Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My MorphOS 2.7 experience so far  (Read 3094 times)

Description:

Offline LurchTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
My MorphOS 2.7 experience so far
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »
Well didn't know where to post this as there is no general MorphOS forum. (The main forum doesn't appear to have a new thread button).

So purchased a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver (hard thing to do /shudder).

Power Mac G4 1GHz DP (Dual Processor)
1GB RAM
75GB HDD
DVD Writer
ATI 9000 Pro 64MB

All for the great price $72 NZD. $50 for the Mac and $22 NZD for postage (heavy sucker) Cheapest "Amiga" related gear I've purchased.

So first thing I did was upgrade the RAM to 1.2MB with a spare SDRAM memory stick I had in a draw.

Stuck in a second  IDE HDD 40GB for MorphOS to be installed on.

So stuck in the disc held down C and waited for the Mac to boot from the disc. Up it booted and I was greeted by a butterfly and the mac specs at the bottom.

Once at the desktop ran the install (iwizard) and selected all the defaults and then clicked on the 40GB HDD and used the auto option. A bunch of files copied across and after awhile (seemed like a long time) it said it was finished and I restarted.

After the chime I hit the alt key (Don't have a yucky mac keyboard thank goodness) and waited for the boot options to appear. Only the OSX icon was displayed so restarted and booted from the MorphOS disc again. This time I manually setup two partitions one 64MB HFS partition and the rest for MorphOS (SFS or whatever it is). Ran through the install, restarted still no luck.

Booted off the disc again, this time I formatted both partitions manually and installed MorphOS again. Restarted and this time the MorphOS option was available (although the Mac takes forever to release the mouse cursor back so you can select anything!!).

Booted into MorphOS, first thing that I forgot to do was eject the MorphOS disc, with the disc in there it seemed to stuff up apps running on the HDD. Anyway rebooted and was up and running.

Opened up OWB (took an eternity to open for the first time!!) once opened appeared to be fine, very quick. Went to youtube and no problems playing movies, no stuttering etc. Slightly better than OSX, although switched browser on OSX which fixed that problem.

Thought I'd customize things, so changed the theme and added a wallpaper. First time I added a wallpaper MorphOS locked up and I needed to restart.

Decided for the hell of it to try reinstalling it again with the auto option, yet again it failed to boot on restart. So had to manually setup the partitions and format each one for it to work. So note to self, auto install no work :-)

Once I was happy with everything thought I'd try setting up uae, hit my first stumbling block here, have read a few sites but not much information out there. Most of the download links not working (404) and how-to's out of date.

Anyway have left that for now.

Tried a couple of apps and games from the MorphOS depository (I think that's what it's called) most seem to require SDL. Looked all over the place for PowerSDL finally found a link that worked and installed it. But still one game no go, claiming a file is missing. So gave up on that.

The other thing I haven't mentioned so far is that it states sound is supported from 3,4 to 3,6 macs. Well on my 3,5 sound doesn't work have tried a few suggestions but no luck.

Have purchased an SBlive card (waiting for that to turn up). Downside to this is I have had to buy some speakers ;-) Good thing my Monitor has a USB hub for all these devices, the speakers are USB powered, the keyboard and mouse. Also will be purchasing two more competition pro's which are also USB. Crazy Apple decided to put only two USB ports.

Other thing is I can't find much information about OSX supporting SB Live, don't want it disabling the onboard sound will keep looking into that :-(

Also MorphOS only supports one processor from what I can tell, a shame 1GHz sitting there doing nothing. OSX flies along on the G4, was very suprised. Although MorphOS is no slouch, so probably doesn't need the second core :-)
Anyway after all that I found myself back on my A500+ running whdload games with my new s-video adapter from amigamaniac, awesome device!!! on par with SCART quality. Maybe when the sound card etc turn up and I get some spare time I'll have another go at UAE under MorphOS :-)

Haven't tried the wireless yet under MorphOS, wont even try will stick with the onboard NIC. :-)

Another gripe is the $175 NZD for the key, but will start putting a little aside each pay for that. By the time I get enough here's hoping 3.0 is out.

I do love the quick boot time, amazing. Just as quick as the OSX boot time. Hoping in the end that the setup will replace my WinUAE setup with AmigaOS 3.9. Have a tweaked box that just boots straight into WinUAE very fast amiga ;-) Only downside  can't run any of the PPC Amiga games so fingers crossed for a MorphOS box that is now sitting in front of me ;-)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:50:55 AM by Lurch »
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Re: My MorphOS 2.7 experience so far
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »
Some of the issues sound weird. There's a memtest command included with MorphOS, perhaps the way memory is configured is OK for OSX but MorphOS adjusts timing in a different way, maybe you should launch memtest to be 100% sure your issues are not memory related. Are your IDE cables 80-wire ones? Otherwise expect odd behaviour and weird crashes. It's weird that automatic install didn't work properly.

What's your PowerMac version?

You should download "grunch" to install more apps.

It may be a good idea to visit http://www.morphzone.org to contact more MorphOS users.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Krischan76

• Show only replies by Krischan76
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »
For a beginner, it might be a good idea to download the "Pack ultimate" from meta-morphos.org and install it over a virgin MOS. Solves a lot of questions.

No wireless, no multi-core so far. Quite right.

Offline Fairdinkem

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:58 AM »
I like you have been investigating MorphOS 2.7 and I have been enjoying what I see but you have to persist with MorphOS, it then rewards you. I installed pack ultimate and grunch which take alot of the pain out of getting up and running. Pack Ultimate is not very straight forward you download it then litterally copy over your installation, it took me four attempts at downloading it to finally figure it out. The read me instructions aren't very explanitory when it comes to this and the installer leads you to believe it is going to do it all for you.

