Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS ahead of AROS?  (Read 28055 times)

Description:

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS ahead of AROS?
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
Quote from: Mazze;686743
Hi,

I've read several times from the blue smurf propaganda department that MorphOS is so way ahead of AROS. Care to elaborate?

Hi,

Well the only thing I can say since I have never used MorphOS is that any other type of OS used on a MAC has to be better, especially if it emulates Amiga OS as a fake copy.

I have used AROS on some of my PC's and never could get it to do anything important, so I took it off, as far of MorphOS, I have never used it so really don't know.

As far as Blue smurf propaganda, this is the first time I have heard of that, the old original smerf says if catch this blue smurf, he will be arrested and thrown in jail for copying a smerf. This is completely outrageous.

One thing AROS has over MorphOS is that sooner or later those old PPC Macs are going to die, disappear or run out, then all that programming no matter how good it was will be for naught.

AROS on the other hand if it continues to be programmed on MODERN DAY COMPUTERS WITH INTEL OR AMD CHIPS will survive and surpass the people who are using old outdated PPC Macs. Face it Apple (who all you Apple fan boys say is so good) got rid of the old PPC chips years ago and went to dual core Intel chips ( a semi modern but outdated chip today).

So my unbiased opinion is AROS wins in the long run by an Intel chip.

As good as MorphOS?   don't know, only the future will tell, but I don't think I will live that long to see it as fast as everyone is programming these two OS's.

I will use Linux as my main OS, and Windows to run games (anyone who trusts windows for anything else are fools). I can afford to lose my games (although it ticks me off) and reload them, but to lose my data like music, pictures, home movies, tax reports etc. would really hurt.

So can your OS keep data?

I wrote this before reading takemehomegrandma's report, and I totally agree with her, since I said basically the same thing as she did.

smerf
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:56:16 PM by smerf »
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:39:37 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;687096
Nice nice nice!!!
What's your bus speed?

Hi,

My bus speed is a little bit slower than an 18 wheel truck traveling on the interstates, this is usually around 70 mph.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:20:21 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;687174
Aros runs on all x86 CPUs from Pentium 3 to i7 PCs but MOS will not run on a G5 Mac so if we compare progress of Aros Intel i7 vs Powermac G5 Mos config clearly the truth is Mos is still on a tiny scale compared to Aros's ambitious PC  configurations supported. When MOS is running on every Mac desktop and laptop from G3 to G5 and Intel x86 Macs let me know :roflmao:

For me the issue is the PPC requirement, Commodore never made a PPC Amiga, Native OS for PPC or even A4000 upgrade card so Mos + UAE running on smelly old 90s Macs from a dumpster is no more "Amiga" than Aros + WinUAE running on a brand new dodgy brand of PC.

Mos is a hobby OS which costs more than Win7 and needs the inferior [to WinUAE] UAE emulator to run 90% of Amiga software.

Each to their own, but OS4/Mos are a waste of money IMO (just like Clownto's Amiga [shaft you] Forever is) :)

Hi,

@digiman,

You made some good points here. Those old rotten apple cores sure do smell, and  your right the MorphOS is no more Amiga than a Mac is Amiga or a PC is an Amiga. The only thing I can say though is that Cloanto's Amiga forever (which is no more Amiga than a PC computer) emulates the Amiga pretty accurate today. I use it all the time when I want to use Amiga programs. This saves wear and tear on my Amiga's.

I just like all these people who sing the praises of MorphOS and AROS and make fun of what CUSA is doing (which I don't like either, but believe it or not their name is showing up in PC type mags for what they are doing and PC people are liking it, can you say that about the other two contenders?) but CUSA is getting all the attention by other people, while real Amiga people are still living with and clammering about OLD PPC's.

