Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS ahead of AROS?  (Read 28024 times)

Description:

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
Re: MorphOS ahead of AROS?
« Reply #269 from previous page: April 09, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;687679
Especially as he is the only person not using flash memory or DVDr to play the films like everyone else does :lol:

your time must not be worth much. ;)
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;687710
your time must not be worth much. ;)

Strange also that everyone I know who has a PS3 (including myself, before its inadequacies pi55ed me off to the point I sold it) uses PS3mediaserver. Far easier (and quicker for those whose time is precious) to set up.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;687681
Funny, right before checking back on this thread I was playing back a ripped copy of a Godzilla movie (don't worry, I actually own a DVD of it).

I don't use DRDrs too much.

BTW - Its scary how much old programs like DVDdecrypter still work on.

Godzilla rules!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
Quote from: Boot_WB;687728
Strange also that everyone I know who has a PS3 (including myself, before its inadequacies pi55ed me off to the point I sold it) uses PS3mediaserver. Far easier (and quicker for those whose time is precious) to set up.

Lol if we want to talk about easiest then the latest Buffalo NAS' come with DLNA servers.   However Since my setup includes Tvtuners which are network based I don't have a standard setup and I will admit that.  However my point still stands.   I was not able to do what I needed with Mplayer.  Which was my main point. :)

Offline MazzeTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mazze
    • http://mazze-online.de
« Reply #273 on: April 10, 2012, 08:26:57 AM »
Last Sunday I watched "Avatar". Big blue smurfs which followed some cult. SCNR

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:02 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;687736
Lol if we want to talk about easiest then the latest Buffalo NAS' come with DLNA servers.

Synology have had that in their DiskStations like forever (along with *tons* of other features, I can really recommend one of their DiskStation... ;))
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;687879
Synology have had that in their DiskStations like forever (along with *tons* of other features, I can really recommend one of their DiskStation... ;))

I like the cloud apps.  They have a torrent client?

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #276 on: April 10, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #277 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
Quote from: Terminills;687887
I like the cloud apps.  They have a torrent client?

Yes! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Jupp3

• Show only replies by Jupp3
    • http://jupp3.amigafin.org
« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;687480
Like I said PPC iMO is 90s CPU design so OS4/MOS are stuck unless an IBM Xenon PPC motherboard and AOS/MOS version comes out.

Just curious. Are you an X86 fan (1978's design), a 680x0 fan (1979's design) or an ARM fan (1983's design) or what?

I don't claim that X86 (or ARM) didn't have many advantages over PPC, but surely "recentness of the design they are based on" isn't among them :hammer:

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »
Which one allows you to encode 1080p/50 video and burn it to BD?

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
Quote from: Jupp3;687904
Just curious. Are you an X86 fan (1978's design), a 680x0 fan (1979's design) or an ARM fan (1983's design) or what?

I don't claim that X86 (or ARM) didn't have many advantages over PPC, but surely "recentness of the design they are based on" isn't among them :hammer:

:hammer: is exactly what the i7 does even to IBM's Xenon PPC derived CPU, the fastest possible remotely PPC derived CPU suitable for hosting an OS.

The first Intel CPU I had any respect for was Centrino Pentium M, Arm was similar to 2:1 advantage per mhz of 68030 in 1987, actually 030 was pretty lame 25mhz 020 and 030 give same MIPS more or less. Point is not only does the i7 wipe the floor with even Xenon let alone G5/G4 but most expensive i7 is cheaper too than the cheapest G4 based SAM board.

Framerates on my games/movies and speed of encoding my own videos are what concern me not emotionally attached to the OS/brand of manufacturer. I hate Windows/Linux AND OOS X equally. I use the most competitively priced hardware with the OS with largest library of apps available.I7 WINTEL. Not the same as when I loved using my Amiga 1000.

Arm is low power netbook/tablet level CPU so why waste money porting OS4 to something that computationally restricts performance. If that's your cup of tea then use AMD Zacate CPU. I suspect you are someone who can't separate x86 (ic 64bit) and Microsoft Windows computer. Same top end CPU and GPU are found in Macs too ;)

It's all about being the fastest and still cheapest price per MIP etc.

Offline Rodomoc

• Show only replies by Rodomoc
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:05 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;687938
....It's all about being the fastest and still cheapest price per MIP etc.

x86 is the best bang for the $ + most widely available hardware crap. Port it all over to this then. Why re-invent hardware when you can ride for free? Morph currently making good use of old Apple stuff. I say good for now with this strategy. Riding for free! But...the future will have to be something else obviously. Screw ARM and the horse it rode in on regarding a desktop hardware architecture. So back to the x86 possibility. Makes sense. MorphOS team various comments seems to indicate a future shift in this direction. I say, 'good !'

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:40 PM »
Quote from: Rodomoc;687940
x86 is the best bang for the $ + most widely available hardware crap. Port it all over to this then. Why re-invent hardware when you can ride for free? Morph currently making good use of old Apple stuff. I say good for now with this strategy. Riding for free! But...the future will have to be something else obviously. Screw ARM and the horse it rode in on regarding a desktop hardware architecture. So back to the x86 possibility. Makes sense. MorphOS team various comments seems to indicate a future shift in this direction. I say, 'good !'

Hard to say what the shift will be, but you guys could be right on track.

However, currently we are about to receive v3.0 and v3.1 has been announced. So the PPC track is still being followed.
I'm running v2.7 on a 1.42MHz G4 Powermac and it runs quite well.
My total investment is quite low (a fraction of what I've spent on my X86 system) and my Powermac runs circles around hardware like the stuff used on Acube motherboards.

I wouldn't count out the possibility of G5 support before an ISA shift. We have a far amount of native PPC software.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2012, 12:13:08 AM »
I bet I never spent a penny more on my TWO Athlon64 3800+ PC systems than anyone's MOS Mac purchase ;) They were getting tossed out. I have ended up with 6 PCs now and all can run Vista/7 very well if I make them 2gb RAM.

I agree if all you want to do is run MS Office/surf/email/mp3/non HD AVI a 1.2ghz P3 laptop level power with even 256mb and XP SP2 is enough. Trouble is for such slow hardware nobody would buy new unless as a tablet/netbook. Even 7cm x 7cm Micro ATX/Mini ITX home theatre PC builds with i3 2100k can do 1080p 5.1DTS Blu-ray decoding....and i3 is the slowest x86 from Intel (AMD E-450 18w low power APU may be faster)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;687327
1.61? So we're no longer dealing with a beta product and all libraries are now complete?

Hi,

My software is better than your software, my software is better than yours, my software is so much better, and if you don't believe it I will give you all youtube tours.

smerf LOL

Where is this all taking us. Wish they would bring CPM back!!!
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better