Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS ahead of AROS?  (Read 28091 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: MorphOS ahead of AROS?
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
Janus UAE is a fork of E-UAE and I have seen that installed on Mac. I think there is a misunderstanding. You do not mix f.e. X86 and 68k libs but you have a complete 68k install (the system libs are 68k versions from Aros). So there is no danger to destroy something by overwriting X86 (or PPC) system libs.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686763
"and in fact if I install 68k software using Installer will it install files over AROS native files?" I do not understand. For software it is feeling like a normal 68k environment and it is no problem to install 68k software there. I do not know the 68k integration in Icaros but when it is similar to WinUAE then you work in your own environment and not mixing it with the X86 outside world.

To my understanding I could run (almost) any 68k software from AROS desktop just by doubleclicking on its icon. I dont care what executes the software in the background as long as it feels like native one sharing clipboard, screens, whatever.

You cannot destroy Windows by installing amiga-software. All other concepts would be extremely dangerous. You cannot mix X86 and 68k libs.

On Amithlon you can ;)

@tmhgm

They are UAE emulation boxes. On the other hand as long as emulation boxes are hidden under the hood it doesnt matter how it is implemented.

But indeed it is not seamless and transparent like it is in MOS/OS4. To AROS users 68k support is running 68k software directly from Wanderer, to OS4/MOS user 68k support is installing 68k components as part of your system.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:44:50 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 01:45:11 PM »
But that propably only works because you have PPC. I do not think that you can do the same with ARM or X86.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
yes that is what I meant. It is a different environment, a directory on your HD

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Quote from: danwood;686766
It works like RuninUAE on OS4, but it's not the same as JIT integration in MOS/OS4.

Indeed, AROS plays in a different league (never said "worse" league, just *different*). I haven't got anything against AROS at all, it's just that it follows a different philosophy (grown through anarchy and lack of management), and as a result it's simply not as usable as OS4/MorphOS is to many Amigans, since they will expect both more and different. It's a cool "research" project though (in its anarchistic, unguided way), and I think it proved useful for picking up a few MorphOS components in the early days... ;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »
Quote from: itix;686768
They are UAE emulation boxes. On the other hand as long as emulation boxes are hidden under the hood it doesnt matter how it is implemented.

Yes, like two applications running on two separate computers (with separate OS code), instead of the two applications running in the same environment.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »
both "philosophies" have advantages and disadvantages. The mixture of 68k and PPC sometimes creates problems that can be avoided by not mixing both. And as far as I know this direct mixing only works because of using PPC and so making it even more difficult to change to another platform. So both ideas are not better or worse, they are different with advantages and disadvantages.

The main advantage (what I have read) of direct integration like on MOS/AOS is that 68k environment directly make use of improvements of the new libs and it should run a little faster. But for me (when I developed the distribution) it would have been a nightmare because the main libs change all the time, there are different versions of different distributions used (propably not everyone update it immediately so i would need to test it everywhere) and there are different processors (68k, ARM, X86). Now i have a defined environment.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:10:47 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:44 PM »
I have both OS', and I'd have to say that MorpHOS is more polished and less prone to crash.
On supported hardware it is also more reliable during installation.
That said, I like the direction AROS is taking with 3D support.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »
I do not use MorphOS but I am sure that it is more polished. Aros is opensource so it is a kind of "creative chaos" :-). But it is going in the right direction (from my view) and it is a matter of time till it is as usable as MorphOS.

Offline develin

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »
I use both MorphOS and AROS, but there is a huge difference between them when it comes to stability. AROS is nowhere near compared to the stability level of MorphOS.
Zune is still lacking a lot of functionality to be on par level (well even to MUI3-level)
And Wanderer (frankly) really sucks compared to Ambient.

This is my POW as a user of both systems.

But I do like AROS and I do follow its steps when there is bigger changes.
I also try to support it with my own programs since the API is of a kind I really like =)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:43:14 PM by develin »

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »
I dont know what the fuss is over with MorphOS... Whats so special about it, reminds me of a Mac OS?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
First do you use a distribution or nightly build?

Then it seems that stability strongly depends on used (and supported) hardware. I use it combined with Linux and will use it heavily in the next days to see how is the stability. Zune update is in work (2 bounties).

And Scalos is planned to replace wanderer.

So you speak of this moment but in opensource all rapidly changes (what I like :-) )

In the next days i want to finish the 68k distribution you already know and start with a linux hosted distribution (installable in linux-distributions)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:39:05 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »
i think this discussion is sensless. i dont know mos, but aros is most certainly well behind. first thing wee need a reasonable redistributable desktop, be it scalos, i hope it will not expose major bugs.

although aros is a perfect meeting ground for us all.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
I ordered Mac Mini PPC G4 and downloaded MorphOS. I should be installing MorphOS into my MacMini and turn this system into MorphOS only OS. I will register for MorphOS too. I think they whole interface and system is sexy and it is way ahead of AmigaOS 4.1 and get the feeling of AmigaOS 4.1 and be advance!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
I am sure it is a nice OS and you will not regret it...

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #29 from previous page: April 03, 2012, 03:18:40 PM »
I want to test the new scalos version in the next days. Wanderer is certainly not a perfect solution but the situation changes every month (of course improves :-) ). Wanderer will be replaced and Zune updated to be there on par with AOS and MOS.