OK, lets get something straight, I am a real Amiga person, I use my Amiga's everyday and use them. I am not a fake Amiga person who sold their old silicon and then chime in that I use "MorphOS Amiga done right" right where, how and why, prove it. Run Pen Pal, Wadsworth, Final Copy, DPaint, etc. Show me a new browser that can keep up with todays sites so you can surf the web, play mp3's, watch videos and play movies. I have a hard time loading up MorphOS (I don't and won't buy old used up Mac silicon, for that matter I won't buy new Mac silicon)

I am an Amiga person, if I wanted a Mac, I would be using a Mac. If I wanted a PC, I am using a PC, why, because PC's have the best games right now, the best graphics, the fastest processors and GPU's.

So who cares if MorphOS leads AROS, do they really, lets talk 5 years up the road, when the G4 Mac silicon starts to disappear. Pfffffft!!!!

At least AROS who is behind right now has the chance to continue on, why because they see some of the future, NEW USABLE CPU'S AND GRAPHICS PROCESSOR UNITS, the PPC boys are still living in the past, just like me using the old Amiga.

Seems like a lot of brains and programming power going to waste, being used for a losing cause.

smerf

MorphOS leads today, how about the future.

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »
Hi,

Just got done checking on the G5 Macs, didn't know that they go up to 2.7 ghz on a ppc chip. Also noted that they have dual core, and quad core PPC chips. OK so the MorphOS team is trying to duplicate what WinUAE had done years ago. Make a good emulator for a Mac machine. I am for that. It is about time someone has tried to improve old Mac hardware.

My question is will they try to do the newer Intel run apple products?

I mean if apple abandoned the PPC chips years ago will the MorphOS team do the same in the future?

I mean the newer Intel machines need improvement to. Don't you think so?

Just loaded up AROS on my old Toshiba laptop. Doesn't see the USB wifi thumb drive that I am using. Didn't really expect it to, since they are also about 10 years behind on modern day computers, but for what they have it runs pretty good. I mean I watched the lines demo running in 4 seperate windows, but this was as far as it went because it was pretty late last night, didn't see anything usable as of yet.

The thing I like though is that it does run on PC gear, and there is lots and lots and lots of that old stuff laying around and most of it you can get for free if you find someone throwing the old junk out.

Now a sad note
Our town had a turn in old electronics day last week, I say plenty of g4 and g5 mac's being thrown in the piles (smile) but there in one pile I saw a couple of Amiga's, C64's, commodore monitors etc. Tried to talk to a person about buying that pile, but he said he couldn't sell, the people turned this stuff over to the city for destruction and by the law the city had to destroy them. So these products are going to Pittsburgh were their usable materials will be recycled and reused in newer junk. They took over 30 truck loads of old electronic equipment there. I wonder how many Amiga's where on those trucks.

smerf

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »
Hi,

"Pretty much. And since I don't stream content over my home network the difference is negligible. "

Probably because that old G4 can't handle steaming, you need a fast processor that runs over 1.6 ghz to get proper streaming done right (at least in the PC world).

OK I stirred to poop really good on this one, gotta run

smerf
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:27:09 PM by smerf »

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
Hi,

@Iggy,

Thats not what I meant, and you know it.

You have a nice system there, but need to upgrade that video card. I am using a 5770 MSI radeon card in my 6 core AMD machine. They are inexpensive and run real well, I also have a 5750 in my quad core Intel Q6600 (old silicon) computer.

Probably will upgrade next year, if AMD brings out something better. Don't like buying Intel products (hate them just a little bit less than Macs).

On a high note though, I am interested though in a G5 Mac, 2.7 ghz. You know if MorphOS will run on it?

OK, curiosity caught the old dog, I may suffer through touching a Mac just to see if there is any progress made since I last threw up.

smerf

Offline smerf

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;687327
1.61? So we're no longer dealing with a beta product and all libraries are now complete?

Hi,

My software is better than your software, my software is better than yours, my software is so much better, and if you don't believe it I will give you all youtube tours.

smerf LOL

Where is this all taking us. Wish they would bring CPM back!!!