I am a huge fan of AmigaOS4.1 but I have now found a soft spot for MorphOS I can't wait for MorphOS 3.0. I really like Sabre MSN on AmigaOS 4.1 and was dissapointed that the best they had to offer was Polyglot which works awesome but looks really basic to say the least. I then was delighted to find that Sabre MSN for classic wb works on MorphOS so I was happy to install that. Functionality is important to me but I absolutely love iCandy and customising my OS and MorphOS delivers it in spades just like my A1200 did back in the day with MUI, DOpus Magellan, Maxon Magic etc.

All I can say is just like AmigaOS 4.1 ...... MorphOS is a fantastic operating system.

Offline pVC

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
Quote from: Lurch;685585
Restarted and this time the MorphOS option was available (although the Mac takes forever to release the mouse cursor back so you can select anything!!).

You could boot into open firmware and type "setenv skip-netboot? true". At least on Mac mini it makes boot menu quick as it doesn't try to find any net boot devices.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »
"Other thing is I can't find much information about OSX supporting SB  Live, don't want it disabling the onboard sound will keep looking into  that :-("

Don't worry, OSX doesn't support the Soundblaster card. It will be ignored when you boot OSX. And under MorphOS you have to configure it before it will work.
Also, if you want more USB ports, buy an NEC based USB2.0 PCI card (they're about $5 on Ebay).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »
Awesome feedback, starting to warm to the whole MorphOS community. Nothing but friendly advice and assistance for us newbs :-)

@crumb Haven't had any further locking up, was only the one time with changing the wallpaper. As for the auto install just haven't been able to get that to work, not a biggie as I've found a workaround (doing it manually).

My Mac version as mentioned in my post is 3,5.

@ everyone else will give grunch and pack ultimate ago :-)

@pVC setenv skip-netboot? true... prefect fix... had not thought about that. Makes a lot of sense. Hindsight is always 20/20 :-)

@ Iggy had thought about a USB card, wasn't too clear on what one. Will do search for NEC based one.

Again thanks for the assist. Will let you know how I get on later today. First time I've been excited about a computer in awhile.

Just bought an NEC USB card $5.50 USD free shipping, pretty good deals out there :-)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:18:09 PM by Lurch »
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »
@Lurch

yep! I saw you already written in morphzone after replying you... anyway be sure your powermac uses 80wire cables and also invoke memtest from shell so it prints something like this:
memtest
Allocated memory at 0x375EFB40 -> 0x5C9F53BF, 624973952 bytes
Writing 0x00000000... 720 MB/sec.
Verifying 0x00000000... 354 MB/sec.
Writing 0xFFFFFFFF... 735 MB/sec.
Verifying 0xFFFFFFFF... 354 MB/sec.
Memory is ok!

you should do it from a clean boot (unlike my example).

if you enter #morphos channel at Freenode you'll find more users to talk to.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:48:30 AM »
Okay looks like it may have been a faulty stick of RAM, so will keep my eye out for a 512MB SIMM ;)

Weird as OSX had no issues with it, so must be a MorphOS trait?

After trying to run afew adf files via UAE I'm starting to notice a slow down, so may need to look for a faster PowerMac or a cheap sonnet upgrade even if it's single core :-). A shame MorphOS wont use the second cpu :-(

@Crumb will jump on over the weekend hopefully, Has been awhile since I've used irc ;-)

Pack Ultimate was worth the install, fixed the fonts, setup UAE etc. Just have to fine tune the UAE settings and try and setup a faster quit key. Make it more WHDload like, there must be a front end or a whdload type app for ADF? Swapping disks meh, even if they're images. :-) Going to test my competition pro's on the weekend when I get more time :-)
-=[LurcH]=-

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
Ugh, spoke to soon. Push it too hard and the system hangs. Copying over 1GB of adf's get halfway through and freeze :-(

Will try memtest now and I'm sure they're 80pin :-/
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline Templario

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
It will be perfect if we enjoy the MorphOS and MacOS with Dual Boot, although it will be from MorphOS side because Apple doesn't make dual boots "they are so perfects" but buy a computer and to pay for a OS that we must kill, ejem, although MorphOS is more easy and fast, the MacOS installed is paid.
Amiga 500 with ROMs 1.3-2.05 and M-Tec AT 500 with hard disk and 4MB Ram.
WinUAE + Original OS 3.5&3.9
Sam440ep 800 MHZ + OS 4.1 F.E.
Sam460ex 1 GHz + OS 4.1 + Update 6. K.O.
MacMini 1.5 GHz + MorphOS 3.9
PowerBook G4 1.65 + MorphOS 3.9

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
Quote from: Templario;686037
It will be perfect if we enjoy the MorphOS and MacOS with Dual Boot, although it will be from MorphOS side because Apple doesn't make dual boots "they are so perfects" but buy a computer and to pay for a OS that we must kill, ejem, although MorphOS is more easy and fast, the MacOS installed is paid.

Plus, it's handy when you don't want to have too many boxes around (they accumulate faster than desired anyway, there are 7 computers in the house already, 5 of them ppc based, 2 x86 - not counted some of the usual old stuff). I have the mini in the livingroom and to have the option to run OS X (albeit I don't like it much) is an enrichment of that workplace. There are certain things that don't work with MorphOS but with OS X. I boot it rarely but I like to have it and actually use it sometimes.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »
Three X86s (that run, multitudes of parts) and two PPCs here.
Hoping for a third PPC (Powerbook) in the near future.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:56:45 AM »
Well all good today no freezing :-) Still no sign of the USB card but usually takes a couple of days.

Typing this in OWB under MorphOS :-)

Ahwell back to sorting out UAE.
-=[LurcH]=-