you very much MOS-Team, truly the best coders in the Amiga scene by far! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:04 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;736113
IMPORTANT:

The current iso file has a corrupted boot.img that fails on Mac computers. Don't burn the iso unless you want to install to Pegasos or Efika. Wait for a fixed iso (should be released very soon) for Mac computers..

So I shouldn't just copy the files from the iso image to MOSSYS: then?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;736120
nicholas:

No without the 3.2 boot.img (i.e. with teh 3.1 boot.img) MorphOS 3.2 will not work properly. Wait for the fix.

I guess the boot.img is just wrongly zipped or something like that, hence I expect the fixed iso really soon (tonight or tomorrow).

OK thanks.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;736122
Command back - I was messing with the wrong boot.img.
_Update_ process on macs is easy:
Copy boot.img from the CD's drawer Mac_ppc32 to your boot: partition (mount it if necessay) by hand, then boot from teh CD and proceed with teh installation. That way worked fine for me, but be careful when messing with teh boot: partition, you can render your system easily to non booting.

I just saw a comment on morphzone saying the same thing, thanks anyway. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:02:00 AM »

I think the figures speak for themselves here! ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:56:06 AM »
I wish Hyperion would port OS4 to Macs too then people could compare the two side by side so to speak.

They seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »
Now I have to test the new Netstack to see if I can reach the 4 Megabytes per second downloads I get under Linux on my Macbook Pro.

I notice there is no bcm4138.device for the Airport adapter in my PowerBook though. :(

Offline nicholas

Re: Public release of MorphOS 3.2 [ISO-problem solved!]
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 03:12:24 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;736142
Hell, yeah!!  I've been wanting to get MorphOS on an aluminum PowerBook I picked up a while back.  Can't wait to give it a whirl.  Once wireless is working I'll be REALLY rockin'!

I use one of these for now.  Once the Airport adapter is supported I'll just use it on my A3000.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251234223296?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Offline nicholas

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
Quote from: hbarcellos;736193
Someone can confirm me if this card works with my Powerbook:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-476106913-adaptador-wireless-108mbps-placa-pcmcia-d-link-dwl-g650-_JM

If this is a rev B or C then it might work with the atheros5000.device driver.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
Quote from: Duce;736476
Supports the built in wifi on all the compatible laptops now, I assume?

No, that needs a bcm4138.device to be written.

I'm using a Netgear WG511T PCCard for now and it works very well.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:34:43 PM »
Quote from: Duce;736494
Thanks for the reply, Nicholas.  Any eta on that particular device driver?

Had a ppc mac laptop sitting here for ages, but it's essentially a doorstop to me without the inbuilt wifi working.  I've tried an add on card.  Wifi works fine with that obviously, but battery life falls right apart.  It's not an option on a portable machine to me as I have very limited access to mains power on portable machines.

I get at least 2 hrs battery life under heavy use (Compiling C, surfing tbe net, reading PDFs etc) with the PCCard and when I used an Ethernet WiFi dongle I got about the same. With light use I get more.

Not sure when the Broadcom driver will be released, maybe with 3.3?

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »
Quote from: mykrowyre;736508
How do I upgrade my 3.1  mac mini to 3.2?  I can't seem to be able to burn an iso from MorphoOs, I can't boot from a thumb drive because the mac won't boot from a USB device which is not OSX...

Ideas?

Download the 3.2 iso to your DH1: partition.
Boot the Mac from your old 3.1/3.0 CD.
Rename DH1:MorphOS to DH1:MorphOS_3.1
Rename DH0:boot.img to DH0:boot.img_3.1
Double click the morphos-3.2.iso you saved to DH1:
Drag the MorphOS folder to DH1:
Double click the macppc32 folder and drag boot.img to DH0:
Eject CD.
Reboot
Profit! :)

ps To burn an iso from MorphOS you just need to right click the .iso file and click Burn.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:50:34 PM by nicholas »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 04:15:40 AM »
Quote from: billt;736530
Again with the left or right clicking on a Mac. Does MOS follow the ctrl-click for right-click tradition? or is there something different in MOS?

Two finger tap on the track pad for right click, my Apple Magic Mouse has 5 buttons, I don't think Apple have sold mice with only one button for about 7 or 8 years at least.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;736913
The raspberry pi is underwhelming weak. It's appeal is the low price while able to replay full hd. A driver for the gfx accelerator for MorphOS would be rather unrealistic to expect. What would remain is a weak small board with few connectors.
A mac mini is not much more expensive (if you count in PSU, case, MSD), but way more powerful.
Next target: x64!

Perhaps x32 would be an easier target?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X32_ABI